X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rotelian
    • May 2005

System Speakers and Diminishing Returns

I recently purchased a Rotel RSX 1056 and a RDV 1050; as you can tell I don't have a very serious system, but I love what I have. My frt speakers are DCM Timeframe and the rear DCM Bookshelf. And I have a Bose center channel. No sub, but the Timeframes have 5 seperate drivers, 1 is an 8" and another 6".

I am building from the ground up; sorry no iPod hooked up to some B&W 800 series speakers for me. The Rotels improved my speakers 3x's over. I am very impressed but understand I could use better speakers.

Which brings me to my question: since I need new/better speakers, I was wondering which I should be looking at? I do not intend to ever have a room bigger than a 16' x 14' listening/viewing room. However, I want to feel the bass drum beat (in a song and the boom in a video), not just hear it.

Speaker size is an issue. I am thinking for the fronts B&W 705 size on stands with rears being a bit smaller speaker. I would prefer a 10" sub, because of the size, and then maybe a B&W 700 series center.

The problem is, I listened to the 705's and there was not enough bass for me? Maybe a good sub would help them?

I listen at medium volumes, but demand decent quality.

With this in mind; I am a working man and can't throw money around. So, what speakers would best match my preferences and requirements? I am looking for all 5.1, but want to start with fronts and a sub.

I am ready to go test some. Any advise on what brands/models I should start listening to?

Thanks everyone.
  • Patt
    • Feb 2005

Spend some time going through the many posts and pick out some brands and do a little research on the ones that look appealing, and of course audition in person what you can. There is enough information online to make anyones head spin.

.............GoodLuck......
    ......Pat

Comment

• thyname
      • Jan 2005

Check Axioms M60 for $900 a pair. You can have them shipped free to your home, keep them for 30 days, and return them back if you don't like them, you will only pay shipping back, it is like auditioning them at your home for $50, depending on where you live.

Comment

• gd
        • Jan 2003

Go to the stores, do a little auditioning... just to get yourself acquainted with the possibilities and costs.

Then start with a sub... and the very best value is found at the two online sub manufacturers, SVS and Hsu... dedicated to subwoofers, without distributor costs, these two deliver quality subs at right prices, and excellent customer service... 30-day trial period, and it's highly unlikely you'd send it back.

The sub will make an immediate difference even with your existing speakers, which can be upgraded at your leisure, as you do your research.
        greg (gd to you)
        Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
        production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Taito
          • Sep 2004

Check out JMLab. I was looking at a pair of 704's, but was put off by the lack of bass (you could hear it, but not feel it). I ended up getting a pair of JMLab Cobalt 826S. They did everything I wanted for the same money. I am driving them with RCD-1072, RC-1070, RB-1080. Take a listen. You may just love what you hear. To me, JMLab speakers just sounded 'right'.

-Ben

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

We could all recomend a long list of speakers that are all quality brands...but in the end you're going to have to do some leg work (which is fun in this case). What I'd strongly recomend is that you take your time and visit as many hi-fi dealers (not Best buy etc) with some CDs that you enjoy listening to and see if anything strikes a cord with you. It doesn't really matter at this point about how expensive they are but you need to get a feel for what's out there and what type of sound you want. From there we can likely help guide you with model that are similar etc.

Comment

• GregoriusM
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2000

If you can, audition the speakers with your Rotel 1056.

And I take offense to your saying that the 1056 is not the heart of a "serious system", so watch it buddy! :M

:B :B :B
              Gregor

Comment

• Woo Wooooo
                • May 2004

hey Andrew what up with the new hair cut and red hair!!!!! :rofl:

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Woo Wooooo
                  hey Andrew what up with the new hair cut and red hair!!!!! :rofl:
                  :rofl: :rofl: OK that was funny! :lol:

But seriously, basically what the other guys said is true. We can't tell you what you'll like, you really do have to go listen for yourself to many, many brands.

I can tell you that in MY experience Energy makes fairly similar sounding speakers to B&W. IMO the B&W's tend to have a slightly richer midrange and deeper soundstage but the Energy's have a better high end (still crisp and airy while less abrassive/spitty) more low end punch but a slightly shallower soundstage. (Like you're sitting closer to the front row than mid-hall). So there's at least one brand you can check out

Some brands I like:

B&W, Energy, Kef, Paradigm, PSB, Polk, Revel, Totem, Vienna Acoustics....etc

SVS or HSU is likely your best route for subs as the other mentioned :T
                  Jason

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"