X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonW
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Where to put the port: Front or back?

I was wondering about where a good port placement is- the front of the speaker or the rear? Most speakers use the rear. Some the front. A few the bottom.

Against front placement might be that having the port on the front baffle could make baffle diffraction effects a little crazy. And if the port is in the rear, you don’t have to look at it.

But my guess is that front placement might be best in terms of having the sound from the port come from the same general location as the drivers. If the port is in the rear, the port output comes from, say, a foot away from the bass driver and is firing into the opposite direction. Then all your bass would sound could be smeared out because it’s coming from different places and hitting your ears at such different times. So put the port on the front, up close to the woofer.

People don’t seem to do that very often. So I’m probably missing something.

I’d also guess there’s no need to offset the port from the center of the (front or rear) baffle because the frequencies coming out of a port won’t really be influenced by baffle diffraction.

I ask because I’m wondering where I should be putting the port for my ongoing MT design. Thanks.

-Jon
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I think you need to form a research committee to investigate this ....

Or

Put it on the front below the woofer if there's room, otherwise put it on the back...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Jed
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by JonW
      I People don’t seem to do that very often. So I’m probably missing something.

-Jon

I measured some noise coming out of the front firing port once. Then, with a bit of dampening material (acousta stuff) in strategic locations it took care of it. Lately I like having the port near the floor boundary to get some added slam.

Comment

• JonW
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
        I think you need to form a research committee to investigate this ....
        It’s all the rage with the kids, these days, I hear. :

Put it on the front below the woofer if there's room, otherwise put it on the back...
        You’re being very practical. Maybe I’m thinking about it too much.

Originally posted by Jed
        I measured some noise coming out of the front firing port once. Then, with a bit of dampening material (acousta stuff) in strategic locations it took care of it. Lately I like having the port near the floor boundary to get some added slam.
        More slam close to the floor. Interesting. Was your noise from air flowing too quickly through the port? I’ll try to use wide (and Precision) ports to try and avoid that.

Comment

• Jed
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Apr 2005

I think it was a standing wave of some sort or too much midrange not getting absorbed and coming out of the port.

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

Big ports put a resonance ripple in the response. You can't win, you know.

Seriously, consider a nice ML-TL and a front "port".

C
            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• thadman
              • Jan 2007

Rear placement would probably be fine, the wavelengths the port will be expected to deal with are very, very long. The wavelengths for frequencies below 100hz exceed 10'...much larger than the distance from front to rear (box depth). Side firing woofers and seperate module subwoofer/woofer cabinets are not on the listening axis but are perfectly acceptable and are used much higher in frequency than your port, apply that knowledge to your situation. You should be good to go :B

This is all just a postulation on my part, someone more educated than I may feel free to correct any and all misinformation

Comment

• Bent
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2003

Aw come on - who puts their ports on the front?

Click image for larger version

Name:	0415a.webp
Views:	34
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	945812
                Last edited by theSven; 23 July 2023, 07:54 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• JonW
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by cjd
                  Big ports put a resonance ripple in the response. You can't win, you know.

Seriously, consider a nice ML-TL and a front "port".

C
                  Yeah, everything about speaker design seems to be picking your compromises.

What do you mean by ML-TL? And you like a front port?

Originally posted by Bent
                  aw come on - who puts their ports on the front?
                  Personally, I was considering a port narrower than one capable of ingesting a small child. :P

Comment

• cjd
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Dec 2004

Mass Loaded Transmission Line Martin King is your friend when it comes to way more info than you ever wanted. I'm not partial to any specific port location, but front porting tends to limit the boundary loading more likely with a rear port (or a down-firing port). So it's still a game of compromises either way. You could buck the trend and side port...

C

Comment

• Bent
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2003

Personally, I was considering a port narrower than one capable of ingesting a small child.
                      The little fella is bigger (safer) now.

Comment

• JonW
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by cjd
                        Mass Loaded Transmission Line Martin King is your friend when it comes to way more info than you ever wanted. I'm not partial to any specific port location, but front porting tends to limit the boundary loading more likely with a rear port (or a down-firing port). So it's still a game of compromises either way. You could buck the trend and side port...

C
                        I just had a quick read on ML-TL's. Interesting. I've got a few "standard" box speaker designs in mind to play with (MT's, 3-ways, etc). Maybe I'll branch out some day to OB, TL, or something different. Need more experience first.

Idunno about the port placement, even after what I read. I'm still thinking front and close to the woofer might be best. If the space is available. (It will be on my MT's.)

Originally posted by Bent
                        The little fella is bigger (safer) now.
                        Good to know that he outgrew the sub. And that he's not stuck in there, with you having to feed him through the port.

Comment

• 69Stingray
                          • Feb 2007

You missed one option, firing down.

• Given the wavelength, I don’t think it technically matters, the port should be able to blend with the woofer that is rolling off. The "delay" from a rear firing port (from port to wall back to front firing speaker) is probably of little impact (I am guessing).
                          • Biggest plus/minus is that a rear or down firing port will probably have some boundary gain from the floor or rear wall. Also, a rear firing port may help hide some of the midrange "leakage". If used in the three-way for bass duties the "ported" woofer is crossed over to the midrange before the "midrange leakage" freq. then a low (for floor gain if needed) front firing will probably be fine.

Comment

• cinema bob
                            • Apr 2005

Wilson puts the "port" for the alexandria on the front... thats good enough for me

Comment

• MarcE
                              • Jun 2007

If using a down firing port, is there a minimum distance between the port exit and the ground that is recommended? Any comments on what effects various flooring surfaces have on down firing ports?

Comment

• ThomasW
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

The space between the driver and the floor should be no less than the Vd of the driver.

Thick carpet with heavy pad will absorb some output

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• MarcE
                                  • Jun 2007

The space between the driver and the floor should be no less than the Vd of the driver.

Thick carpet with heavy pad will absorb some output
                                  oh this is nice to know! Thanks! However, I was wondering about the distance from the floor to the port, or the distance from the floor to the bottom of the speaker, assuming the port is flush mounted :B

Comment

• ThomasW
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by MarcE
                                    ! However, I was wondering about the distance from the floor to the port, or the distance from the floor to the bottom of the speaker, assuming the port is flush mounted
                                    Read the first sentence in my previous post.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• MarcE
                                      • Jun 2007

Sorry, your post is not clear. If the driver is forward firing, with a port on the bottom of the enclosure, how could one measure "the space between the driver and the floor"?

Comment

• Jed
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Apr 2005

oh this is nice to know! Thanks! However, I was wondering about the distance from the floor to the port, or the distance from the floor to the bottom of the speaker, assuming the port is flush mounted :B
                                        For a 2" port, 2" from the floor should do it. For a 3" port, figure around 3" from the floor.

Comment

• Paul H
                                          • Feb 2004

????

Comment

• kevmurray
                                            • Jan 2007

Vd is volume displaced by the driver (in one direction I believe). Seems to me this follows conventional wisdom since the diaphram would hit the floor otherwise. Someone correct me if I'm seeing this wrong.
                                            As far as port distance, I have always read that any obstacles should be at least the port diameter away (like what JED said).
                                            Kevin Murray

Comment

• MarcE
                                              • Jun 2007

Originally posted by kevmurray
                                              As far as port distance, I have always read that any obstacles should be at least the port diameter away (like what JED said).
                                              I've always wondered how that worked with double flared ports. I'm assuming you use the nominal diameter of the port. But is the minimum distance to the floor from where the flare begins, or the bottom of the box (assuming the port is flush mounted). Similarly for the inside of the box. Can the edge of the flare be less than one port diameter from the walls? :??

I know these are all guidelines, but seems like things may change with the double flared ports.

Comment

• Geoff Gunnell
                                                • Nov 2006

Jon, if you are never going to wall, shelf, or cabinet mount your speakers, (ie if you are only going to stand mount them with at least 30" from the back wall), rear porting is reported best to ease airflow away from the back of the woofer.

If you might want to wall, shelf, or cabinet mount the speakers use a front ported configuration.

A couple of smaller diameter ports will reduce midrange leakage compared to one larger port. An ideal location is one smaller port near each bottom corner below the woofer.

With floorstanders, port placement near the floor allows the pressure wave to flow out along the floor with the least disruption. With an eye on subsequent posts, this is not as much a port-to-room impedance issue as it is a fluid flow / wave propagation phenomenum.
                                                Last edited by Geoff Gunnell; 16 November 2007, 01:06 Friday. Reason: Edited to remove any reference to non-DIY sources

Comment

• Q45
                                                  • Nov 2007

If using a down firing port, is there a minimum distance between the port exit and the ground that is recommended? Any comments on what effects various flooring surfaces have on down firing ports?
                                                  I actually used a down firing port on a tower project that used (1) 10" & (1) 8" woofer in the lower compartment that was very large. The cabinet was up on legs with 3" of clear air space.

I did that project when I lived in a house that had wood floors and was raised, ie.. did not have a slab.

The bass was awesome!

Then I moved to a house that had a concrete floor slab and the living room was all stone tile. The bass was completely lost and just bounced all over the room.

Definitely consider your house and surroundings.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2000

I've always wondered how that worked with double flared ports. I'm assuming you use the nominal diameter of the port. But is the minimum distance to the floor from where the flare begins, or the bottom of the box (assuming the port is flush mounted). Similarly for the inside of the box. Can the edge of the flare be less than one port diameter from the walls? :??

I know these are all guidelines, but seems like things may change with the double flared ports.
                                                    With this kind of 'paralysis through analysis', I'm amazed you're able to make breakfast in the morning....

Varying the distance to the floor increases or decreases the resistive load on the port. That of course changes the tuning....

and that's why this forum is dedicated to DIY

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• MarcE
                                                      • Jun 2007

and that's why this forum is dedicated to DIY
                                                      sorry, your post isn't clear. Do you mean Do-It-Yourself, or Design-It-Yourself

I'm more of a "nanos gigantium humeris insidentes" man myself than a true DIY person.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

• ---k---
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • Nov 2005

"nanos gigantium humeris insidentes"
                                                        English Translation:
                                                        standing on the shoulders of giants (Latin:nanos gigantium humeris insidentes)

- Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                                        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                                        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• kevmurray
                                                          • Jan 2007

Ot

Off topic but I couldn't help it:

If I have seen farther than others, it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants.
                                                          --Isaac Newton

If I have not seen as far as others, it is because there were giants standing on my shoulders.
                                                          --Hal Abelson, Professor of Computer Science and Engineering
                                                          (Refering to management and accounting.)
                                                          Kevin Murray

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                                                            • Jan 2005

I've always wanted to build either a sub or a loudspeaker with a bunch of small flared ports sticking out the top like a carb. A V-8 configuration with eight smaller ports. It would look cool.

Comment

• chasw98
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Kevin Haskins
                                                              I've always wanted to build either a sub or a loudspeaker with a bunch of small flared ports sticking out the top like a carb. A V-8 configuration with eight smaller ports. It would look cool.
                                                              You mean like this? A la Cobra :T

Click image for larger version

Name:	cobravs2.webp
Views:	33
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	945813
                                                              Last edited by theSven; 23 July 2023, 07:55 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                                                                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by chasw98

You mean like this? A la Cobra :T

Click image for larger version  Name:	cobravs2.webp Views:	0 Size:	31.9 KB ID:	945813

Yeah Baby! I may even put an intake manifold and valve covers on the top. That would be REALLY cool.
                                                                Last edited by theSven; 23 July 2023, 07:56 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • Aug 2002

Yeah, buy some Webers for your ports! Should only cost about $2K.

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Dennis H
                                                                    Yeah, buy some Webers for your ports! Should only cost about $2K.
                                                                    I'm too cheap... I'd just use plastic ones. Maybe paint them with that Walmart Chrome paint.

Comment

• MJKing
                                                                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by cjd
                                                                      Martin King is your friend when it comes to way more info than you ever wanted.
                                                                      Hmmmmmmmm ......

My opinion is as follows. Port on the front, near the floor, and use lightly packed fiber fill inside the box to control standing waves and potential mid-range leakage from the port.
                                                                      Martin

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                        • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Kevin Haskins
                                                                        I'm too cheap... I'd just use plastic ones. Maybe paint them with that Walmart Chrome paint.
                                                                        Yeah but if you used real Webers you could have a throttle pedal by your chair to change it from sealed to ported.

Comment

• MarcE
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by MJKing
                                                                          Hmmmmmmmm ......

My opinion is as follows. Port on the front, near the floor, and use lightly packed fiber fill inside the box to control standing waves and potential mid-range leakage from the port.
                                                                          I'm coming to the conclusion (incidentally after I bought the 4" ports on sale the other day at PE, figures...) that a slot port is the way to go. I think TacoD was the one that originally suggested it to me! :^x

Maybe a slotted port with a bunch of straws stuck in it ...... definitely one to try!

Comment

• kevmurray
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Jan 2007
                                                                            • 50

Yes back to the subject of this thread... strombergs... or was it triple deuces? Ok OK my vote is for down or rear firing if the tuning frequency is below 40 Hz. I know some people have had success "hiding" port noise with a rear exit. I also know some people who claim that a rear port behind the woofer(s) helps to provide cooling air to the motor. Others find it channels motor/suspension noise into the room. Application specific as always...
                                                                            Kevin Murray

Comment

• cjd
                                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                                              • Dec 2004
                                                                              • 5568

#39
                                                                              Yeah... if you're having problems with motor heating... you're pushing your system too hard and need something bigger! Putting it behind the driver means you get output beyond just the low end augmentation (see the Statements for a design that does this intentionally in the midrange).

Port noise won't go away, it may just get smeared to the point you can't discern the cause of distortion.

And Straws? Doesn't that become an aperiodic system at that point?

C

Comment

• Astroguy
                                                                                Junior Member
                                                                                • Nov 2007
                                                                                • 2

#40
                                                                                With a downfiring port is there a notable difference between firing directly to the floor versus firing to a base pedestal? I see downfiring subwoofers use both configurations, and I'm trying to figure out the way to go for the subwoofer I'm building.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                Search Result for "|||"