X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bzrk
    • Oct 2005

rsp1068 + rmb1077 vs rsx1067

In december i want to replace my aging stereo rotel amp and want to replace it with something multichannel offcourse

What are exactly the pros and cons if i have to choose between one of these setups. I know that the 1067 is cheaper and has a tuner (which i wont use) but both have 7x100watt in the end...

Ive heard that seperate components are better but why?

Pardon my "n00bish" question :P

ps right now i have bw705 fronts only. In the future ill get some 704 or 703s
    Gr. Sebastian
  • Feisal K
    • Aug 2005

just as in stereo, a preamp+poweramp combo is better than an integrated - isolating the amplification power supply from the rest of the circuitry.

in a AV receiver the problem is compounded by video switching, decoding, digital signal processing thrown into the mix, and an onboard power supply can only do so much to supply everything all at once. therefore it's usually better to get a processor to do the processing, and a multichannel poweramp to power the speakers.

additionally, IMHO the preamp/processor+poweramp combo gives you a bit more upgrade flexibility, seeing as whatever pre/pro could be made obsolete by emerging technology - for example, none of the receivers currently on the market has HDMI 1.2, and the next couple of years may see DD+ and DTS-HD decoders making an appearance in the processor. Some of these upgrades may not be software-upgradeable, and if you had bought a receiver, you'd have to replace the whole shebang.

Comment

• shadow
      • Dec 2003

As has been stated in other threads, the 1077 is apparently a great amp though I have not heard one myself. The differences between Rotel seperates and the 1067 are minor if existing at all at the pre/pro stage. I would borrow the 1077 amp and the 1067 receiver and try each out with my speakers. The 1077 may make the difference between the two. Otherwise, the 1067 should do a great job for you. YMMV.

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Feisal K
        in a AV receiver the problem is compounded by video switching, decoding, digital signal processing thrown into the mix, and an onboard power supply can only do so much to supply everything all at once.

additionally, IMHO the preamp/processor+poweramp combo gives you a bit more upgrade flexibility, seeing as whatever pre/pro could be made obsolete by emerging technology...
        The problem with separates is "Where do you draw the line?" Many pre/pro amplifiers are composed of the same ingredients* as receivers, minus the usual tuner and power amplifier. Some manufacturers believe video switching circuits, digital circuits and analog circuits should be separated also. What you could essentially end up with are several components (separates) that may perform only slightly better than one very well made receiver.

My point is not to say that separates are not better, as in some cases they are. However, it does bring into question just how much better and at what cost? This, however, is an individual choice which will primarily be dictated by domestics and financials. The differences you think you hear may also play a role but I believe to a much smaller degree*.

The biggest reason for going separates is not flexiblity but power. Most receivers are ill equipped to deliver the clean power that demanding loads require. However, with the advent of digital amplifiers becoming more common place you will begin to see receivers/intergrateds displacing the need for separates.

After having said all of this, if I had to decide between the two choices you offered, my decision would have less to do with the pre/pro side of the equation and more to do with the power side. From what others on this forum have seen and heard of the RMB-1077, which apparently it is vastly superior to the internal make-up of the RSX-1067, the answer is a simple one. Take the 1068 and 1077 combo and run!

*Within the same product line (brand).
        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• bzrk
          • Oct 2005

Ok thanks

any other recommendations in the same price range maybe?
          Gr. Sebastian

Comment

• lvhung
            • Jun 2005

Many B&W speakers onwer 700 Series uses 1067

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"