X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dinnu
    • Oct 2005

RB-1080 How many fuses per ch?

Hi Guys,

I am trying to see if I can just replace the fuses on my RB1080 to fix my dead (right) ch prob. I noticed two 6.3 A fuses and I couldn't figure out if they were blown or not. So, I just switched them to see if it would switch my dead ch (i.e., make my left dead and right live). But it didn't do anything, my right ch is still dead and left ch is fine. Some one suggested that there may be two fuses per ch. Do any of you guys know if this is true?

I appreciate your help...

Thanks
  • dinnu
    • Oct 2005

Okay... I figured out that there are two fuses per ch. I switched both of them this time and the right ch is working (ofcourse the left is dead now).

All the fuses in the amp are 6.3 A. So it has not been replaced with the 8 A fuses. Now the question is, should I replace them with 6.3 A fuses or 8 A fuses? Also, does this mean that I will keep blowing fuses until I send it in for resistor and cap modification? One more question... where can I buy these fuses?

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks

Comment

• AMPER
      • Nov 2005

just curious what year this unit was made in, I'm new to rotel and trying to learn all the info I can. Thanks

Comment

• dinnu
        • Oct 2005

It's the newer model with clear speaker binding posts (I bought it used and was told that it was originally bought in Dec '04).

Anyways, I replaced all the fuses with new ones from Radioshack. It is working fine now. But I am still wondering why it blew in the first place. I don't use the 12V trigger and I did not biwire my speakers. The only common thing between others who had the same problem seem to be the IC. I use MIT AVt2 ICs.

Thanks

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2003

Hi,

In the USA it wasn't until sometime in 2005 that Rotel switched to the factory mod for the fuse blowing issue. The clear binding posts came well before that...

The issue is speaker and speaker cable dependent and quite rare (less than 1 in 100 set-ups). The trigger exacerbates the issue because of the frequent on / off switches but you can get it just normally switching on and off..

Chnage to 8 amp fuses and leave on all the time OR put in for the free upgrade and be without the amp for a couple of weeks... (Though if you bought second hand it may not be free becuase I don't think the warrantee is transferable)

Geoff

Comment

• Azeke
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2003

It certainly seems as though one of the common denominators are the MIT connectors. I have updated my fuses to the 8A for both channels and leave my RB-1080 powered on (unless my wife turns it off accidently ). Currently I have not experienced any further issues, I have qualified and been authorized by Rotel to send my 1080 in for the repair upgrade, but have been reluctant to do so.

I guess if it ain't broke, I don't want to get it fixed :rofl: .

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"