X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chaz34
    • Sep 2005

1068 problem w/2ch

Greetings,

I have owned my 1068 for about a year now. This weekend, it decided not to output the L & R signals anymore from any source. When I switch it to 2 ch. mode, all I get is a subwoofer output...no sound from the front L&R.

It automatically picks up flags from DVD's, switches to Dolby Digital 5.1 from the HD cable box but no sound ever comes from the two front speakers. It feeds the proper surround channels except the two front speakers. Center, rear and sub work fine.

I took the pre-amp out and put it into another recever to test and still, nothing from the L & R outputs on the 1068.

Has anyone else had this problem? What am I missing? Did the kids change something when I wasn't looking? This is a pretty staright forward machine so I'm just checking before I bring it in for repair....Thanks.

--Chaz
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Nothing I can think of would cause it. And you usually don't see two RCA cables fail at the same time. If you move the front RCA's to the rear outputs, do the front speakers play rear information? If so, bad 1068..

Kevin D.

Comment

• chaz34
      • Sep 2005

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the reply. I ran downstairs and tried it out. The front will play the surround info but the surrounds will NOT play the front info. Very frustrating.

The 1068/1075 has been in a rack for less than a year. I dont touch it (except to turn it on/off) play with it, reconfigure it..nothing. I guess it had a short life? Warranty anyone? Its time to find my reciept.

--Chaz

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

5 years.. You should be fine.

Kevin D.

Comment

• thyname
          • Jan 2005

Yes, 5 years in the States. Did you get if from an authorized retailer? If yes, just bring it back to them, you don't need the receipt, since they have your purchase in their system. They should check it first to make sure that there is something wrong, before shipping it to Rotel for repair.

Comment

• chaz34
            • Sep 2005

I took the unit in this morning. The salesman from the store I bought it from told me that he thought the fuses were blown inside and that maybe he could fix it. If not, he would send it in and have Rotel look at it and update the firmware and upgrade? any chips accordingly.

He never called me back today so I guess the fuses were fine and it just stopped working. He said its a pretty fast turnaround.

The other problem I had with it was a "crackling" sound on the center channel output. During loud dialog passages, I hear a distortion sound through the center channel speaker (Paradigm Studio CC). I have run an audio test sweep through the speaker and I can't hear any crackle at all at any frequency. This has been driving me crazy for about 6 months and I was going to bring in the speaker to get checked right before the Rotel went on sick leave.

Rotel is going to check the center channel pre-outs as well. I have read so much lately on this forum about noise and hiss from the 1068 that it just might make sense. The unit was bought in June of 2004 and I don't know the firmware #. I will let people know what happened.

--Chaz

Comment

• soundhound
              • Mar 2004

I would be real surprised if there were any fuses to protect the audio circuitry in the 1068. They are such low gain, unlike an amplifier, that they probably fuse all the available power supplies and that is about it.

Comment

• falcon1955
                • Aug 2005

no 2 fronts 1056

Hi i was just reading the thread with the 2 front channel gone on the 1068.
                I purchased a 1056 and had the distortion in the left channel,hiss and pop which others have complained of, took it back, it then took a 8 days for the shop to get a replacement,not there foult (or so thay claim) as the distibuter had returned for replacement all his stock of 1056's. Finally had to drive the 100 mile round trip to get the replacement of which i would not leave until we tested the channels. Every thing checked ok,returned home and fantastic sound for three hours, both front channels gone. Same as the 1068 got center and rears and sub but no fronts switch into 2 channel ,only get sub.I did the same thought i had pressed a wrong button somewhere but no ,just a hum from the fronts.
                At this stage i was ready to throw it through the window.Anyway gave the shop a call ,he was amazed,my old H/k is now doing the job again and i am cosidering Arcam.This is not cheap equipment, why oh why cannot Rotel get it right.?
                Or Nad,or H/K What can i do i really like the Rotel sound but ive pulled to much of my hair out already,should i write to Rotel general maneger DEMANDING that they get there quality control guys in China to back Rotel instead of working against the growth of the company?

Comment

• chaz34
                  • Sep 2005

I hope when mine comes back, it lasts longer than 3 hours.

Soundhound- I questioned him when he said "fuse". I asked if there were really fuses inside for each channel and he said "yes there was". Sounded starnge to me but hey...I've never opened one up before.

Comment

• Stevebez
                    • Oct 2003

How long ago did you guys buy your kit ??

Seems like a bad batch - but seems like Rotel dropping the ball here in terms of quality control.

Rgds Steve.

Comment

• chaz34
                      • Sep 2005

June 2004- Boston

Comment

• Stevebez
                        • Oct 2003

Mmm... my unit probaly aorund the same age ... give or take a few montghs - and no probs what so ever.

mbe something to do with eur version vs us version??

Rgds Steve.

Comment

• falcon1955
                          • Aug 2005

I bought the first 1056 only four weeks ago. also about fuses,i took alook inside to see if there were fuses, there are five fuses iwould think for the channels?
                          One was for the power supply.All were good.I am considering taking the one in the shop on display ,at least that has had a good testing.

Comment

• falcon1955
                            • Aug 2005

I hope someone from Rotel management are reading these threads.

Comment

• falcon1955
                              • Aug 2005

also, this is the aussie version!

Comment

• chaz34
                                • Sep 2005

Just an update......I had mentioned in my orginal thought that I had distortion comming from my center speaker. It happens mostly on dialog passages. When I took the 1068 i for repair, I was given a loaner. I hooked everything back up and the "crackeling" was still there. Distortion on some dialog as well.

Now I determined it was the speaker. Blown tweeter for the 2nd time in 2 years. I send an email to Paradigm about it and my reply was this from tech support:

"I'm sorry to hear that the tweeter has blown. It must be taken to your dealer for assessment and repair as replacing the entire center speaker is not an option.

The most common cause of tweeter failures is clipping distortion in the amplifier (this is not always audible) which occurs when the power demands exceed its designed output capabilities.

Thanks for choosing Paradigm speakers."

I use a Rotel 1068 and 1075 setup. Room is 24 x 22. Volume is usally set at 72 for movies...no higher. Speakers are all Paradigm Refrence. I want to know if the statement is true. I don't think I am overdriving these. I don't hear distortion in any other speaker. Theatre is set up with Avia and RS meter.

Any insights on the 1075 set at 72 blowing tweeters? Thanks.

--Chaz

Comment

• Kevin D
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2002

Doubtful. You should be fine at that level with 120watts. I doubt 120watts is too much either. Was the tweeter replaced the last time or the whole speaker? If just the tweeter, I would request the crossover be replaced at the same time to rule that out.

As a data point, a what level did you set 'reference' with AVIA? 75 on the volume?

Thanks,

Kevin D.

Comment

• chaz34
                                    • Sep 2005

Hi Kevin,

The tweeter was the only part replaced. The Avia reference volume was set at 84 on the 1068. Speakers were all calibrated to 85db (80 weight) and sub is at 88db (90 weight).

I sent a reply back to tech support asking if there was anything between the amp and the tweeter that would be defective but I haven't heard back. I thought I would try Paradigm tech support before the dealer (who is fixing my 10688). I thank you for the crossover note.

How is my reference point? Too high or just right.

Comment

• Kevin D
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Oct 2002

Originally posted by chaz34
                                      Hi Kevin,

How is my reference point? Too high or just right.
                                      Doesn't matter, it's just a 'reference'

If reference is 84 and you run at 72, I doubt there's any chance you blew your tweeter. It's either poor design in the tweeter (doubtful) or something else (crossover, your old 1068, etc..)

Kevin D.

Comment

• ajpoe
                                        • Jul 2004

Chaz, I run a Paradigm CC-470 center with a Rotel 1075. I too notice this crackling noise in some loud dialogue scenes. I have always just chalked it up as a bad recording. I don't notice the noise in any sweeps or anything so I don't think its a blown driver. But, I have been surprised in a couple movies where I expected it to sound great and the dialogue is really crapy and crackling sounding. I wish I could remember what DVD it was really bad on. If I think of it, I'll post again to see if you have that movie to test it out. What movie are you noticing it in? Maybe I can try it on mine as well.
                                        AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Comment

• Stevebez
                                          • Oct 2003

What is the speaker unit power handling capacity and quoted resistance?

Rgds Steve

Comment

• ajpoe
                                            • Jul 2004

The CC-470's requested specs are below. I assume the Studio CC is similar.

Suitable Amplifier Power Range: 15 – 180 watts

Maximum Input Power: 130 watts**

Compatible with 8 ohms

** With typical program source, provided the amplifier clips no more than 10% of the time.

Comment

• PewterTA
                                              • Nov 2004

To me and I'm no expert, but you shouldn't hear any crackling in any of the movies you watch, I have a pretty big collection (not huge) but if you tell me what movie and where, I'll tell you if I notice anything... but to me it might sound like a bad batch of crossovers going on...the 1075 should push those speakers effortlessly and shouldn't cause damage unless listening at ear bleeding levels.

As a good many people say, it's more safe to have MORE power than your speaker can handle, then having too little power and overdriving the amp to cause clipping.

I hope you guys can get it figured out as there should be NO crackling going on.

A good test would be to pull another speaker and put it in place of the CC-470 and see if it does the same thing, if not, it's the speaker. Testing the cross over is a little more difficult.
                                              Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                              -Dan

Comment

• chaz34
                                                • Sep 2005

Hi,

A brief explination of the problem: Crackeling is heard on dialog passages. This is only noticible (in my situation) on "older" movies. Abbot & Costello, Sherlock Holmes, 1970's Disney live action movies, Wizard of Oz etc...Volume on the Rotel is usually at 72 when listening to movies as stated in a prior post.

The tweeter was replaced once last year. The whole tweeter didn't blow, but when a sweep was played through the speaker, a frequency notch had distortion in it. They replaced the whole tweeter. About 2 months after it was replaced, I heard this crackeling again....only on dialog.

I just got back from the dealer this evening bringing in my Studio CC. We played Spiderman through it and no crackle. Played Vocal music (Diana Krull?) and nothing. When we played the sweep, we heard the same crackle. The whole tweeter is not blown, only a certain frequency whithin the high range.

Now, the dealer says it blew beacuse the center channel is working very hard during these old B&W, non-surround encoded discs. The Rotel is using a lot of power to drive only the center channel instead of all of the other speakers. He said I probably turned it up a bit more to hear dialog and sound that is only comming from the center and not the other speakers and that's what blew it. I don't have to have the volume up as loud with 5 speakers as I do with only 1, he said. Also, I was told to put the 1068 into another mode(2 chann, DSP surround etc...) if I want to watch those old movies to have the sound play through all of the speakers.

My comments: I like to watch those movies. Pirates of the Carribean sounds great but the Three Stooges sound awful. Should I be changing the surround mode for older flix? One of the reasons I bought the Rotel was beacuse it automatically switched to the surround formats for me. I don't think listening at volume #72 is all that high.

SteveBez: I don't have the specs for the Studio CC. I bet it is similar to the 470's.

PewterTA- I have swapped out speakers and it is, in fact, the speaker and nothing else. I eliminated the 1068, 1075, DVD player and all. I agree that NO crackleing should be heard at all. I just don't know where the weak link is.

Any comments? Is the dealer right about older movies playing on just the center channel? Thanks very much.

--Chaz

Comment

• mjb
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by chaz34
                                                  My comments: I like to watch those movies. Pirates of the Carribean sounds great but the Three Stooges sound awful.
                                                  The Three Stooges would have been recorded mechanically in the 30's, the Pirates of the Carribean with Dolby Digital tricks in 2003. Its hardly surpising that the Stooges sound crap in comparison! There is only so much that can be done to improve a poor source recording - although some studios do a far better job of it than others.

When I watch old monaural films, I usually use the '2ch' button on the remote to force the sound from the left and right. My center is not full range, and (I'm sad to say) sounds pretty bad on its own.
                                                  - Mike

Main System:
                                                  B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                                                  Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• chaz34
                                                    • Sep 2005

I am not going to touch the quality issue of the two recordings. Yes, the Stooges isn't mastered the same way but its all clear dialog. The Wizard of OZ has beeen remastered to Dolby Digital and 5.1 surround. That sounds pretty bad on my system.

It's stricly listening levels and the center channel. What bothers me is that I hear distortion not only on 30 year old flix, but certain loud passages and dialog from current movies.

ajpoe: The only movie I can duplicate it on over and over is the Wizard of OZ. I apologize for not knowing the track# or time but when Dorothy has just arrived in Munchkin land and killed the wicked wich of the east with her falling house, the good fariy arrives. All the Munchkins come out and the witch says "let the joyess news be spread, the wicked old witch at last is dead". The Munckins then all let up a cheer and start to sing.

That whole cheer and the following song just distorts. I can duplicate it everytime. When those munckins hit those high notes, my Studio CC distorts and crackels.

Try it if you have it and thanks.

Comment

• ajpoe
                                                      • Jul 2004

I do not have that movie and I cannot remember which one I noticed it with on my system. I did play a couple movies last night and also played some music in PLII mode and there was no crackling. I did not try any sweeps, but I can and will when I get time. I think it was probably a bad recording or a situation where I had the volume at VERY high levels.

Comment

• chaz34
                                                        • Sep 2005

Update: I brought the Wizard of Oz to the dealer. Duplicated the distortion. He is going to call Paradigm and find out what to replace. He thought the tweeter wasn't seated right until I reminded him that the last time it blew, it sounded the same way on the same disc at the same point.

He told me he would explain to Paradigm the volume I listen at, that power isn't a problem with the 1075 and that it is the 2nd one to blow. He says they will probably send him a modified tweeter that can better handle the midrange. He also didn't think it was the crossover beacuse the entire tweeter range wasn't blown.

That's about it. I won't know until next week sometime but I will post my results. Any suggestions, please post them. This has turned from a Rotel post into a Paradigm post. Thanks everyone for their reply's and information.

--Chaz

Comment

• ajpoe
                                                          • Jul 2004

Any updates Chaz?

Comment

• chaz34
                                                            • Sep 2005

Final Installment:

Paradigm shipped a new crossover. He installed it at the dealer and when we fired it up, same distortion. He had a spare tweeter in the back room so he swapped that out as well. Now everything sounds great.

His opinion, and someone elses here, was that it was a bad crossover from the birth of this speaker. It has a new one now and a new tweeter. Sounds great!

BTW, my 1068 also came back. The explination from Rotel HQ was a board had blown (that was the original 2 ch. problem) and they replaced it under warranty. Also updated the firmware.

Thanks for everyones input and suggestions. If anyone wants to know the specific board they replaced, I will look for my reciept from HQ.

--Chaz

Comment

Working...
                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                            Search Result for "|||"