X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stevebez
    • Oct 2003

RB1080 going in for surgery.

Howdy ...

Having suffered 2 fuse blow outs in a week (right hand channel for a change) I figured I had better get this fuse issue sorted before I cause any permanent damage to either the amp or my speakers. Why speakers ? Well on turn on now the "dead" channel has a click output coming from the speaker - which does not sound like its doing the speaker any good...

Anyhow ... going into today ... not sure when it returns but will give feedback on the "upgrade/repair".

Rgds Steve.
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Steve,

They we probably upgrade the fuses to 8.3A (if applicable). Rotel informed me that solves approximately 80-90% of the blown fuse issues.

My situation however is different, it didn't seem to solve my problem. I now leave my amp on, and I have also disconnected the 12v trigger. It's being going on about 4 months now without a blown fuse. I am Keeping my fingers and toes crossed, I don't want to send in the amp and be without it. I also keep extra fuses on hand, just in case. I would suggest that you ask them to provide them for you, if possible.

Good luck,

Azeke

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

It's like voodoo magic on this, but I believe the final fix is the 8A fuses, new caps, and new resistors.

If you were on the initial swing when just the fuses were being replaced, you should be able to get the rest done.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Stevebez
        • Oct 2003

I already had the 8 amp fuses and it still does it - wierd becasue it was good for quite a while then a few times in succession (couple of weeks) ... its got something to do with how the caps discharge on turn-off I reckon - the 12v trigger I think makes the caps discharge quicker somehow tripping up the fuses - the cap change and resistor change I think sort this out ... not sure but my guess.

Any idea if the replacement caps are still the british slit foil type ?

Rgds Steve.

Comment

• atinaebud
          • Sep 2005

Don't I know the feeling

Mine is still at home and I have not heard from Rotel in one week. The 25th makes it one month out of commission with no resolution. Guess it's time for another email to Kevin

Comment

• JDH
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Stevebez
            I already had the 8 amp fuses and it still does it - wierd becasue it was good for quite a while then a few times in succession (couple of weeks) ... its got something to do with how the caps discharge on turn-off I reckon - the 12v trigger I think makes the caps discharge quicker somehow tripping up the fuses - the cap change and resistor change I think sort this out ... not sure but my guess.

Any idea if the replacement caps are still the british slit foil type ?

Rgds Steve.
            I had the Resistor/Cap/Fuse upgrade on my RB-1080 and haven't had a problem since, it also runs alot cooler than the first two non-modified units. I think the Caps that are replaced are on the right and left boards, not the 4 large regulating capacitors next to the transformer.
            Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• mpauline
              • Dec 2003

I agree with JDH. I also had the fuses, caps, and resistor's changed and have not had any issues since then. The unit is definitely cooler to the touch now than before the upgrade.

It took three times at the service center but now seems to be okay. :T

Comment

• george_k
                • Jan 2004

They we probably upgrade the fuses to 8.3A (if applicable). Rotel informed me that solves approximately 80-90% of the blown fuse issues.
                If that's all they do then that's not a very *smart* fix. Why would they over-size their standard fuses which I'm assuming are < 8.3A? There's probably something bigger at fault here.

Comment

• Stevebez
                  • Oct 2003

OK - unit being returned today. Work card states change of capacitors and fuses (fuses I had already changed myself), and a "general service" - whatever that means. No mention of any change of resistors - or any work on the 12v trigger system.

Will give more feedback tomorrow once I have it warmed up and run in. Must say have missed my baby....

Rgds Steve.

Comment

• Stevebez
                    • Oct 2003

Unit back - plugged in and - ON - still using 12v trigger.

Quick listen and it sounded alot softer than before so recalibrated spl and had to boost it 3dbs to get it flat to front / surrounds - no meter used just the ole ear.

Next most obvious thing is WOW - I forgot how good my system sounds! Fabulous ... silky smooth, precise and so clear.

Basically I think the system is probably exactly the same as before sonically - its here where the brain starts to go off on a tangent and tell you things you were used to before. For example bass sounds much fuller for some reason - had to turn sub down a few dbs ... etc.

Basically my baby is back and well. I will never let her go even if the 1092 is perhaps the next step.

I hope fuses hold and the problem is gone for good.

Rgds Steve.

Comment

• miner
                      • Mar 2005

Good to hear you are back in action. After unpacking gear from Hurricane Rita evac I was so happy to hear the sound of quality music. Is Rotel the Greek Goddess of music?

Comment

• DrJRapp
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Stevebez
                        For example bass sounds much fuller for some reason - had to turn sub down a few dbs ... etc.

Rgds Steve.
                        Your amp is now running class A to a higher output than before.
                        That "general service" shown on the tag is what did that. They tweaked the bias up to specs. The factory tends to be a bit conservative on bias settings to avoid heat.
                        Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Stevebez
                          • Oct 2003

Mmm yep DrJRapp there was a comment about adjusting bias somewhere on the report (thought it was just a recalib after the new caps were fitted).

Also unit runs as hot if not hotter than before.

Will update with any further info as it crops up.

Rgds Steve.

Comment

• Azeke
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2003

Keep up posted Steve. I still haven't sent in my 1080 for upgrade repair, even though I have authorization. I'm certainly interested in your findings.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Marlboroman
                              • Aug 2005

From my experience with Rotel service. When you send a unit to the main service center, your unit works better than it ever has before. Those technicians must know their stuff and really care about the performance of the equipment that leaves their building. Glad to hear your amp is back up and running. It could be running hotter if the bias levels were too low originally and they adjusted them to where they are supposed to be.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

Gee, I have been pretty happy with the performance of my 1080. Though, I wonder if one can send their 1080 in for just a tune-up or does something have to be wrong?
                                "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Colnago5
                                  • Sep 2005

Hi, I have had two blown internal fuses on my right chanel in my RB-1080 also.
                                  First time, dealer fixed in-house. After hook up, unit worked for 10 minutes
                                  and blew again. Currently unit at Rotel for service. Can any one tell me
                                  why these fuses blow so often. Thanks.

Comment

• Kevin D
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Oct 2002

You can do a search to get all the nitty gritty details, but essentially there is an issue with using the 12v trigger in certain installations. It's pretty rare, but we do seem to hear about all of them.

Rotel has a fix that involves replacing some resisters, capacitors, and bigger fuses. If your unit blew while listening to something, chances are you have something else wrong.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Colnago5
                                      • Sep 2005

Hi Kevin, Thanks for getting back to me. Let me tell you a bit more about my rig. I have the RSP-1066, RMB-1075 and the famous RB-1080. I do turn the
                                      entire system on using the 12V. trigger. Both times that the 1080 has been in for service, I use the 1075 to do my fronts and operate in 5.1 instead of the normal 7.1. I have not experienced any problems in this mode. The only difference is that when I use the 1080 for my fronts they are bi-wired to the speakers (B&W 603s2's). Since my rack is in the back of the room, the wire distance is about 27 feet to the speaker that the channel keeps blowing. I have also verified that the wire's do not have any short. The system also
                                      operated normaly for the first seven nonths with out any problem.
                                      Thanks for any input.

Comment

• Azeke
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                        Gee, I have been pretty happy with the performance of my 1080. Though, I wonder if one can send their 1080 in for just a tune-up or does something have to be wrong?
                                        Something has to be wrong and you need prior authorization from Rotel. My fuses have blown 5 times, and I previously contacted Rotel on this issue.

Hope this helps,

Azeke

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"