X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • agentcooper
    • Jul 2005

1068 I can't decide!!!!

I have been offered a brand new (from the dealer) 1068 processor for a really good deal. I have been wanting to move into a dedicated processor for a while now and also stay in a decent "budget".

I currently use my older Denon 2802 as a pre-amp with a Parasoun HCA-855A suppling the juice in my HT system.

At the price that the Rotel is being offered I could get the new Outlaw 990 processor. Several people recommended me going that route due to the Outlaw having more up to date features.

I'm torn between the two...I just wanted some info on what some of you think of your 1068 (if you have one) for HT use?

What makes it a good buy? What makes it a not so good buy?

Thanks in advance!
  • agentcooper
    • Jul 2005

Bueller? Bueller? Does anyone have some input on this?

I guess since this is the Rotel Club most of you are Rotel fans...so I would pose the question:

Why should I choose the 1068 over the Outlaw 990?

This is a fairly big purchase (roughly $1200) so I want to get the processor that will stay with me for a while..not to mention provide the best HT/music experience I can get for the price.

Tough call for me.

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

1. Replying to your own thread after only 5 hours is not really needed. Even greater so when those 5 hours are when most people are at work.

2. Yes most people here will (eventually) recommend Rotel as that is what most people have.

3. You want someone to help you make a choice when the Outlaw piece has just been released and isn't available for demo in a store? Everyone that has managed to receive their preamp from back-order probably won't be hanging around here.

4. To actually help you, the only 'updates' I've seen on the outlaw piece are:

a: Balanced outputs (not better unless your amps are 20 feet away)
      b: Dolby vitual speaker and Dolby headphone (you aren't buying a surround processor to make really good fake stereo surround are you?)
      c: DVI switching. Eh.. Nice feature. Obsolete quickly with only two inputs.

As for sound quality, I'm pretty sure the 1066 blew away the older Outlaw piece. I'd imagine the 1068 would do the same. Untill a lot of units are out there and a lot of people review it, we won't know.

Kevin D.

Comment

• agentcooper
        • Jul 2005

Thanks for the reply....first off the Bueller thing is a joke -take it easy.

This thread has been looked at close to 70 times today...I just figured someone might want to chime in...maybe a 1068 user etc.

I realize the 990 is new and most aren't going to be able to do an actual "a/b" comparison between the two. I'm just simply asking some input as to why the Rotel might be the "better" choice between the two.

Comment

• ds22030
          • Sep 2004

Well, I considered the 990 too.....but truthfully, it was just too darn ugly!!! "its the sound quality that counts" yes, but unless you listen to music only in the dark, visuals matter....

Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Comment

• soundhound
            • Mar 2004

For $1200 buy the 1068, try it, if you're not happy with it you can make a buck or 2 on audiogon, ebay..........then step down to the outlaw. Coming from an RSP-1068 owner obviously, who bought it for the feature set, processing power, and sheer 2 channel capabilities. And as Kevin mentions in point 2, if there were a club outlaw, you went there, most would recommend outlaw.

Comment

• agentcooper
              • Jul 2005

Thanks for some input! It's hard because it seems everywhere I post or look it's like "club outlaw". Not many Rotel 1068 owners posting I guess. Maybe they are so happy with their gear they don't have to post over and over how great it is?

My Rotel dealer will sell the 1068 for $1154.00 so to me it seems to be a good deal. I also agree about the looks. The Rotel is beats the Outlaw hands down there.

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

Doesn't Outlaw offer a money back guarantee? Get the 1068 (which at $1150 you could resell at little or no loss). Order the Outlaw on a credit-card. When it arrives do your own A/B. Rotel wins, send the Outlaw back. Outlaw wins, sell the 1068.

Kevin D.

Comment

• agentcooper
                  • Jul 2005

Yeah Kevin, I thought about that as well. A tad on the hassle side but doable and a great way to actually tell which is better for my needs and ears.

I have looked but not heard the 1068 and the build quality appears to be on a different level than the 990. That does concern me a bit as well.

Comment

• ttowntony
                    • Jul 2005

Can you please send me the name of your dealer so I can rush out and buy the 1068 at that phenominal price!!!! That is a steal if new.?. Is this a demo unit?

Ok, I'll chime in here. I've owned the 1068 in the past and will be owning it again as I cannot live without it's bass management and ease of use. The audio performance is great, too. I run my dvd directly to the tv and not to the processor as I feel the video processing in the Denon 2900 to be superior to the Rotel....No big deal to me.

I looked at the 990 and decided against it. One reason is it's size!!! It's huge and will not fit most equipment racks. It's not the best looking unit either. It's feature rich, yes, but nothing earth shattering and different from the Rotel. It is, however, $500 cheaper than the Rotel.....At least until I heard how much your dealer sells them for...

I vote Rotel for the processor. I think I will change amps, though. But that's another story.

Comment

• agentcooper
                      • Jul 2005

It's not a demo unit...brand spankin new. The dealer is actually a close friend of mine and offered me a great deal. I'm sure if I do go with it i'll be getting a Rotel amp at some point as well replacing my Parasound. But that's down the road...for now I need a processor.

Your right about the size of the 990 it is way big..especially with all thos balanced inputs that in my case would collect dust.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                        • May 2004

agentcooper, that's a really good deal on a brand new 1068. You can't barely find a used one on Audigon for that cheap. I'd go for the Rotel myself.

Comment

• NewBuyer
                          • Feb 2005

I agree agentcooper, that is a truly outstanding price at $1154 on a new 1068. You are very fortunate to get such an excellent deal...

Comment

• agentcooper
                            • Jul 2005

Well, I think I'll go a get it......I figure what the heck, if I get it home and all hooked up and it doesn't "wow" me I can always sell it off and get my $$ back.

Comment

• DrJRapp
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Apr 2003

Originally posted by agentcooper
                              Well, I think I'll go a get it......I figure what the heck, if I get it home and all hooked up and it doesn't "wow" me I can always sell it off and get my $$ back.
                              You're likely to be initially "underwhelmed" with the 1068 vs the Denon. I don't have the time for a lot of detail now (perhaps later) but the cleanliness and accuracy of the 1068 vs the 2802 is going to leave you with the initial impression that something is missing. What's missing is the ditortion and the fat midband that Denon intentionally designs into their receivers to make them sound louder at retail store demos.
                              Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• agentcooper
                                • Jul 2005

"cleanliness and accuracy" are what I'm after. I think the Denon does an "ok" job especially when I first got it a few years back. Once I used it as a pre-amp and added the Parasound I was really impressed with the difference the Parasound made.

So, naturally I figured that going with a good dedicated processor would show even more improvement.

What I'm looking for in overall sound quality especially for DVD's is accuracy and better seperation. Also, I'm not using my system for music all that much. I don't really dig the Denon sound for regular 2-channel listening. I have a vintage Marantz 2230B with a Rotel RCD-961 running with a pair of very inexpensive bookshelf/sub combo and it sounds downright awesome. Mind you, not "crazy good" but pretty darn good for the money I spent on it. The Denon doesn't sound near as good in 2-channel mode.

As of yesterday I was about 90% sure in getting the Outlaw......now I'm totally flip flopped to getting the Rotel...ahhhh, the internet! LOL

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Apr 2003

I think you will find that the resale value on the Rotel far exceeds that of the Outlaws. Now combine that with the fact that you are getting an exceptional deal on the 1068 to start with, it is my belief that you have a win-win with the Rotel and a pssible win-loose with the Outlaw. You will upgrade again in the future as formats change, etc. At that point wouldn't it be nice to have a piece of gear that you can sell for more than a fraction of what you paid for it?
                                  Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• thyname
                                    • Jan 2005

For that price..... get it ASAP!!!

Comment

• agentcooper
                                      • Jul 2005

Yeah I agree on the re-sale thing.....great points here. Thanks for all the help!

I'll probably swing by and get it this weekend.

Comment

• Elvis
                                        • Jan 2005

As a long time Denon owner and fan I can tell you that when I got my 1068 I noticed a HUGE difference instantly.At the 1200 price the 1068 is a best buy in audio,the looks are just a bonus.I have to say the 1068 is a well thought out pre/pro,easy to use,adjust and great features,but the musical quality is what sold me.

Comment

• DelRay
                                          • Jun 2004

Do not. I repeat, Do not get the Rotel RSP1068. I will only make you want the Rotel power amp. And then the matching dvd player and cd player, then the tuner. Your bank account will dwindle. It just doesn't end. :twisted:

Comment

• agentcooper
                                            • Jul 2005

Geeze I need to stop reading so much junk in the net. I've read several threads saying that the HK 635 is an awesome receiver that people are using as a pre-amp due to it's great processing abilities, sound quality, and auto room EQ.

I find it hard to believe that it would do a better job than the Rotel though. I'm still going to get the Rotel but after looking at the specs on the HK it does look "interesting".

Comment

• ttowntony
                                              • Jul 2005

Geeze I need to stop reading so much junk in the net. I've read several threads saying that the HK 635 is an awesome receiver that people are using as a pre-amp due to it's great processing abilities, sound quality, and auto room EQ.
                                              There are a lot of receivers that are adequate to quite good pre/pros. However, most are not upgradeable and I'm not a fan of the "auto room EQ".....nothing beats the ratshack meter IMO for dialing in your speakers. I'm not saying the feature isn't nice, but I've rarely seen it work better than using the meter.

If your buddy is giving a great deal on the 1068 won't he do the same on a Rotel receiver, too? You can use one for a pre/pro as well and get all the same features as the 1068.

Comment

• agentcooper
                                                • Jul 2005

Well, I'm really not too interested in a Rotel reciever. I have IMO an adequate amp with the Parasound. The 1068 should fit the bill for a processor and when I want to increase my power I can move up to a good Rotel amp. Probably the 1095 with the 200 watts per channel.

I don't see a need to get the 1075 over my Parasound. I think that would be more of a lateral move.

forgot to add...the HK "room EQ" is not the same as "auto-set up" an SPL meter will just make sure you have all your speakers at the same levels. The room EQ is "supposed" to help tame some of the weird bass or acoustic problems you might have in your living room etc. Not sure how that works, or even if it does. But it's a feature that a lot of people think they need.
                                                Last edited by agentcooper; 27 July 2005, 20:10 Wednesday.

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"