X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mb225
    • Jan 2009

Audio Quality of the Rotel RSP-1570

I’m somewhat of a newbie to the high-end audio world and I have a question. I'm looking at the Rotel RSP-1570 and the Rotel RMB-1575. What's the deal with the THD and the IMD on the RSP-1570?
    THD (20-20K) <0.05%
    IMD <0.05%

I know distortion isn't everything but I'm not exactly wowed by these statistics. I would think these numbers would be much lower considering the cost of this component and the market it's trying to satisfy. I understand you are paying more since Rotel is selling much less product than that of a BestBuy brand. But at the same time I would expect these numbers to reflect the quality of the component and not be comparable to the $500 receivers at BestBuy.

I can't help but feel like the RSP-1570 is not a good value. Are they using the same materials as an Onkyo or a Yamaha? I'm not saying that Onkyo and Yamaha don't make good products. In fact I have Onkyo and Yamaha products and I think they are an outstanding value. I'm saying that I can buy a receiver with these statistics for half the price. I know I'm comparing a receiver to components which isn't a great comparison. I understand that the amp (RMB-1575 250Wx5) is something that you just can't get in an integrated receiver. I'm just wondering if I would be better off buying a $500 receiver and using it as a surround sound processor. Since Rotel is made in China, I feel like it could be made by the same factory and using the same parts as a $500 receiver. But since it has the "Rotel" name on it, then can charge $2,200 for it.

Is anyone else a little disappointed with these ratings? Since I'm somewhat of a newbie I would like to better understand what I'm getting for the extra money. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
  • bnieman
    • Jun 2006

Rotel owns and operates their own plant in China which cannot be said for the other brands you have listed.

Let your ears do the decision making. When I upgraded from using a Denon AVR as a preamp/processor (in combination with a RMB-1075) to the Rotel RSP-1068 as my preamp/processor the entire sound stage opened up and I was hearing things in recordings I had never heard before.

Again, it's all personal preference and you should listen to both. Your Rotel dealer should let you take home and demo some equipment (if not the 15 series probably the 10 series) and put that up against your Onkyo and Yamaha. See if the dealer will let you borrow a 2 channel Rotel amp possibly to test the preamp capabilities of the Onkyo or Yamaha against a Rotel preamp.

We can say all we want on here but nothing is like testing for yourself

Best of luck and let us know what you decide to do!

Cheers,
    Bryan
    Guide: Ripping DVD-Audio Discs (DVD-A) to FLAC in Windows

Comment

• gianni
      • Nov 2002

A word of advice:

Do not ever judge a component based solely on published specifications. This is a fundamental error. Published specifications alone can be misleading and rarely tell you whether or not a component's sound quality is acceptable to you.

In some cases, a glaring weakness in a published spec can predict a potential performance issue. However, the numbers you are quoting for the Rotel specs are well within what would be expected. Slightly better specs on paper tell you very little.

Bottom line: try to learn a little about comparative listening, there are some good articles out there on this topic. Then, do some of your own.

Remember, there are some components with stellar specs which may be very disappointing.

Comment

• 1oldguy
        • Dec 2008

Wondering if the hdmi bugs have been taken care of by Rotel?Also how does this stack up against pioneer receivers?
        A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• MickeyVee
          • Jun 2009

the Rotel system is awesome. if you're looking at any real competition in a similar price range, I'd take a look at the Arcam AVR-600. If I knew about it when I bought my Rotel, I probably would have gone Arcam. Not to say that I'm not happy, but the Arcam has room correction, Dolby volume and is probably better for 2 channel. If you're going to drive tough speakers, the Rotel is a much better choice. I'm driving Martin Logan's and they would bring the Pioneer to its knees.

Given that, I pretty happy with my Rotel system. If I do setup a second system, it will be Arcam.

BTW.. the HDMI on my 1560 AVR is flawless.. no problems at all. The 1570 uses the same firmware.

Good Luck!
          Martin Logan Vista, Vignette, Grotto i, B&W M-1 ~ Wireless iTunes to new AppleTV & Oppo BDP-83 > PS Audio DLIII DAC > Rotel RSX-1560 ~

Comment

• Frank Helmling
            • May 2009

@MickeyVee: Can't believe that the HDMI is flawless! This is the only serious issue with ROTEL's AV-range and I've never heard of anyone gotten rid of it...!

What firmware version do you use? I own a RSX 1550 and this is my only real complain.
            Greetz from Monnem (Mannheim)

Frank

Comment

• hifiguymi
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2007

The only time I run into HDMI problems with 15 Series Rotel gear is with older displays. The 10 Series was a little more difficult at times but the 15 Series is fine.

You can find the current firmware here - http://www.bwgroup-support.com/software.html . Once you're there, select the brand and model to get the latest versions. To check what you have, just hold the mute button down on the front panel for a couple of seconds and it will flash on the display.

Eric

Comment

• Frank Helmling
                • May 2009

@Eric: Thanks! But it's the current firmware version I've got. The Dropout of the first 2 seconds via HDMI is still there. What the firmware recently fixed was the dropout via optical link: It's just a short "click" sound and then the playback starts... . Not a "dropout" any more.

But the HDMI issue has never been solved, as far as I know...
                Greetz from Monnem (Mannheim)

Frank

Comment

• chanlon
                  • Sep 2003

HDMI flawless? I don't think that exists on any model.
                  The HDMI implementation works much better on the 15 series VS the 10.
                  There is still the 2-3 second HDMI audio delay. For some reason, Rotel can't or choose not to correct this. I don't understand this.

As far as comparing it with a Pioneer as a preamp/processor, Rotel sounds much more detailed and has a wider soundstage IMO. HDMI wise, I find the Pioneer snaps onto HDMI signals faster and has no audio delay over HDMI - at least with the current Elite models I auditioned.

Originally posted by 1oldguy
                  Wondering if the hdmi bugs have been taken care of by Rotel?Also how does this stack up against pioneer receivers?

Comment

• MickeyVee
                    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Frank Helmling
                    @MickeyVee: Can't believe that the HDMI is flawless! This is the only serious issue with ROTEL's AV-range and I've never heard of anyone gotten rid of it...!

What firmware version do you use? I own a RSX 1550 and this is my only real complain.
                    Not sure of the firmware version but I did do a complete update about a month ago so I probably have the latest.

I'm running a PS3, Oppo BD-83 and a HP Mini Netbook with HDMI through the AVR. Also tried the Apple TV via HDMI. No problems at all other than a 1 or 2 second delay when switching. I believe this is normal so the system can sync up. The TV is a 46" Sharp D94-SE.
                    Martin Logan Vista, Vignette, Grotto i, B&W M-1 ~ Wireless iTunes to new AppleTV & Oppo BDP-83 > PS Audio DLIII DAC > Rotel RSX-1560 ~

Comment

• 1oldguy
                      • Dec 2008

Hi Mickeyvee

Just went on the arcam site.It appears that there are 3 different preamps there.Curious if you have a preference for 1 over the other?What would be considered the best of the lot?And would it be worth it?
                      A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• ray5
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by chanlon
                        HDMI flawless? I don't think that exists on any model.
                        The HDMI implementation works much better on the 15 series VS the 10.
                        There is still the 2-3 second HDMI audio delay. For some reason, Rotel can't or choose not to correct this. I don't understand this.

As far as comparing it with a Pioneer as a preamp/processor, Rotel sounds much more detailed and has a wider soundstage IMO. HDMI wise, I find the Pioneer snaps onto HDMI signals faster and has no audio delay over HDMI - at least with the current Elite models I auditioned.
                        I did an update to mine a month ago, prior to that the HDMI delay was about 5-7 seconds now it is about 2-3. So, better but not gone.
                        Ray

Comment

• MickeyVee
                          • Jun 2009

Originally posted by 1oldguy
                          Hi Mickeyvee

Just went on the arcam site.It appears that there are 3 different preamps there.Curious if you have a preference for 1 over the other?What would be considered the best of the lot?And would it be worth it?

The Arcam AV-888. Even the AVR-600 if 120 solid watts per channel is sufficient. (I read in an interview that the AVR 600 is stable down to two ohms.. that's one solid amp - never mind the cudos it's been getting for sound quality) I'd even do the AVR-600 over the 1570 & 1575 combo.. but that's my preferece from auditioning. BTW, price wise, the Rotel separates aand teh AVR-600 are in teh same ball park. Not sure of the 888 pricing but it is out of my league.
                          Again, I'm not shooting down the Rotel at all.. Love my 1560 AVR. but if i had to do it all over again...

Comment

• Alaric
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by gianni
                            A word of advice:

Do not ever judge a component based solely on published specifications. This is a fundamental error. Published specifications alone can be misleading and rarely tell you whether or not a component's sound quality is acceptable to you.

In some cases, a glaring weakness in a published spec can predict a potential performance issue. However, the numbers you are quoting for the Rotel specs are well within what would be expected. Slightly better specs on paper tell you very little.

Bottom line: try to learn a little about comparative listening, there are some good articles out there on this topic. Then, do some of your own.

Remember, there are some components with stellar specs which may be very disappointing.
                            ^+1. If you want to see (hear) the difference, you won't do it on paper. Look at the numbers for McIntosh tube gear. Then listen to it.
                            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                            Schiit Modi 3
                            Marantz CD5005
                            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• madmac
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2010

Everything said about Rotel above is true. My Rotel AVR (5X75watts) destroyed my old Yamaha (5X100 watts) when I switched it out. Soundstage....dynamic power.....detail. I felt like I was listening to my music for the first time again.

Ignore the specs and listen for yourself !
                              Dan Madden :T

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"