X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

Rotel DVD/CD Players

I am going to be changing my current Denon 800 DVD/CD player soon becuase it dying. I am not unhappy with the sound quality but that could be because I havnt auditioned any others. I wanted to get some feedback about the rotel units. What are the main differences in terms of picture quality and sound quality when listening to CDs.

One thing that is NOT important to me is scaling or de-interlacing. Which ever unit I buy I will be using it to output 480i only as I have an external video processor.

Would anyone know if any of the rotel units are better at outputting 480i then the others?

One thing I havnt really been sold on is the difference in overall sound quality a CD will sound based on the source reading it.

Thanks in advance
  • fordster
    • Feb 2005

If it helps the difference between my Denon 2800 MkII and Rotel RDV-1060 was like night and day when it came to sound quality for CD playback (in the Rotel's favour). I'd rate the RDV-1060 as better than Rotels RCD-02 dedicated CD player. I've not listened to an RCD-1072 but would imaging that the DVD player is not as good as this.

Picture quality was about the same with the Denon having a slightly richer (brighter) colour rendition.
    Dave

Comment

• Taito
      • Sep 2004

To add to your comments fordster, I've done an A/B comparison between the RDV-1060 and the RCD-1072 for CD. I found that the RCD edged out the RDV sound-wise (although the difference wasn't staggering). On top of this, what sold me on the RCD was it's more-or-less silent transport and faster response to commands.

I've also listened to a Denon 3910 (pretty sure) before plugging in my RCD-1072 when auditioning speakers. The RCD thumped the Denon. Among other differences, where the Denon's treble had a tendancy to sound harsh, the RCD was detailed, but smooth.

Hope this helps, Ben.

Comment

• SGT
        • Jul 2005

Comment on rcd-1072:

with the courtesy of my dealer, I had it auditioned for 4 days (returned yesterday). It has satisfying low extension and just about right mids and highs. In other words, it's pretty flat - it doesn't add or take away from the material. Ejecting mechanism is quieter than more expensive Quad CD-P (flagship model in newest 99 series). Quite likable apart from the green lcd (looks strange in combo with blue leds of the rest of the gear :E). Even after listening the mentioned Quad, I liked it more....

BUT, I could hear the hum of the toroid from up to about 1.5-2m away and, boy does this thingy hiss when amp volume is cranked up (on idle, with no cd playing)! I've tried other 3 players in recent 10 days and none has that hiss - it's definitelly 1072 issue. If turned off or at ~40% amp power (on ra-1062) it is all quiet.
        I've fixed toroid hum of the amp by filtering out dc from the power line, but same fix doesn't help here, so it might not be a *toroid* hum, but it's there, nevertheless.

Quality control issue? Don't know, but if I didn't hear that noise I'd buy it right on the spot... Still awaiting a word from my dealer to resolve this. Not giving up on it, yet - it's a very fine sounding player.

As a side note, that unit was skipping during the play when I started audition, but it settled down after an hour or so. I'd say it was comming to "senses" after the transport. Haven't had similar issues with other brands, though.

.....It's getting hard nowdays to get something that'll be glitch free and delight you straight on. So, good luck shopping!

Cheers,
        SGT

Comment

• gianni
          • Nov 2002

SGT,

Intersting comments on the 1072. Your post made me curious: having never noticed this from my 1072, I just had to go check for myself. Happily I can report that my 1072 does not exhibit this problem. Have you tried another 1072 or just other players?

Comment

• SGT
            • Jul 2005

Hello Gianni,

yes, that was different players/brands. I really like the sound of 1072. Right this moment I'm having Diana Krall on Quad CD-P and this sounds ... heaps! But, at every song I thought about how 1072 would do it even (a hair thin) more balanced! As far as my ears (AFAME, he, he) are concerned, that is.

My dealer will try to resolve the issues a mentioned, but as you said, I should probably give go to another unit. I have to say that hum/hiss issues are puting me down a bit, because all my exposure to *recent* Rotel did come with some kind of "wanted-it's-not-happening" :evil: .

Anyway, thanks for encuragement :T - good to know people *do* get flawless gear as it makes space for hope .

Cheers,
            SGT

p.s. Just to satisfy my curiosity and potentially save some bucks for quality components for my own amp project, I've tried Cambridge Audio 640c. Reportedly "very" good... some people described it as a "...vacuum cleaner that picks all that's on the CD...". Might be, but they've forgotten to turn off the cleaners motor. Noisy tranny. LF constipated as if bass plays behind the neighbours fence. Too bright and forward (yes, I did run it in for about 30 hours of CD repeat), hi MID and HF is just too much. Packed it and returned two days before due. It just doesn't come close to 1072. For what it's worth...

Comment

• jim777
              • Mar 2005

I don't have any problems with the 1072 either. No noise, and the only time it skips is when the CD isn't the best quality and the floor gets shaked or something at the same time...

Comment

• thyname
                • Jan 2005

Anothe happy RCD-1072 owner here!!! No problems whatsoever.

Comment

• gianni
                  • Nov 2002

Jim777,

I remember you commenting about the skipping a while back. Your experience made me a little skeptical so when I was demoing a 1072 in my system I did a little hopping around the room....no skips, and I do not have the most rigid floors in the world. Have you tried any vibration isolation? Cones, pads, etc? I do not use any but your rack may be contributing to this problem. I was thinking the other day -- isn't funny how my in dash car CD player does not skip on the terribly rough roads we have out here in California yet something like the 1072 still is not immune to this.

Comment

• SGT
                    • Jul 2005

Gents,

thanks a lot for your replies. Makes me stick to my decision to go with 1072.
                    Also, appologies to op for thread semi hijack .

jim777,
                    at a later stage of my audition of 1072, I loaded it with an old disk (Al Stewart, Year of the cat) with a nasty scratch. A very loud one, it was tearing apart my speakers and ears at two songs. Any player I tried it on through the years was not able to read through the scratch. 1072 just swallowed it and spit out pure joy - not a hint of the scratch ;x( !

Cheers,
                    SGT

Comment

• Nolan B
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2005

any more feedback available on the RDV-1040,1050 or 1060 as CD or DVD players?

Comment

• jim777
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by gianni
                        Jim777, I remember you commenting about the skipping a while back. Your experience made me a little skeptical so when I was demoing a 1072 in my system I did a little hopping around the room....no skips, and I do not have the most rigid floors in the world. Have you tried any vibration isolation? Cones, pads, etc? I do not use any but your rack may be contributing to this problem. I was thinking the other day -- isn't funny how my in dash car CD player does not skip on the terribly rough roads we have out here in California yet something like the 1072 still is not immune to this.
                        Well my floor is very springy. I didn't try vibration isolation because the "problem" isn't really that bad (I can tap my foot when I listen to music :rofl: ). For the car thing, I think that "cheaper" cd players have large laser beems that can help for anormal vibration, but for sure the 1072 was optimized for low jitter during normal listening..

SGT: a scratch alone is rarely a problem

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"