X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cracking Oboe
    • May 2004

Signs of addiction?

3 A.M. I awake with a craving, urge, desire, need, to hear my Rotel system. This is nothing new, it calls at all hours saying "come listen to me". When I leave for work it cries "call in sick". When I get ready to go to bed it calls out "just one more song". Does Rotel add something to their sound to make it more addictive? Is there a support group out there to help break the habit? I need to sleep, its been a few years now...

Cracking!
  • DrJRapp
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Cracking Oboe
    Does Rotel add something to their sound to make it more addictive?
    Cracking!
    They must, because I feel the same way. Or, perhaps, it's what Rotel doesn't add to the sound????!!!!
    Last edited by DrJRapp; 21 May 2005, 17:29 Saturday.
    Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Radec
      • Jan 2005

Sure, it seems innocent at first; a B&W Demo with friends after work...maybe a new Rotel Preamp at a party. But, before you know it, 120Wx2 just doesn't do it for you. "I used to do a little, but a little wouldn't do it, so a little got more and more," as Axl Rose once said. Now you find yourself moving onto the harder stuff. You start pricing out 1095's, you linger on the Rotel website, you search for the word "monoblock" on google.com. Now you're in deep. You spend hours agonizing over whether to bi-wire, or a full Bi-Amped system. You create a spreadsheet on the individual frequency response of 4 subs, comparing them to the rest of your speakers. Suddenly, what's left of your will power melts away and you max out all your credit cards on a wild cocktail of a SACD, massive power amps, and yes even the Line conditioner for that "true" Sound. Now, not only are you addicted, you're broke. You try to put yourself on a interconnect dose just to fend off the pain of withdrawl - you're strung out on HD-DVD, True 1080p, and Stereo vs. 7.1. Eventually, you're just a shell of your former self: alienated from friends and family, body twisted from sitting in your Theatre Room all day, blinded from searching for that "ultimate" speaker placement, mumbling something about a "Golden Room Ratio" over and over. It's just sad...

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :laughat: :laughat:
        Jason

Comment

• Slice
          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Radec
          Sure, it seems innocent at first; a B&W Demo with friends after work...maybe a new Rotel Preamp at a party. But, before you know it, 120Wx2 just doesn't do it for you. "I used to do a little, but a little wouldn't do it, so a little got more and more," as Axl Rose once said. Now you find yourself moving onto the harder stuff. You start pricing out 1095's, you linger on the Rotel website, you search for the word "monoblock" on google.com. Now you're in deep. You spend hours agonizing over whether to bi-wire, or a full Bi-Amped system. You create a spreadsheet on the individual frequency response of 4 subs, comparing them to the rest of your speakers. Suddenly, what's left of your will power melts away and you max out all your credit cards on a wild cocktail of a SACD, massive power amps, and yes even the Line conditioner for that "true" Sound. Now, not only are you addicted, you're broke. You try to put yourself on a interconnect dose just to fend off the pain of withdrawl - you're strung out on HD-DVD, True 1080p, and Stereo vs. 7.1. Eventually, you're just a shell of your former self: alienated from friends and family, body twisted from sitting in your Theatre Room all day, blinded from searching for that "ultimate" speaker placement, mumbling something about a "Golden Room Ratio" over and over. It's just sad...
          That sounds creepily familiar. Well PUT!!
          - Slice

Comment

• RickF
            • Apr 2005

It's just sad...
            But so much fun!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

And you wonder why I started Club Rotel

Comment

• mikeyc
                • Sep 2004

Hey Andrew: How come you replaced your handsome picture with a leaf?

I know you've been accused of being a sugar daddy hahahaha etc, but has anyone every told you that you look like Ed Norton?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Hey Andrew: How come you replaced your handsome picture with a leaf?
                  No reason really just a photo I took last fall that I really like and felt like a change. Its also a nice reflection on which country I live in

Comment

• autio
                    • Mar 2005

Andrew Ithought it might be because of a uncanny resemblence you have to this fellow canadian (dont be embarassed we all have secrets in our past that end up haunting us!!!!!) :B

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

I'd NEVER be caught dead wearing that outfit...I mean its a Maple leafs uniform Go Sen's Go :yesnod:

Comment

• Azeke
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2003

Radec,

Very aptly put :T , I will, with your permission of course, cut and paste this information in an e-mail and send it to my wife, perhaps then she will understand my acoustical/visual obession .

I can never seem to find the words,

Azeke

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"