X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glen1
    • Feb 2004

1068 for 2 ch and ht opinions

Okay guys, I'm finding that all I think about is what to buy with this money I have buring a hole in my pocket. I'd like to have a good 2ch system and surround system in one although I know that it's probably not entirely possible. I have just come from a Primare integrated ht amp which was great in 2 ch but so so in h/t.
    My question relates to the 1068 processor. I have been offered a new one for $1600 AUS which is down from $2600 so it's an okay price. I have no doubt it will be great in h/t but am after some opinions on 2 ch performance. I currently use Epos M22 mains in a med size room. I'm not sure what amps I will get as I have a choice of many inc. Rotel, Consonance valve and ss etc etc etc.
    So basically opinions for 2 ch for the 1068 please and later I'll get onto power amp combinations.

Thanks
    Glen
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

I have one and in analog bypass find it to be very good. I am about 80% music, CD and FM, and 20% movies. I did try an Adcom $1500 unit (2 channel, forget the model #, XXX-750) in my set up for comparison, and much prefer the 1068. One thing to remember is if you home demo one, or if you buy and put in you're system, be patient, as out of the box they are a little clinical sounding, but get some run time on one and it will open up quite nicely. The bonus being you also get state of the art processing features in one, for the ocassional flick.

Comment

• bleeding ears
      • Nov 2004

Glen, good to see another member from Oz on this forum. There are a few of us 240 Volt users on here. LOL

Anyway, I too have been wondering just how good a RSP1068 is with 2 channel.

Hopefully there are lots of replies on this.

I have heard a mates RSP1066 in 2 channel and another in a demo room using Rotels RMB 1075 (5ch amp), and both sounded pretty good to me, but I have not heard any 2 channel pre amps to compare it to, only integrated amps which are different again.

From what i can gather the 1068 may be a bit better than the 1066, in 2 channel although maybe a bit more on the bright side.

Not owning either of these pre/pro's (yet) perhaps owners are the best to answer your question.

PS Thats a pretty good price on that unit in Oz (if new). Could you tell me where abouts they might be available at that price?
      I may be looking at buying one in the near future.
      Thanks Peter

Comment

• thyname
        • Jan 2005

I would be very interested in this question as well, as I am researching to build my first real HT. See my profile for my Rotel/Axiom stereo. I have read here that a RSX-1056 receiver with RB-1080 at its preouts would sound the same with RSP-1068/RB-1080 combo for 2 channel stereo. If that is true, why should I pay more money to get 1068? I know separates make a big difference in stereo, but I doubt it for HT. I know that my RSX-1056 would be enough for me for HT, but I am not sure for 2 channel.

Comment

• Bostonears
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Glen1
          My question relates to the 1068 processor. I have been offered a new one for $1600 AUS which is down from $2600 so it's an okay price.
          AU$1600 is around US$1200. That's about the going rate for a USED 1068 on Audiogon. If you can get a brand spankin' new one for that price, it's a bargain, although if you're strictly planning to use it for 2-channel and NEVER anything else, you can probably find better options at that price. I use mine for both 2-channel and HT, and it sounds great for both, but it's got way too many bells and whistles for a 2-channel only system.

Comment

• Glen1
            • Feb 2004

Thanks for your help guys. I ended scoring a 1098 and a 1075 for $3450. RRP for juut the 1098 here is $4299 so I'm wrapped with my deal. So far so good. HT is simply amazing. Music is goot but top end is missing a little sparkle. Maybe just a run in process. I use Epos speakers which are renowned for being 'polite' in the top end so I'll see how I go. Mid and bottom end is excellent.

Comment

• soundhound
              • Mar 2004

Cool, congrats Glen. You got a pretty good deal...................

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"