X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • will1066
    • Aug 2003

Quality control

Maybe it's just me, but does it seem lately that there have been more people posting problems with their gear? Understandably, the more complex the gear becomes, the more chances for glitches and problems exist. Also, since this forum is an increasingly popular destination, it is a vortex for praise and complaints as well as troubleshoot requests for Rotel gear. So we hear just about everything related to Rotel right here. Again, maybe it's just me, but should we be worried about the company's QC and send them some kind of feedback?
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

I've wondered about that also Will. However, I've come to the conclussion that Rotel has pretty decent quality control and excellent followup on problems. You're right that this is the vortex of Rotel related issues. We do see our fair share of them here, but that's in keeping as this is where more people bring their problems hoping for a solution. Not mentioning the brand, but the previous receiver I had before buying my 1066 had a history of many more problems, and more significant problems at that, then Rotel. I can name quite a few companies that are frequently mentioned on other boards where they've had significant numbers of difficulties implimenting new technology into their components. I've never had a problem (knock on wood) with my 1066 and I think that probably applies to many users of Rotel equipment. Of course, there are repeated issues some have had with things like popping, bass management, and equipment compatibility, but at least Rotel seems to make an effort to address these issues. I think there are a lot of good companies that also do so. Unfortunately, there are also companies with a long list of problems that seemingly don't care as much as Rotel and what I consider to be the good companies.

Keith
    Keith

Comment

• taimur
      • Apr 2003

just for the record, one of the reasons I haven't posted much on this board, but do lurk quite a lot is that I've never had any problems with my 1055 receiver! QC from Rotel was fine for me.

Comment

• thedarklobster
        • Jul 2003

I too feel that we are hearing about more problems, but Rotel is dedicated to solving them with us. Not to long ago, I sent my unit back twice to correct a problem and they were understanding and very helpful in correcting it with me. I can't say I have that same success with other companies in the HT market or any market for that matter.

Comment

• jimmyp58
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

Yes, it seems there are a host of concerns brought up here but there is also many comments of praise too. Being a repository for Rotel gear, there simply is a lot of info discussed. In my opinion, too, we are a group of folks that are finnicky and have very high expectations of our gear. As I look at the threads of concerns, many revolve around fine-tuning the product(s) we have.

I, for one, have had no problems whatsoever with my Rotel gear other than getting past the initial tweaking due to initial setup. Other than that, I'm just cruising along and enjoying my investments. So I believe Rotel has done a very fine job with their quality control.

Being a member on other forums, there are a host of "real" legitimate complaints of very poor manufacturing practices out there. I believe we Rotel owners are very fortunate!
          jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• rlin
            • Aug 2003

Being an early adapter of RSP-1098 I retured the first two units of the RSP-1098 before finally settling on the third unit which works without a glitch. I have to say that the service from my Rotel dealer has been superb...(it better be superb since it is a $3000 machine...otherwise it would be a $3000 return merchandise x 3 times). I am sure this type of situation is not unique to Rotel...for many companies it is not uncommon the first batch of a particular product has glitches that needs to be ironed out. Examples include Denon and SONY whose DVD players went to many revisions during the course of a year. I am glad Rotel stands behind their product for 5 years which is much longer than your average AV companies. I also own a RB-1075 power amp which works perfectly so far.

The rule of thumb is NOT to rush out to buy a product when it first come out...wait for at least 1-2 months to see if most of the glitches have been fixed.

Robert
            Robert

Comment

• will1066
              • Aug 2003

I might draw some ire and fire for this, but I agree with you, rlin. I just don't see the advantages of rushing out to buy an expensive A/V product the first day it comes out other than the right to boast that you're the first on the block to have it. You raise the stakes of putting yourself into more trouble than it's worth, unless you like paying the manufacturer to be their beta tester. Funny you mention Denon DVD players. The 5900 is coming and I see all this yapping and hollering that it'll be the greatest thing since sliced bread. I see a lot of now-proven 2900s on audiogon from sellers claiming they need to unload it. BS. They've already preordered their 5900s. That's fine, you can work out the bugs for the rest of the world. OK, rant over.

Comment

• mml7
                • Jun 2002

I can't speak to the QC issue, even though I haven't had a single problem with my 1066 and 1075 in the year and a half that I've owned them. (can't say the same about my Sony RPTV :x)

I can say that I'm thoroughly impressed with Equity's tech support. I recently had the HD Bandwidth upgrade done on my 1066, and not only did they do it in under an hour, but they also replaced my 1.x series ROM with the 2.2 series (no sure why, but I'll take it). Of course, I am fortunate that I live about 30 minutes away from their North Reading location, but I can't think of another company who'd do the same.

Comment

• dwhite
                  • Oct 2003

Robert - will you share what sorts of problems you had with the first two units? I am on my second RSP-1098 and it has developed even more serious problems than my first one. My first unit is being diagnosed by Rotel at the moment. My hope is that they will repair it and send it back to me.

The only problem I had with unit #1 was that it distorted the video signals from component inputs. The component output of the unit (when viewing component input sources) had moving diagonal ridges in the picture. Quite disturbing and difficult to watch.

The second unit started out great. On day 3, it developed the same diagonal video distortion, but even more pronounced. It is quite impossible to watch. I have tried a number of programming changes suggested by Rotel -- none of which made any difference. The other problems that I'm having with #2 include occasional popping/static sounding noise when adjusting the volume (with the remote or manually) and it seems to intermittently drop out and back into Dolby Digital mode when watching a Dolby Digital DVD.

I have searched this forum and haven't found any other reports of this video problem. Has anyone heard of or experienced this?

Rotel has not been very forthcoming with ideas for resolving this problem. Initially, they seemed to think that this had to be user error. They were convinced that I had the unit set up wrong. Apparently, they have replicated the problem in their shop on my first unit. Up to this point, I have had a negative customer experience.

Ignoring the problems, I love the 1098. The sound is fantastic. I like the features. I find the TFT to be quite handy (for setting up a movie, checking TiVo while watching a movie, etc.). I just hope that these problems can be remedied before I lose patience.

Dave
                  Dave

Comment

• rlin
                    • Aug 2003

Dave, sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your RSP-1098. About 6 weeks ago I posted the video problem I was having with my RSP-1098 under the heading "serious video glitch" perhaps you can still look it up. I don't mind repeating it though...

1st Unit - While running 480 Progressive signal through the 1098 into my projector, I can see wavering vertical lines swimming across the screen. However on 1080i signal from my HD Cable box the signal looks clean. So I brought the first unit back to my dealer for an exchange without any hassle.

2nd Unit - Exactly the same problem - except now when the 1098 was first turn on there are flashing green horizontal lines on screen for the first 1-2 minutes then disappears. They come back from time to time. Seems like some bad soldering job to me. Also, the wavering, swimming vertical lines were still there. Brought it back for the 3rd unit - again the dealer exchanged it without any hassle.

3rd Unit - New firmware - version 1.1.1 Holding my breath - I hook up my DVD player throught the component input - finally, 480P picture looks fine without ANY artifacts. 1080i picture sill looks good as well. If the third unit have the same problem I would have given up Rotel all together. I also must complement the dealer I bought my 1098 from because they reallly care about the problem and offered phone calls and prompt product exchanges.

Since then I added the Rotel 1075 amp to replace my Carver amp which developed a hissing channel. So far it works perfectly.

Robert

Comment

• dwhite
                      • Oct 2003

Robert - thanks for the information; I appreciate you taking the time to repeat it for me.

The problem you had sounds similar to my video glitch. A 1080i signal from my cable box is fine as well. The problem is with the 480p signal from DVD.

How long have you had the third unit?

Thanks again,

Dave

Dave
                      Dave

Comment

• rlin
                        • Aug 2003

I had the third 1098 for a little over a months now...only remaining problem is occasionally when switching modes sometimes "pops" appears in all channels...kind of annoying but I think this is a problem experienced by all 1098 owners....hopefully Rotel will release a firmware update to address this.
                        Rob

Comment

• Gary Press
                          • Oct 2002

I honestly believe that manufacturers, not just Rotel - but let's include Anthem and B&K, for example, have for marketing reasons rushed new products to the consumer. I blieve someone mentioned that we have in essence become the Beta testers - that's absolutely right on the money!

Processors are incredibly complicated products with the opportunity of countless combinations of settings and uses. They must be tested, tested and still tested again before the public is asked to plunk down hard-earned cash to purchase these machines. They ain't amplifiers. Business pressures, unfortunately have replaced prudent introduction to the consumer.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"