X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Are Rotel Products HiFi? (Revisited)

About a month ago I posed the poll question "Are Rotel Products HiFi?". This initiated a firestorm of feedback that started to go very well but then quickly began to deteriorate as many were very passionate about their feelings towards Rotel, both positive and negative.

People backed their responses by citing price points, marketing techniques, build quality, reliablity issues, service and support and of course how well they reproduced sound.

But the question was a worthy one indeed! It turns out that most of these reasons do factor into what makes a component HiFi but to a much smaller degree. The question we probably should have asked ourselves is why does Rotel make the products they sell? What are Rotel's intentions? This is pehaps the most important criteria for what really constitutes as HiFi.

I recently stumbled across this link http://www.stereophile.com/asweseeit/40/index.html which I found very enlightening and I am sure you will too. In this article you will learn "Just What is High End?"

Rotel is a "...family owned organization dedicated to the design and manufacture of the finest in affordable, high performance home theater and high fidelity components..." Their mission is their Balanced Design Concept.

After reading the article above and applying it to Rotel's philosophy you come to learn, if you haven't already, that Rotel products are clearly HiFi.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
  • DrJRapp
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2003

James,

Great article. Here is another blurb that helps support your theory:

Last edited by DrJRapp; 23 May 2005, 09:14 Monday.
    Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• H.T.C
      • Nov 2003

The word hifi as most forum members know means hi-fidelity but not always high end.

I think it comes or derived from stereo being that its two channel and has a higher feqency response or very good mono.
      Robert

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by H.T.C
        The word hifi as most forum members know means hi-fidelity but not always high end.
        Possibly. But, I think that most members also know that the words can, and often are, used interchangeably. The article compares "high-end" with "mid-fi" throughout most of the prose. It stands to reason that high-end would also mean hi-fi in this case.

Comment

• RebelMan
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Nice little blurb, Jerry. Actually, I ran across this site once before, sometime ago, during my Rotel pursuits, but it's always nice to revisit forgotten places.

Comment

• DrJRapp
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2003

It's Rotel's philosophy in the never ending persute of audiophile sound that has kept me in the fold through the tribulations of multiple technical problems.
            Jerry Rappaport

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"