X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • art vandeleigh
    • Oct 2003

Just picked up my 1055

Hi all, well I have been trolling around here for a while and since I just picked up my 1055 I thought I might ask some questions.

I have the new remote, 1050 and I dont know how to adjust the bass and treble settings from this new remote. the instructions are for the older model and requires you to use the "shift" key. but on the new remote i dont see any "shift" key. the only way is to go into the main menu.

secondly, i am currently using my dvd player as my cd player and was wondering if it would be better to use a toslink optical cable or a normal rca cable for the inputs and outputs....i did not have time to try a back to back comparrison...but just wanted to know in theory what would be better. Thanks all!!!!

also i am upgrading from a VERY old nakamichi av7 avr...and the sonic difference is very different. the sound comming off my B&W cdm 7nt's are very warm. compared to the very bright and almost harsh sounding nakamichi. all in all i am very happy with the purchase.

thanks again for any help.

***never mind. i found the "tone" key....***

There is one more thing, when i press the "on" from the remote, the blue light above the power button on the face of the 1055 goes out as if the power cord was unplugged...then the blue light comes back on and the unit turns on. is this normal??
  • art vandeleigh
    • Oct 2003

wow 66 views and not one response....hhmmm well i hope i get a better turnout over the week.

but so far i am a little dissapointed with the sound of the 1055. i am supposedly upgrading from a very old nakamichi av7. i am using B&W CDM 7NT as my mains and the sound is not what i was expecting.

Originally posted by art vandeleigh
    Hi all, well I have been trolling around here for a while and since I just picked up my 1055 I thought I might ask some questions.

I have the new remote, 1050 and I dont know how to adjust the bass and treble settings from this new remote. the instructions are for the older model and requires you to use the "shift" key. but on the new remote i dont see any "shift" key. the only way is to go into the main menu.

secondly, i am currently using my dvd player as my cd player and was wondering if it would be better to use a toslink optical cable or a normal rca cable for the inputs and outputs....i did not have time to try a back to back comparrison...but just wanted to know in theory what would be better. Thanks all!!!!

also i am upgrading from a VERY old nakamichi av7 avr...and the sonic difference is very different. the sound comming off my B&W cdm 7nt's are very warm. compared to the very bright and almost harsh sounding nakamichi. all in all i am very happy with the purchase.

thanks again for any help.

***never mind. i found the "tone" key....***

There is one more thing, when i press the "on" from the remote, the blue light above the power button on the face of the 1055 goes out as if the power cord was unplugged...then the blue light comes back on and the unit turns on. is this normal??

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Sorry being doing yard work all day Remember some of those views were likly lurkers like you were not so long ago

It depends on which device has the better DACs. I prefer the DAC in my Denon 1600 DVD player over my 1098's but the 1098 smokes the DAC in my Sony Jukebox so there's really no clear cut answer.

Comment

• art vandeleigh
        • Oct 2003

andrew pratt: thanks for your response. ok i guess i will just have to do more research on the DAC of my DVD player...so what about the powering on issue i have. is this normal?? again when i turn the "on" the 1055 via the remote, the blue light above the power button on the unit itself turns off, then it turns back on...is this normal? seems kinda weird to me it does this....

Comment

• Whozit
          • Jan 2003

Yes, it is normal. I have the RSP 1066 but I assume the operation is the same.

Comment

• art vandeleigh
            • Oct 2003

whozit: thanks!!! now that i have all that out of the way on to my impressions...

I am using B&W CDM 7NT as my mains and the sound is very warm...almost "laid back" in a way. the nakamichi was very bright and high. the bass on the 1055 is really lacking and does not produce the low ends that the nakamichi does. but at very high volumes the 1055 is very stable and steady, whereas the nakamichi starts to blend all the sounds together and the music is lost in a cacaphony(spelling??) of sounds.

but i fell that the sound lacks "pressence." it gets loud enough by it feels kinda distant and just lacking something. again the bass is horrible!!!!! the speakers just seem to laugh at the bass output of the 1055.

but the sound is very clear. i guess this is what a semi high end unit will sound like. the nakamichi just soiunded "dirty" in a way....

i wonder how the 1065 will sound with the added 25 watts...but i dont 25 watts will make a big difference..or will it??

anyway..all in all im not very impressed with the 1055. i guess i might need to start looking for a sub?? but with music is it really desireable to use a sub?

Comment

• will1066
              • Aug 2003

Art, I have the same speakers. I hate to presume, but the Nakamichi may have been exaggerating your bass. But that is my wild guess. Just earlier, another person demo'ed a 1055 with CDM 1NTs and found it too bright. Because the Rotel/B&W combination is widely known to be very synergistic, I can't help but think that in both cases, the 1055 has simply revealed what was previously flawed. But like I said to the other fellow, everyone has their own tastes and preferences. Also, the 7NTs are known to not have the deepest bass extension. The additional 25 watts will not alter this fundamental characteristic. Personally, I don't use my sub with stereo music for purist reasons. That shouldn't stop you from doing it, though. One last thing: Are you sure you didn't mix up the polarity on your speaker level connections on either the receiver or speaker end?

Is it still possible to return the 1055?

Comment

• art vandeleigh
                • Oct 2003

will1066: you could be right about the nakamichi over emphassizing the bass, but i have used that reciever for just about 4 years now and have become very "comfortable" with it. i really have not had too much experience with higher end audiophile equpiment so i think i need to relearn how to really appreciate good sounding music.

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
                  • Sep 2003

My Elite receivers amps exaggerated the bass, and after 4 years of being used to that and hooking up the 1075 amp, wow what a difference. I had to get used to the low bass not being there....

But if you sit back and listen, those bass notes youre used too, shouldnt have been so pronounced. Its their for rythem, not be front and center and take your ear off the vocals or other various instruments.

I am very pleased with what the 1075 did, it translates what the music is supposed to sound like, that simple. No exaggeration anywhere and plays very clean, loud music. The mids are very tight and slam away, while the receiver I believe put more effort into the bass, which took away from mids and highs overall. I'll take the Rotel thank you.

You either like what you are used to, or you go with what more or less is a realistic sound...decisions decisions! 8O

Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Theatre Photo Album (A work in Progress)
                  GameTracker -My List-
                  Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"