X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bleeding ears
    • Nov 2004

Problem RSP 1068

Hi all, Well i finally got my RSP1068 after waiting 3 weeks and guess what?

No sound from the centre speaker or subwoofer outputs.

I have checked, and double checked and triple checked all settings etc, but cannot find the problem.

I switched the Front Left preout with the centre and the centre started to work so it sounds like a defective unit.

The sub gets nothing at all. These speakers worked perfectly about 1 hour before with my Marantz receiver.

Interestingly the preout for the sub and the centre are next to each other on the rear panel, so I guess there could be something come adrift inside.

I have however managed to do some listening in 2 channel before it goes back to the dealer on Monday morning and have found it a definite improvement over my old Marantz Sr 8200 which I used as a pre/pro, however the hiss from the speakers is considerably louder than it was with the Marantz. Noise with the Marantz receiver was almost non existent.

This hiss is only when the cd is paused and the volume raised to very loud levels (no music playing) has anyone else found this? or is this also a possible fault.

One more thing, has any owner of the 1068 found PL II to be a much lower volume than say 5 channel stereo the difference on mine was like about 15db
    on the volume knob, which seems a bit too much to be right

Any ideas or comments from 1068 owners?
    :cry:
    Thanks from a Mr not very happy bleeding ears
  • grit
    • Jan 2005

Your unit is defective and needs to be replaced. There's a slight bit of volume drop with processed surround modes, but not 15db. And I've never gotten ANY hiss from my Rotel gear, including the 1068. I say this with NO offense - check your connections and settings. In MY case, almost every error is MY fault. Even if you KNOW you're right, unplug and re-plug everything. If it still gives you problems, get it replaced.

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Have your dealer check it out and have it replaced if needed. Could be a simple cable loose inside from shipping.

Now, as far as PLII vs 5ch, I don't think you can do a comparison until you have all channels working. There's too many variables to come to a conclusion.

On the hiss, I've said it before: Any problem that starts out with 'if I turn it up really loud with nothing playing' is not a problem. You'll found the same thing in a perfect 1068.

Hopefully there will be a quick solution for you.

Kevin D.

Comment

• bleeding ears
        • Nov 2004

Kevin D, I think you are right the hiss I hear at very loud volume levels with a cd paused is possibly normal for a 1068.

I have not been bothered by it thus far and I could not see myself ever winding it up that loud that i would hear it when playing something unless there was a very quiet part of a song or no sound at all during cd playing.

A mates RSP 1066 has a similar type of hiss noise when turned up to extreme levels so this could be a common occurrence, but what does concern me is the fact that the speaker hiss is considerably louder than it was with my Marantz Sr 8200 acting as a pre pro.

Any ideas why this might be so ?

Have any other 1068 owners noticed this hiss ? (only when cd is paused and volume is up pretty high) and do you guys consider this ok?

Also has anyone else noticed a large volume level difference between PLII
        and 5 channel stereo? around 15db difference.

Thanks

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Originally posted by bleeding ears
          the fact that the speaker hiss is considerably louder than it was with my Marantz Sr 8200 acting as a pre pro.

Any ideas why this might be so ?
          Different designs. Most likely the Marantz has a zero-bit mute circuit. This will mute the output when no signal is present. Or perhaps an auto gain circuit. I'm pretty sure the same level of hiss would be present behind music on both units.

Originally posted by bleeding ears
          Also has anyone else noticed a large volume level difference between PLII
          and 5 channel stereo? around 15db difference.

Thanks
          I'll assume you are talking about PLII Music mode. Have you set it up? I would hope that 5ch stereo is louder, especially without setup. 5ch stereo pretty much puts the same thing at the same volume on EVERY speaker. PLII Music by default only uses the front three speakers. If your center channel out is bad that's quite a bit of missing signal right there.

Go into the input menu, set the default to PLII and then go to options at the bottom. Change it to MUSIC, turn PANORAMA to on (the enables the rears), then set CENTER WIDTH to 7 (this will disable the center). You should be closer now. I would still expect it to be louder in 5ch as the PLII rears only get effect information, not a direct copy of the fronts.

Good luck,

Kevin D.

Comment

• grit
            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by grit
            Your unit is defective and needs to be replaced. There's a slight bit of volume drop with processed surround modes, but not 15db. And I've never gotten ANY hiss from my Rotel gear, including the 1068. I say this with NO offense - check your connections and settings. In MY case, almost every error is MY fault. Even if you KNOW you're right, unplug and re-plug everything. If it still gives you problems, get it replaced.
            Time for me to eat some crow here. I did a more critical check... yeah, there's hiss from my setup, regardless of which input I select, at high volume levels. I dont think I could ever stand to listen to the system loud enough to hear it though. Additionally, at LOW levels, if I put my ear right next to the tweeter on my 703s, I can hear the hiss.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"