X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrJRapp
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2003

HARMONY 880 Universal Remote

Earlier this week I picked up a Logitec Harmony 880 universal remote to replace my now defunct Sony RM3000 which had been dropped one too many times. Simplicity in a remote is the key criterion here since my wife is a technophobe when it comes to audio and I have a 15 YO step son who already blew out more than one set of speakers by cranking the volume up full blast trying to get sound out of the system, then realizing he needed to switch inputs, and forgetting to turn the volume down before doing so.

The answer of course is an activities driven remote, or at least one that has solid macro ability to create activities and limit acess to specific devices. The Harmony fills that bill completely. It's sooooo easy to program, you just go online and follow instructions. Tech support is also excellent. I was having some difficulties consitently controlling my Rotel 1098 processor, and they were able to custom modify and upload IR delays to fix that without my touching a thing. They were also kind enough to create a customized activity for me to independently control my lights via the lutron Maestro IR that I have. Anyway, everything works like a charm. I like the feel of the remote in my hand, the way it's color screen turns on and off to movement and the logical way the buttons are laid out and lit to operate in the dark. For $249 it's an extreme value and very tempting for anyone who ever wanted a truely powerfull universal remote but was unwilling to commit $600-$1000 to a Pronto or whatever.
    Jerry Rappaport
  • jimmyp58
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

Thanks for the report Jerry. I have seen these and have wondered how well they work.
    jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• stantheman2
      • Apr 2004

I heartily concur that Harmony remotes are great. I have the 659 and my whole family loves it. It only has a black LCD screen, but it is still way cool. 15 minutes on-line to set it up and I have the true power of one-button operation. To me, the real beauty of Harmony remotes is the "state awareness". The remote remembers the state of each component programmed in it, every time the any component state is changed, so when you switch from watching TV to watching a movie and back again, it does all the mode switching, on/off switching, etc., automatically. If the rmote somehow "loses its way" it has a truly useful question-driven help feature built into the remote that corrects the problem within several clicks.

I have tried programming "universal" remotes packaged with Denon and Rotel receivers, and the programming is difficult and limited. I have also tried stand-alone universal remotes from SOny and Kameleon, and both were also difficult and too limited - none of those four had the capability to program all the necessary inputs and features.

Throw in the fact that my Harmony only cost $100 USD form Amazon, and it felt like I had found the remote "holy grail".

Comment

• DrJRapp
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2003

Originally posted by stantheman2
        I heartily concur that Harmony remotes are great. I have the 659 and my whole family loves it.

Throw in the fact that my Harmony only cost $100 USD form Amazon, and it felt like I had found the remote "holy grail".
        That's good to know, my wife likes the Harmony so well that she wants one everywhere, but I don't quite want to spend $249 for another 880.
        Jerry Rappaport

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"