Clear All
  • cadman
    • Sep 2003

rsp 1066 does 24/96 192k

does anybody know if the rsp1066 does 24/96 192k
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

To my knowledge, 24/96, although, in my hazy recollection, I recall some months ago someone posting that they were getting the higher figure, but don't think that was ever verified.

Keith
    Keith

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

No it won't decode that signal...though there's so little material available i don't see it as a major issue

Comment

• cadman
        • Sep 2003

I have DVD-Audio will the 1066 be able to decode it?
        and I am getting SACD can it do it
        I know the 1098 does it.

Comment

• Scarp
          • Mar 2003

Dvd-audio and SACD are not transported outside of the player in a digital form, but only analogue. So the sacd/dvd-audio player will be able to handle those formats, convert it to 5.1 (or stereo) analogue and the pre/pro will just get the signal from its multi-channel input (or a stereo analogue input).

I have one DTS 96/24 title (Queen: A night at the opera). The Rotel RSP1066 has no problem with it, since this format is backwards compatible. However it will use it as any normal DTS signal, so any off the higher sound quality things you will not notice. The 1098 officially has DTS 94/24 support, although when playing it, it doesn't show some cool logo that its actually receiving this (would be a great addition to the TFT use ... show the logo of the format being received in full color).

As for PCM 96/24 or 192 kHz, this can be achieved either by some dvd's with 96/24 PCM on it (192 kHz is not allowed in PCM) or by upsampling done by some cd/dvd players (Philips 963SA does this).
          96 kHz upsampled CD's work fine on the 1066, it is capable of handling those signals. 192 kHz signals are not fine. It might be able to handle it, but there will be tick sounds and other distortions. Those problems get worse when u try to force the unit into Dolby Prologic II or something similar. So just don't do that !

Summary from what I've found:
          - Dvd-audio/sacd: it can handle all since they are coming into the analogue inputs
          - 96 kHz / 24 bit PCM (stereo): no problems
          - 192 kHz / 24 bit PCM (stereo): problems, dont use it
          - DTS ES 96/24: no problems by design of the backwards compatibility of the format.

I'm wondering about 88.2 kHz though (twice that of a normal cd). But i don't have anything that upsamples to this.

Comment

• cadman
            • Sep 2003

WOW
            that is a very good explanation thanks a lot Scarp

so I probably want the RSP1098 probably better for music

Comment

• greggz
              • Jun 2002

I'm wondering about 88.2 kHz though (twice that of a normal cd). But i don't have anything that upsamples to this.
              My Panny RP82 has a redbook CD upsample mode called "remaster" that puts out at 88.2. The 1066 handles this signal fine. I have heard of other pre/pro's choking on it.

Gregg
              Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• Scarp
                • Mar 2003

thanks greggz!

Comment

• hybride
                  • Sep 2003

I have the Philips 963SA and play my cd's with upsampling through the digital input of the 1066. It is working excellent! The display of the rotel displays "192 khz PCM". The only thing i have to check is that i switch the 1066 to 2 channel mode.

Hans
                  Hans

Comment

• cadman
                    • Sep 2003

well that is good new thanks for the 192k

Comment

• Scarp
                      • Mar 2003

The owner of my "old" 1066 reported that he heard ticks in the sound when he uses 192 kHz (also a Philips 963sa). So its not designed to work, but it can work sometimes is the conclusion.

Comment

• hybride
                        • Sep 2003

Scarp; can it be that the 'ticks' are coming from the digital signal from the 963SA?

Sometimes my 1066 doesn't start decoding the 192khz digital.
                        Then i hear a heavy crackling sound with a very little bit of the music on the background. But as i said in my previous message when i switch (at the front panel of the 1066) to 2 channel button then its always ok.

a further nice thing is that the decoding sound from the 1066 sound at bit better (warmer) then through the analog outputs from the Philips itself.

Hans
                        Hans

Comment

• Scarp
                          • Mar 2003

hybride, I don't know where it comes from. I dont have that Philips player myself (although I work at Philips ). Officially 192 kHz is not supported since the 1066 only has 96 kHz dac's.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"