X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lcajiga
    • Aug 2003

New 1098 firmware uploaded (v1.1.4)

Hi guys, just wanted to let you know that Rotel is doing good things with for we 1098 owners. I had the opportunity to upgrade my 1098 this weekend with the new (not release yet) firmware version v1.1.4-030923. I need to tell you that my previous firmware was v1.1.0-030626.

I'm glad to inform you that all my video issues went away with that new version. I have no more problems watching 1098i sources while having the Progressive option to YES and menu output to both display and TV. They included more options in the Progressive menu option like v1, v2, v3, v4 and it's combinations.

The font for the temporary adjustments like volume, etc. was not modified and still have the issue with the Zone 2 12v trigger that I mentioned beefore.

Another excellent surprise is that after the upgrade, the sound of the 1098 in HT mode is improved. The sound separation is better and I watched some movie portions that were godd and they sounded better big time. I don't know if that is because I had an early verion of the software but definitively there is an improvement in that area. Stereo sound is marvelous as before the upgrade.

Well guys, I'm still experimenting but will let you know what else new they included. If you need any specific test that I may reproduce, I will gladly do it for you.

Regards,
    Luis

Regards,
    Luis

"It is not what you see and hear...it is how!"
    Regards,
    Luis

http://www.luiscajiga.com/HT.htm

"It is not what you see and hear...it is how!"
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Excellent news indeed:T

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

Luis,

This is wonderful news, should I be the first to ask how you got it, or just wait :LOL:.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• cofn
        • Dec 2002

ARGH!!!!!!

I just got an email from Tim with the new firmware. I did the upgrade, and the DTS-ES issue still exists, damn it!!! By the correspondence I have had with Tim, I though the DTS issue was the main focus of the new Firmware being developed, but evidentaly not. Yea for the progrssive fix, and any other little tweeks done, but to me the DTS isssue is huge deal. Hopefully this will be addressed in the near future. I have let him know my findings, and am awaiting a response. I will keep you all posted.

Comment

• Danbry39
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Sep 2002

Great news, indeed. It feels so good that Rotel continuously works to improve their products. Makes us Rotel users feel kind of secure that way.

Keith
          Keith

Comment

• Scarp
            • Mar 2003

Maybe I missed something, but what DTS issue?

Comment

• cofn
              • Dec 2002

Scarp,

2 things I have noticed with DTS on the 1098.

1. When using a DTS ES Matrixed signal, the 1098 does not lock on and recognize it. If you go to sur+ and try to select it as a sound field, it does not exist. You only get DTS, DTS +XS and DTS Downmix. No Matrixed at all.

2. DTS-ES Discrete doesn't work properly. It is reproducing a Matrixed signal. The sound coming from the 1 or 2 center back channels is the same signal as the r/l surrounds. When you try to send a discrete signal to the CB speaker, you get nothing at all. The 1098 actually seems to drop the signal all together, as it locks onto the signal again when you send a test tone to different channel.

The above 2 results were reached with the Sound and Vision Home Theater Tune up DVD. I used this disc to calibrate my old RSP 1066 and it worked fine, so I am fairly confident it is not the DVD itself. Also I was able to reproduce this issue on the in store demo unit to the shock and surpise of my salesman.

As an update to all, I was emailed back from Tim today, and suggested that I do a fatory reset on the unit after the upgrade, and this should fix the issue. I did so, and still no luck. Still awaiting more info.

Comment

• Scarp
                • Mar 2003

Ow... hmm... I have a 5.0 system (no sub), so don't have problems with this

Comment

• jimmyp58
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2003

I just received an e-mail reply from Tim and he said the "official" new software upgrade for the 1098 has not been released as of yet. So, how did you guys go about getting yours???

Jim
                  jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• cofn
                    • Dec 2002

Jimmyp58,

I was emailed direct from Tim at Rotel with the new firmware. We have been talking baout the DTS issue for quite some time, so Iwas sent the firmware in hopes it would fix the issue.

Comment

• jimmyp58
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2003

I just received another e-mail from Tim on this issue and he eluded that he was working with only one person from this forum (I count two) and that the "official" version may not be released for some time until they are rock solid certain it addresses the issues it was meant to fix. So folks, it may be a while before we see it.

Jim

Comment

• cadman
                        • Sep 2003

Can I plz have that update thanks
                        v1.1.4-030923

aldodiloreto@hotmail.com

Comment

• jimmyp58
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Aug 2003

Cadman:

You cannot receive the new firmware from this site. You have to go to the Rotel website; this is just a Rotel forum. If it were available for general release, you would find it under technical updates. As mentioned earlier in this thread, Tim from Rotel told me that it may be a bit before they release it for the masses to download as they want to be rock-solid sure it is good to go. As he mentioned, they are working with one guy from this forum with the new release due to some issues he's experienced.

Jim

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

There's more then one of us working with them on the issues

Comment

• Sithlord10
                              • Apr 2003

Just a quick question.. How are you guys uploading the firmware to the 1098 are you hooking your pc to the 1098 and then installing it?. Would be a pain to have to disconnect everything from the 1098 and have to hook it up to the pc.

Comment

• Scarp
                                • Mar 2003

Or use a laptop that you can put next to the unit? (don't forget to turn off the screensaver and powersaving features since updating took long on the 1066 and I assume it hasn't changed much for the 1098 ).

Did anyone try an extension cord for a network cable? Would that work or is it completely wired weird?

Comment

• Sithlord10
                                  • Apr 2003

As a laptop would be the way to go, unfortunatly not all of us own a laptop. The only other way would be what I mentioned before or take it to their dealer in the hope they have a computer. Forget having to send it to Rotel to do it. Going without the 1098 for 2 weeks would be hell. Had to do that when I owned a Denon receiver. But I guess it made me appreciate my HT even more. Lets hope the next firmware will have enough changes to keep us all happy for some time

Comment

• cofn
                                    • Dec 2002

I made my own cable from a old serial connector and a 20 foot network cable, my computer is about 15 feet away from my HT, so I have a little to spare.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

The instructions on how to build your own cable are in the FAQ. You should be able to make it just about as long as you need to within reason.

Comment

• Arnold van Oostrum
                                        • Sep 2002

Remove upon request by author

Comment

• Tomek
                                          • Oct 2003

How can I tell what version of software/firmware is on the 1098? Are there any updates available so far for the 1098? I see none on Rotel's web site.

Comment

• Azeke
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Mar 2003

Just hold the mute button for approximately 4 to 5 seconds and it will reveal your current version.

I believe the firmware is not available on Rotel's website because it is still in beta testing and Rotel was to ensure that the firmware functions properly before it's release to the general public.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"