Thoughts on a buzzing Active Power Bass (Solid)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpmarotta
    • Dec 2005

Thoughts on a buzzing Active Power Bass (Solid)

I have an old skool Active Power Bass (Soild Line, 8" sub w/ 70WPC plate amp).

It just recently it started buzzing. Have a good idea that it's the amp going away as nothing else has changed. Removed it from the system entirely and plugged it in elsewhere with noting else connected, still buzzes. Wierd thing is that the buzzing intensifies when I move my hand closer to the unit...

Anyway, is it worth getting it serviced or should I just suck it up and modify it with another plate amp/externally power it?

-Jason
  • misterdoggy
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Any possibility is some outside interference ie: antenna's, anything broadcasting, electric wires etc. Have you checked the internal wiring for a lose ground wire. Have you checked you plug to see if the ground wire is unbroken. First thoughts go to grounding problem.

Comment

• azsyno
      • Oct 2005

Agree with Misterdoggy.... check the grounding of the unit.

Comment

• jpmarotta
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by misterdoggy
        Any possibility is some outside interference ie: antenna's, anything broadcasting, electric wires etc. Have you checked the internal wiring for a lose ground wire. Have you checked you plug to see if the ground wire is unbroken. First thoughts go to grounding problem.
        Power cord is a 2-prong plug, so no ground loop issue. Took the unit around the house last night, plugging it into different outlets, same buzz.

Took the plate amp off the back, all connections look good. The rest of my gear is nice and quiet (4 other amps in the rack).

I'm going to give B&W a call today to see what the damage will be for fixing. Might just install Parts Express plate amp and be done with it... :roll:

-Jason

Comment

• misterdoggy
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Just a 2 prong plug huh ? hmmmmm I wonder what might happen if you tried to ground the unit somehow. A wire from the metal chassis to something grounded to see if that might fix the problem.

Comment

• jpmarotta
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by misterdoggy
            Just a 2 prong plug huh ? hmmmmm I wonder what might happen if you tried to ground the unit somehow. A wire from the metal chassis to something grounded to see if that might fix the problem.
            Hmmmm, will try tonight. Going to drop it off begining of next week, luckily I live to close to the main office... :P

-Jason

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"