Would adding amp make a "big" difference?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rick c
    • Aug 2004

Would adding amp make a "big" difference?

I have been wanting to add an amp to my rotel rsx1056 for awhile.I have B&W 603s3 as my fronts.They sound fantastic with my receiver as far as i can tell.But hearing on these forums that adding an amp would make them even better got me to want to add an amp.Now that my income tax money is almost here the itch has me really thinking more about it.But the sane part of me has been thinking would adding an amp really make it that much better,is it worth spending the money for an amp(considering setup).I am hoping someone can lead me in the right direction as far as what should i do.Has anyone added an amp to there receiver just to get better sound and was it a major difference or just slight.I'm not completely ignorant i know if your speakers reguire that extra power obviously it would make a difference.But i want some advice considering my own setup which i will have for sometime.
    Just so you know i'm also contemplating getting the marantz dv6400/6500 player and still have to upgrade my rears to B&W(will be even trade,no money spent)
  • will1066
    • Aug 2003

IMO, if you want to boost your HT performance, you should upgrade the rear speakers to be compatible with the front towers. But if you're looking to upgrade the stereo sound, and you are set on your front speakers, then an amp might be the ticket. A $1k RB-1080 (or less if you want to go the "used" route) *should* get you a nice difference in openness, clarity, and drive to the sound vs. the 1056's amps. How big (and worth) a difference, though? Can't say, since it's all relative to your own tastes.

Comment

• thyname
      • Jan 2005

Rick; you had the same question that I would have, I was actually about to post a similar thread. I have Rotel RX-1052 stereo receiver, and I was wondering if adding a power amp (like RB-1080) would significantly improve stereo sound. My main speakers are Axiom M60ti with Max Amp Power 250 Watts and Freq Resp +/-3dB (Hz): 37 - 22kHz. I also know that in the future I will upgrade to separates and most likely to a Rotel surround processor like RSP-1098 or 1068. Do you think that a two channel amp would still serve me at that time, or should I just consider a 5 channel amp? I would highly appreciate any input as I don't want to buy something that I would upgrade in a few months.

Thanks a lot!!!

Comment

• Kens1
        • Mar 2005

I have the 1056 as well, which made my speakers sound a lot better than the old Kenwood reciever I had, but I wanted even more. I thought I should upgrade the speakers to get even more out of the 1056 so I went back to the dealer to audition some speakers hooked up to the 1056. Nothing impressed me to the point of buying new speakers (except what was way out of price league) because it did not sound better than I what I currently have. The dealer suggested me trying the rb 1080 to tighten up my midrange and smooth out the highs of my current speakers.
        So I took home the 1080 and ended up buying it. The difference was notable right away - everything sounded much better and focused. My speakers sound much better with this combo. You should definetly audition the 1080. I believe your B&W speakers won't complain about having this extra power. Ask the dealer to let you try it first and see if it is worth it for you - it was for me.

Comment

• rick c
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Kens1
          I have the 1056 as well, which made my speakers sound a lot better than the old Kenwood reciever I had, but I wanted even more. I thought I should upgrade the speakers to get even more out of the 1056 so I went back to the dealer to audition some speakers hooked up to the 1056. Nothing impressed me to the point of buying new speakers (except what was way out of price league) because it did not sound better than I what I currently have. The dealer suggested me trying the rb 1080 to tighten up my midrange and smooth out the highs of my current speakers.
          So I took home the 1080 and ended up buying it. The difference was notable right away - everything sounded much better and focused. My speakers sound much better with this combo. You should definetly audition the 1080. I believe your B&W speakers won't complain about having this extra power. Ask the dealer to let you try it first and see if it is worth it for you - it was for me.
          Well would it be more beneficial to add 3ch amp as opposed to a 2ch like the rb-1080.I'm thinking of the rotel rb-993 which is 200 x 3.Since i do listen to HT alot as well as music.

Comment

• phillipk
            • Aug 2004

I'll put it this way: when I added the 1080 to my 1056 even my wife noticed the richer sound. I'm just using it for 2-channel so I can't comment on surround upgrades.

Comment

• ccotenj
              • Apr 2005

i've got the same question (and the same mains as the op). i've finally decided upon the rsx-1056, and am trying to decide whether or not the additional amplifier would be "worth it".

what i think i'm going to do is try it without the additional amplification first, and then ask to take one home (i would imagine they'll let me, we'll find out) and see how much of a difference it makes in "my" room. i know the dealer will setup my exact system for me in "their" room, but no matter what they play in "their" room, it will always sound better.

Comment

• Kens1
                • Mar 2005

I'm not familiar with the rb-993, but I was more interested in upgrading the stereo sound rather than the HT component as I was already very happy with the HT results the 1056 was giving me. This could be a good idea provided your centre channel speaker was up to the task but I'm not sure what the sonic capabilties are compared to a 5 channel amp from Rotel and the 1080.
                I've read on this forum the 1080 is more musical than say the 1095 which is 5 X 200. I guess it comes down to your listening preferences.
                I've also read on this forum that by having the front L & R speakers powered by the 1080 it allows the 1056 to better perform the duties of centre and surround without the strain of having to drive all 5 channels. All I know for certian is that music and HT both sound better (music more so) with the addition of the 1080.
                I hope this helps. The 993 sounds like a good option though - I wish I had been able to hear it.

Comment

• dermie999
                  • Jul 2004

Whilst I don't have a receiver (I have a separate preprocessor, amps and tuner) I do have an RB1080 for the fronts and an RMB 1075 HT amp for the centre and rears. I went the 1080 route for all the reasons Kens1 says
                  "tighten up my midrange and smooth out the highs of my current front speakers" this is a much better arrangement than just my 5 channel HT amp. I would assume the same argument applies to the receiver and my recommendation would be to buy the RB1080.

Trevor

Comment

• rick c
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ccotenj
                    i've got the same question (and the same mains as the op). i've finally decided upon the rsx-1056, and am trying to decide whether or not the additional amplifier would be "worth it".

what i think i'm going to do is try it without the additional amplification first, and then ask to take one home (i would imagine they'll let me, we'll find out) and see how much of a difference it makes in "my" room. i know the dealer will setup my exact system for me in "their" room, but no matter what they play in "their" room, it will always sound better.
                    ccotenj,i noticed in your profile you have the 600s3 as surrounds.How do you like them as opposed to the 601s3's. I still have to upgrade mine and was planning on the 601s3's but i understand the 600s3's are easier to mount.

Comment

• thyname
                      • Jan 2005

I guess this would sound a silly question but: is it possible to add a RB-1080 to my RX-1052 Stereo receiver? I don't seem to understand how this will work, where my speakers will be connected, to the receiver or the amp. Or is it better I sell my RX-1052 and purchase a pre-amp (like RC-1070 for example). How about bi-amping? is it possible for my setup? Some info would be highly appreciated!!

Comment

• ccotenj
                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by rick c
                        ccotenj,i noticed in your profile you have the 600s3 as surrounds.How do you like them as opposed to the 601s3's. I still have to upgrade mine and was planning on the 601s3's but i understand the 600s3's are easier to mount.
                        well, i haven't used the 601's so i can't comment as to whether i like the 600's better but i can say that i think that as surrounds, they do the job real well, and that they are easy to mount (drill hole in stud, put in screw, hang speaker from bracket that is mounted to back of speaker)... i've got mine hanging almost at ceiling level (after a lot of experimentation, putting them up on ladders at various heights, etc.), and it took me all of 5 minutes to get them up there securely...

imo, they are a fine surround speaker... i think it's pretty easy to overkill on surrounds personally, but i'm far from a true audiophile, so that could be a novice opinion...

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"