X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hal
    • Jul 2003

Loss of RSX-1055 settings with power outage

After a power outage which settings are likely to be lost and which ones are retained? Does the "User Settings" feature retain all this after a power outage or is some/most of it lost? Any alternatives other than an uninterruptable power supply?
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I believe it will maintain all the settings even if the power goes out...at least I think mine saved its settings the last time I unplugged it

Comment

• stewc
      • Jun 2003

FWIW, I had the same experience recently with my 1055 -- all settings wiped out, input text labels, speaker settings, the works. Interestingly, this was not the first time that power had been cut to the AV closet. So it may have something to do with how the shut down occurred.

Sure did stump the family until I recognized what'd happened... h:

Comment

• hal
        • Jul 2003

Mine was on at the time of the power outage. There may have been a brief brownout just prior to power outage. It would be nice if the settings were kept. Is there some way to store the info outside the device and download it should it be wiped out (a la the same cables used for upgrading the firmware)?

Comment

• rotel_klipsch
          • Nov 2003

Hal,
          I noticed this twice today with my 1066, power outage and all settings gone. This never happened before I upgraded the Bios with v.2.26. If I recall correctly part of the update deals with timing issues with saving settings. I'm guessing this has something to do with it, what version do you run on your 1055?

Get the most BANG for your BUCK
          Get the most BANG for your BUCK

Comment

• meridian506
            • Nov 2003

I've had a few power cuts recently, and also accidentally knocked the power chord out of mine last night (while it was in standby). After restoring power each time, all the settings were gone.

I've just been down to my dealer and we tried the same thing on their's - but left if unplugged for 30s or so - and their's retained its settings!

They think mine may have a damaged eeprom. I have the latest firmware (2.2.6), but I didn't check what the dealer's was.

David.

Comment

• hal
              • Jul 2003

Version 2.26 it is...

Comment

• meridian506
                • Nov 2003

The plot thickens...

My dealer has firmware 1.4.3 in their demo unit - the version before the write speed change was made. v2 units have always had the write speed change, so it probably isn't just that - but more a bug just introduced.

However, try as I might I can't repro this anymore! I even left it unplugged over night, plugged it back in this morning, and all my tuner presets etc were still there.

Maybe the bug is that the unit sometimes thinks it's being powered on for the first time and so does a full reset of the settings, rather than it not saving them at all. Still a bug though.

David.

Comment

• meridian506
                  • Nov 2003

Ok, so I've just got back from my dealer. I went down their at lunchtime to tell them to not bother getting me a new unit, as it seems like everyone here thinks its a software bug. Plus after trying to repeat it I couldn't.

However, earlier today they were on the phone to Rotel and Rotel themselves are going to ship a new unit to me (via my dealer), and have my dealer send them my unit (to Boston he said) once I receive the new one. They are very interested in seeing a unit that has done this for themselves.

This is pretty amazing service - Rotel (and my dealer for that matter) seriously care about any customer gripe and bug in their system.

Thank you Rotel, and Definitive Audio (of Bellevue and Seattle).

David.

Comment

• soundhound
                    • Mar 2004

Has anyone had the cover off of one of these, another option would be if these settings are held by volatile memory. They would have an internal battery to hold all user selectable data while power is off. The firmware is non volitale so it will allways power up and not hurt itself, but a low battery would allow loss of any "tweeks" we have entered. Just food for thought.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"