X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Some RSP 1098 Questions

As a likely, soon to be purchaser of a 1098 instead of a 1066 I have some "newby" questions about its capabilities.

Dolby 3 Channel Stereo - The 1066 has this, the 1098 manual doesn't mention it but one of the sample setting screens on page 6 of the manual shows it as an option. My question is - Does it have Dolby 3 Channel Stereo or not?

Centre Channel in 5 Channel Stereo - The manual talks about this being the "mono sum of the two channels". I am used to Denon's 5 channel stereo mode where the centre channel is (as far as I can tell) the matrixed common signal between the left and right channels, which really fills in the centre stage perfectly. A mono sum doesn't seem that useful. My question is what is the centre channel signal really made up of?

Centre Back Channels in 7 Channel Stereo - The manual isn't clear as to what happens to these other than "distributes stereo signals". There are several possible options such as left right channels, mono sum or matrixed between left and right. My question is does anyone know how the Centre Back Signal is derived in 7 Channel Stereo mode?

Thanks in anticipation for your help!
  • Scarp
    • Mar 2003

1) yes, its there
    2) its just a party mode, which I don't recommend for real good listening.
    It does what it says, i.e., left channel + right channel
    3) I assume the same as 5 channel stereo but extended for 7 channels,
    but I'm not sure. Again, why would you use this mode anyway? Its
    for fun and more to fill the specs than really usefull.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Dolby 3 Channel Stereo - The 1066 has this, the 1098 manual doesn't mention it but one of the sample setting screens on page 6 of the manual shows it as an option. My question is - Does it have Dolby 3 Channel Stereo or not?
      Yes I think I remember seeing it as an option one day...though I never use it.

Centre Channel in 5 Channel Stereo - The manual talks about this being the "mono sum of the two channels". I am used to Denon's 5 channel stereo mode where the centre channel is (as far as I can tell) the matrixed common signal between the left and right channels, which really fills in the centre stage perfectly. A mono sum doesn't seem that useful. My question is what is the centre channel signal really made up of?
      As far as i know it should be the same method Denon uses where the centre is the what ever is common between the two front speakers and the rears are duplicates of the fronts.

Centre Back Channels in 7 Channel Stereo - The manual isn't clear as to what happens to these other than "distributes stereo signals". There are several possible options such as left right channels, mono sum or matrixed between left and right. My question is does anyone know how the Centre Back Signal is derived in 7 Channel Stereo mode?
      I believe its again just a copy of the fronts. If you want matrixed you have to move to a more powerful DSP mode like PLII or DTS:NEO

Comment

• lcajiga
        • Aug 2003

Hi, the answer to your first question is yes. The other two, Rotel does a great job matrixing the stereo sound. I have a 7.1 setup and enjoy a lot listening to plaini stereo sound. Sometimes also like to listen to 7 channels stereo and I like the sound also. The information, in my opinion, is duplicated in L/R Surround and Back channels (as far as I can hear). I don't know the details of how the center is filled, I only can tell you that it is a combination from left and right, a very well one indeed. It really fill the centerstage very nice.

Regards,
        Luis

Regards,
        Luis

"It is not what you see and hear...it is how!"
        Regards,
        Luis

http://www.luiscajiga.com/HT.htm

"It is not what you see and hear...it is how!"

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"