X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

RMB 1077 sound levels

Bare with me as my 1077 is only a week old, but i am noticing something with it I did ot notice with my RSX 1067. When watching movies the dialog seems to be much quiter then my rsx 1067 was and I have to turn the volumn up on my 1068 a lot to get the feeling my speakers are full of all the detail the sound has to offer. The problem is when something laud happends its WAY to laud.

Perhaps it was the source, but i have noticed the issue with a couple of movie now. I was hoping that one of the things the 1068/1077 would offer over my 1067 was much more detail and sound quality at lower levels.

Last night I was watching the movie "Dreamer" and I had the volume at 77 during some dialog in order to get a satisfying sound. Generally when watching a movie with my RSX 1067 I would never go beyond 69.

Has anyone found the volumn levels have needed to increase in order to get the same detail in sound when using a 1077? I dont normally believe a component needs a "break in period" so I am anticipating this wont change with time.

I am using the 1068/1077 to power 120watt B&W FPMs.
  • Clepto
    • Feb 2006

You might need to re-tune with an SPL meter. I've noticed that overall my volumes are a bit lower with my newly hooked up 1077, but it was about an equal amount across the board. I've yet to retune volume levels with an SPL meter since adding the amp, so I'll probably do that eventually.

I used to listen at around -30db on my yamaha receiver, with the 1077 i'm now at around -22db...

supposedly, 0db is 'reference' but I'd be deaf if I listened at those levels all the time!

Comment

• bigburner
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

Vancouver, is there a possibility that you've adjusted the Dynamic Range Compression (DRC) setting on your DVD player?

Nigel.

[DRC can smooth out the sonic peaks and valleys common with wide-range digital audio. Increasing DRC may make low level audio more audible during low-level listening.]

Comment

• Nolan B
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2005

I have given some more time with this amp, and for some reason I just cant get my head around this issue, its very bothersome.

When watching a movie I really have to have the volume up (72-76 on rsp 1068 ) in order to feel like my speakers are properly powered. When this is the case if something laud happens then its WAY to laud ( the DRC on m A1 is on). This is somthing I noticed when I used to us Denon! one thing i loved about my Rotel rsx 1067 is even at lower levels i felt liek the speakers were being pushed.

This is not to say the rsx 1067 is a better amp then the 1077, not even close. It just seems when listening a moderate sound levels my speakers arnt being pushed, and I really expected to get that from his amp.

any suggestions? Do i need to give it more time? am i looking in the wrong place? is this amp mainly meant for heavy laud listening?

Comment

• Clepto
          • Feb 2006

So did you ever SPL tune at your 'standard' listening level?

Comment

• Sticky Hawk
            • Sep 2006

I will caution this as I don't have a A/B comparison from a amp standpoint, but I think I kind of have the same thing going. I am running a 1077/1057 set up which is similar to yours, and I would guess I am in a much bigger room then you (20x50x10). I have bi-amped the front speakers (yes I know this isn't supposed to make a big difference) and for 2 channel I can play at 45-50 and be very comfortable (great detail/excellent sound), at 75 you have to yell at the person next to you (still great detail).

However, when I run home theater (on either the DVR or the DVD), it seems I need to be low 60's to get most of the dialogue (whispers/quiet dialogue are the big problems), I too have been jacking it up to the 70s but then the issue is when it gets loud it really gets loud (as you stated).

I am going to break out the SPL next (I just haven't gotten around to this yet), I was excusing my issues to the fact I have such a big room, and when the cooling unit in the wine cellar kicks in it is too loud/distracting. I also need to spend more time with my settings on the Oppo to see if I goofed up there (maybe to Nigel's point). Let me know if you discover anything I might be able to try.

Good Luck!

Comment

• Nolan B
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Clepto
              So did you ever SPL tune at your 'standard' listening level?

no i havent. What will that do for me? In the end I will still hve to crank the volume to feel like im properly powering my speakers...no?

Comment

• Clepto
                • Feb 2006

Maybe disabling the DRC completely may be in order? I'd think that if the DVD player is trying to change the sound characteristics, the processor may be getting signals that are modified prior to recipt, and thus when any sound level changes are applied, they adversely affect channels.

Comment

• Nolan B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Clepto
                  Maybe disabling the DRC completely may be in order? I'd think that if the DVD player is trying to change the sound characteristics, the processor may be getting signals that are modified prior to recipt, and thus when any sound level changes are applied, they adversely affect channels.

i have tried that. At this point unless something changes with time I can honestly say the 1068/1077 combo is not powering my speakers well at low-moderate listening levels.

Comment

• nikos
                    • Dec 2005

I've noticed the same thing with the 1057/1077 and oppo....

I havent messed with it much and still dont have time to try anything...

the oppo settings I bet is where its at.... (have you upgraded your firmware on the oppo ever??)

N
                    Classe SSP-800, Classe CA-5200, B&W 803D, B&W HTM2D, JL Audio Fathom f113 Subwoofer, Rotel RMB-1077(for sale), Oppo DV-983H, Panasonic PT-AE900U Xbox360, Sony PS3, Samsung 8000 Series 55" LCD, Klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra for PC

Comment

• Nolan B
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by nikos

the oppo settings I bet is where its at.... (have you upgraded your firmware on the oppo ever??)

N
                      I use a Toshiba HD A1. The same thing happens with my Xbox 360. I never noticed it when I had my RSX 1067 with the xbox and Toshiba.

Comment

• chrispy35
                        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Vancouver
                        no i havent. What will that do for me? In the end I will still hve to crank the volume to feel like im properly powering my speakers...no?
                        Perhaps the centre channel (dialogue) is now set too low w.r.t to the mains and surrounds (effects)?

Chris P.

Comment

• Kevin D
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Vancouver
                          no i haven't. What will that do for me? In the end I will still have to crank the volume to feel like I'm properly powering my speakers...no?
                          If you haven't set the levels with an SPL meter, you've never set your levels.

A combination of incorrectly encoded sources and trusting your ears can cause all kinds of havoc. When you set it with a meter, you can know the system is correct. I've ear adjusted my system before and was real surprised when I got around to resetting it with a meter. Rears I thought weren't loud enough were actually 2-3db too high, center was too low, etc..

Also be sure to set the distances correct as well. Once you get the correct delays and equal levels you will be surprised at how well the sound-stage comes together.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Nolan B
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2005

thanks kevin.

Is an SPL meter just a sound meter? and is the purpose to make sure that the sound out of each speaker from the listening position has the same sound level readings?

I have a digital level meter made by Extech...i take it this is all i need?

Comment

• Kevin D
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Oct 2002

Yup, that's all it is. I usually hold it at ear level in the main seat, pointed towards the front-wall/ceiling junction.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Clepto
                                • Feb 2006

Basically you want to calibrate to 75db all around. Personally, I like to set the center a tad hot at maybe 78-80db because I find that most soundtracks are encoded a bit poorly for the center.

Comment

• bullitt731
                                  • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D
                                  Yup, that's all it is. I usually hold it at ear level in the main seat, pointed towards the front-wall/ceiling junction.

Kevin D.
                                  The Radio Shack SPL meter I use has a thresded hole in the bottom which will fit any camera tripod perfectly. I placed the tipod in the center seat on my sofa and adjusted it to ear height. Then you can set the speaker levels very easily without having to hold the meter. Works Great. :T

Comment

• bigburner
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • May 2005

Originally posted by nikos

N
                                    You do realise that the Oppo has its own volume control, don't you? If that's turned down then you're going to have to turn your preamp up quite a lot to compensate.

Comment

• nikos
                                      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by bigburner
                                      You do realise that the Oppo has its own volume control, don't you? If that's turned down then you're going to have to turn your preamp up quite a lot to compensate.

Yes,

that feature actually came in handy when I was waiting for my receiver and just had an amp

I'm guilty of not using an SPL meter yet....

but definately need to do that.

Like Kevin said ...I've never set my levels yet :W
                                      Classe SSP-800, Classe CA-5200, B&W 803D, B&W HTM2D, JL Audio Fathom f113 Subwoofer, Rotel RMB-1077(for sale), Oppo DV-983H, Panasonic PT-AE900U Xbox360, Sony PS3, Samsung 8000 Series 55" LCD, Klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra for PC

Comment

• garyandroes
                                        • Dec 2005

if i can get in on this for question i have one . What about these recievers like mine the denon 2807 with the auto mic setup ? are thay accurate ? are thay or are thay not the same as having a meter? Would it help to run a meter even with this setup?

Comment

• Clepto
                                          • Feb 2006

I usually run the auto setup first (especially for EQ/etc), but followup with a manual SPL check

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"