X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SnowdonAudio
    • Sep 2005

Anyone use Denon and Rotel?

I am thinking that with the processors changing so quickly, that I might just buy a Denon 4803, and power my front speakers with a 1095 for the time.

Anyone have a set up like this, and are you happy?

Michael
    SimAudio and Dynaudio Fan
  • Kobus
    • Aug 2005

Forget the 1095, it seems as if the 1077 is the one to go for.

Anyway, to get proper answers on these forums you must specify the rest of your equipment.

Comment

• SnowdonAudio
      • Sep 2005

Kobus,

I have some very hungry speakers, and am afraid that the 1077 will not move them for the size room I have.

Michael

Comment

• Nolan B
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by SnowdonAudio
        I am thinking that with the processors changing so quickly, that I might just buy a Denon 4803, and power my front speakers with a 1095 for the time.

Anyone have a set up like this, and are you happy?

Michael

I have used both and felt the Rotel WAY outpreformed the denon. It seems like the "current" the rotel sends is much stronger and when comparing the wattage rate between the two, 75 rotel watts is like 150 denon watts.

i will never got back to denon now that I have heard rotel..just my two cents. I am saving up for the 1077...seems like that is one upgrade i wont always want to upgrade from

Comment

• Kobus
          • Aug 2005

Micheal,
          I have hungry B&W803's and am considering the 1077 above the 1095.

Give more details than just "hungry"

Comment

• SnowdonAudio
            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Vancouver
            I have used both and felt the Rotel WAY outpreformed the denon. It seems like the "current" the rotel sends is much stronger and when comparing the wattage rate between the two, 75 rotel watts is like 150 denon watts.

i will never got back to denon now that I have heard rotel..just my two cents. I am saving up for the 1077...seems like that is one upgrade i wont always want to upgrade from

Vancouver,

My concern is dropping 3k on a processor that is going to be outdated within a year is the best way to spend the cash today. I was thinking the Denon, as it was cheaper and could move to the bedroom and fire up that whole system, then when the new pro-logic and HDMI was all sorted out I could then jump into a processor, so it is only a stop gap.

Michael

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

Why not a 1056? Or even a 1068. No reason to spend $3K on a 1098 if you are concerned about being outdated. Also keep in mind you will be able to sell the Rotel a whole lot easier for more money than any Denon.

Kevin D.

Comment

• DrJRapp
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2003

Kevin is very right. I sold my 2 year old already obsolete RSP 1066 for $950. I paid just about $1200 for it. That's about 75% return on my original investment. I sold a 2 year old obsolete Denon 3801 receiver for $310. I paid $975 originally. That's only about a 30% return. Recently sold my RMB 1075 that is 3 years old for 80% of what I paid for it. Nothing seems to hold it's value as well as Rotel.
                Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Kevin D
                  Why not a 1056? Or even a 1068. No reason to spend $3K on a 1098 if you are concerned about being outdated. Also keep in mind you will be able to sell the Rotel a whole lot easier for more money than any Denon.

Kevin D.
                  :yesnod:
                  Jason

Comment

• gd
                    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Kevin D
                    Why not a 1056? Or even a 1068.
                    :T

Much better sound quality - particularly for music - than any Denon... you might even test - and be surprised at - how well the 1056 drives your NHTs, before you bite on a power amp... unless you've got a freakishly big or difficult room, as you hint.
                    greg (gd to you)
                    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                    production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Dozer42
                      • Sep 2005

Another vote for the Rotel 1077 here.

Picked mine up last week and it's amazing. The dealer usually has an exchange only/no refund policy, but I really wasn't too sure about the 1077. So I made him offer a refund on it if I wanted, 30 days money back guarantee.

After having it for not quite a week, I can guarantee you there's no way this dealer is getting the 1077 back unless he can pry it from my cold dead fingers.

It's that good.

I'll give a full review on it later, but I can use one word to describe it so far.

Precise.

I've never heard more precise control over the woofers in my system, it's stunning, even the wife noticed it immediately.

Right now I'm just using a Denon AVR-4806 as a preamp, but I've got a Sherwood P-965 w/SNAP upgrade coming soon that should make it sound even better. (The denon will be returned).

It's sound quality is simply in another class over the Denon's built in amps (the 140x7 THX Ultra 2 certified ones).

At least try it, and see what your ears tell you in your home with your system.

I wonder how good the NuForce amps are if the Rotel 1077 sounds this good?

Have no fear about 100 watts being enough, I was planning on bi-amping my 3 front speakers, but after hearing them with the 1077 there is absolutely no need.

Comment

• DrJRapp
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Dozer42
                        Have no fear about 100 watts being enough, I was planning on bi-amping my 3 front speakers, but after hearing them with the 1077 there is absolutely no need.
                        William, what are your 3 front speakers?
                        Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• H.Donald
                          • Aug 2004

I started out with a Denon 4802r...nice receiver,I then added a Parasound 855 and it still sounded good.I went thru a RMB 1075,traded it in for a 1095 and it still sounded even better.I then moved the Denon upstairs and purchased a RSP 1068...now it sounds GREAT!!!

Nothing beats separates.....

Comment

• Dozer42
                            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by DrJRapp
                            William, what are your 3 front speakers?
                            Klipsch KLF-30 mains, RC-7 center, RS-7 surrounds.

Yes, they are highly efficient speakers, but those KLF-30s have dual 12" woofers with a pretty huge impedance drop. That's what impressed me the most, the precision with which it controlled the woofers.

Amazing. =)

Comment

• DrJRapp
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Dozer42
                              Klipsch KLF-30 mains, RC-7 center, RS-7 surrounds.

Yes, they are highly efficient speakers, but those KLF-30s have dual 12" woofers with a pretty huge impedance drop. That's what impressed me the most, the precision with which it controlled the woofers.

Amazing. =)
                              Similar to my RF7 system. You're plenty good with the 1077.
                              Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• sprout
                                • Jun 2005

I have owned most of waht Denon have offered over the years
                                Last system sold 5 months ago was
                                AVC-A1SRA (£3K)
                                DVD-A11 (£1.7K)

I will never go back, the musical side of the Rotel is so much better.

I have ditched my RDV-1060, Rotels DVD player has been the only week link for me

I think the advice of buying a lesser Rotel is good, but also, the thing you are worried about changing in the future! Well when we get there, there will be something else soon :B so when will you buy?

We all have to jump in somewhere.

cheers
                                sprout

Comment

• Nolan B
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Sep 2005

Originally posted by sprout

I have ditched my RDV-1060, Rotels DVD player has been the only week link for me
                                  I am surprised to read that. What was it about the 1060 you didnt like? and what did you switch to that you now think is better?

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Apr 2003

Originally posted by sprout
                                    Rotels DVD player has been the only week link for me
                                    Here I agree. I have a Denon 2900 that I believe outperforms the Rotel, and most everything else.
                                    Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• sprout
                                      • Jun 2005

Well I bought another Denon, the 2900, the same as the previous post.

I have too much affection for the Rotel brand to start making comments, but there has been much written already in these forums, some with my name against(do a search).

Also there are many happy owners of course.

Cheers

sprout

Comment

• fordster
                                        • Feb 2005

I'd rather have an RDV-1060 than any Denon DVD player after my experience with a 2800MKII. The sound of the Rotel is much better for music and (so far) it's been more reliable too.
                                        Dave

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"