X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • suyver
    • Dec 2002

Volume on your 1066?

Just curious, at what levels are you guys usually playing when viewing a DVD? In my case (1066 + 1075 and B&W Nautilus 805's) I tend to have the preamp between 40 (loud DTS-tracks) and 50 (relatively quiet DD-tracks). I'd like to play a bit louder sometimes, but I've also got a wife and neighbors... I wonder where you are playing at?

Cheers,
    Freek.

Check out my home theater!
  • deloner
    • Sep 2003

When i borrowed it from my dealer i used it on 70-75 on both movies/music(have the RSP 985,RMB 1075).I use Patos (norwegian speakers,91db).

Comment

• dali
      • Jul 2002

Around 38-42 for music and 45-58 for movies (DTS/DD). I have a RMB1066 with 91 dB speakers.

Comment

• Whistler
        • Aug 2003

I have a Rotel RSP 1066 and a Halo A21, I use different settings movie/music.

- movie DD "50"
        - movie DTS "40 - 45"
        - music "35 - 45"

Depends on the recordings, I used the same volumes on a RB1090 which I had for 4 weeks . But I have to admit that my speakers are some powerhungry bastards.

Whistler

The Mainframe
        The Mainframe

Comment

• Tha Freak
          • Jul 2003

Man this it quite loud!!!

Most of you have separates power amps of 120w !!!

On my RSX-1055’s “lean” (figure of speech) 75w, I listen to movies between 30 and 40 ???

And music around 35…

And take note that I don’t have a sub!

- - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?
          -Mr. Blond in Reservoir Dogs
          - - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?

Comment

• Gary Press
            • Oct 2002

How high is up?

There are some question that can't be answered!

The volume level one sets his processor is dependent upon:

. Personal Taste
            . Amplifier Used
            . Speakers and Their Efficiencies
            . Size of Room
            . Construction of Room (Wood, Plaster, Wallboard,
            Number of Windows, etc.)
            . Furnishings (Fabrics, Window Coverings, Floor Coverings,
            Furniture, etc.)

There are so many variables that trying to compare my settings to yours, or any one else's shows and proves nothing.

Gary

Comment

• suyver
              • Dec 2002

Of course it depends on Personal Taste how loud you'd like to play. That's why I was asking this: to get an idea of the preferences of the people on this board.

And naturally I agree that the amplifier used will also change the result quite a bit. Since this is a Rotel forum, I expect to see at least a few 1066+1075 combo's like mine, which will facilitate the comparison. However, I do not see a huge influence of the speakers and room construction. My small (relatively cheap) KEF Cresta2 speakers are within a few dB as loud as my B&W N805's or my B&W htm1 center. I'm sure that different speakers will change the setting, but I'd expect it to change from 50, say, to 55 (max). When I read in the first reply that people listen upwards to 70, I can't help think that this must be much louder than I use. Unless this room is really much much bigger than mine (5x5 m2)

Anyway, I was just curious. Also considering that the maximum volume is 99, I was also wondering if there were people that listen close to the maximum.

-Freek.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

My reference is set to 70 on the display according to Avia. For movies I tend to hover just under reference and music is all over depending on my mood and what I'm listening to

Comment

• MuShu007
                  • Jun 2002

I usually do movies at 65, then music at 55-58,then PS2 at 60. Mind you that my speakers are calibrated at 75 db equal to my 1066 volume at 75...

Comment

• SomaJoe
                    • Jul 2003

Suyver:

Same amp/speakers as yours. Like mushu007, mine is calibrated such that 70db is 70 on the 1066 dial (although I didn't do that on purpose). I listen anywhere from 45 to 60 usually.

Joe's HT
                    Joe's HT

Comment

• suyver
                      • Dec 2002

Thanks for all the responses guys! :T (probably no girls here... )

I guess that I am still at the low-end of what people use for sound-level. Maybe I'll try some more dB's and see if I like that. And of course, if my wife thinks that's ok...

Cheers,
                      Freek.

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                        • Jan 2002

1066 with Sunfire Cinema Grand and Velodyne HGS-15.

If I crank my up to 70 then my foundation starts moving.... lol... not really! 70 is extremely loud for me. I'm typically at about 45-50 for everything.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"