X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ibetuwill
    • Dec 2004

1095/1098 Audio Clicks off for No Reason

On occasion my 1095/1098 Receiver will suddenly click the audio off for no reason during movies, music, tv, etc.

I have to turn it off, then back on again to get the sound back. As of late I may have to do this several times or leave it off for a couple of minutes and turn it back on. Any idea what may cause this or how to fix it.

The Software Version is V2.1.1 - 040205. Should I consider an update?

Thanks for the help.
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

I certainly would consider the upgrade, but that doesn't sound like the root of the problem.

Check you wiring to ensure all wires/cables are entact and connected properly (no bare wires touching).

Check for excessive heat dissipation, (thermal protection mode may have kicked in).

Just my quick thoughts, I'm sure others will provide soma additional advice.

Good luck,

Azeke

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Do the protection lights on the 1095 kick on when the sound goes off? If they do then lets concentrate on the 1095. If not, we need to look at the 1098.

Thanks,

Kevin D.

Comment

• ibetuwill
        • Dec 2004

I think you are right...
        it's sounds like a bigger problen than just a software upgrade.

I have double checked all connections and everything still looks good - no obvious problems.

My 1095 was hidden from sight so I had not previously noticed the lights on, but I have now made them visible and will make note if they come on.

Thanks for the help thus far. I'm hoping I will be able to resolve this problem without have to send it in to Rotel.

If there is anything else I should be looking at, please let me know.

p.s., I have been using this same set-up for over a year now with no problems... this is something new.

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

The more I think of it, the protection on the 1095 is three separate circuits. If you are losing all sound then it's probably not a speaker or wire problem as you would only lose one section.

I can't remember if a thermal shutdown would cause the entire 1095 to trip, so it's best just to look for lights the next time it goes out.

If you don't see any lights when it does, instead of powering it down, try switching to a different input and then back to see if the sound returns.

Thanks,

Kevin D.

Comment

• Spearmint
            • Sep 2004

First off reading your post I though maybe it could be a problem if you are using the 12V trigger, and have a loose connection. Then re-reading your post it sounds like you have to turn the 1098 off then back on in which case I would say the problem is related to the 1098 and not the 1095.

Have you installed any new appliances in your house i.e. refrigerator or washing machine?
            Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "

Comment

• ibetuwill
              • Dec 2004

Ok, it has just switched off again after watching TV for about 20 minutes.
              I can still hear some low freq. from the sub, but nothing from the from the other 5 speakers.

I swiched back and forth between all inputs - no change, turned off & on several times, still no change.

Now, after the 4th attempt turning off, then back on... I have sound again.
              WEIRD STUFF!

It seems to be getting worse over the last couple of days.

No clue...

Comment

• ibetuwill
                • Dec 2004

Nope, we haven't changed a single thing in about 6 months - no new appliances or heavy AC loads to speak of.

Also, none of the protection lights are coming on the 1095 amp.

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

What about above, are you using a 12v trigger on the 1095?

Thanks,

Kevin D.

Comment

• ibetuwill
                    • Dec 2004

Yes, I am using the 12V trigger for about 16 months now with no problem.
                    Any suggestions?

Comment

• DrJRapp
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Apr 2003

I had a similar problem with a 1098 that was ultimatly replaced by Rotel for other reasons. Two things to try: first, I would definitly upgrade software. Second, you can remove and replace the individual boards from the back of the 1098. Each board is held in by a screw. The push in connectors for these boards often become loose or corroded, leading to behavior that is just as you described. I would check with Rotel service before doing this to avoid a warantee isssue. I did mine on their suggestion, and it did fix that problem.
                      Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Kevin D
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Oct 2002

Originally posted by ibetuwill
                        Yes, I am using the 12V trigger for about 16 months now with no problem.
                        Any suggestions?
                        The next time it clicks off, switch the 1095 to not use the trigger and see if you get sound again. If so, you can fiddle with both ends of the 12v trigger cable. Even pulling it and trying one of the the other outputs.. Could be the relay output on the 1098, or the cable.

Good luck,

Kevin D.

Comment

• ibetuwill
                          • Dec 2004

Thanks for all the help.
                          I will try your suggestions.

If there is anything else you may think of, just let me know.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"