X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

No Rotel for me :(

Well as some of you are aware, I've been trying to sell my un-opened Yamaha RX-Z1 for a good couple of months now. The thinking was to use that money towards most likely a 1066/1075 set-up or possibly a 1055/1075.

I've come to the conclusion it doesn't seem to be happening. I've had a few nibbles, no bites and as of this weekend if there isn't any serious prospects, the Yamaha's getting connected. I just can't go on indeffinately with no music or movies and there are just too many "if's" involved.

So as sad as I am to not be getting the Rotel gear, I wanted to thank everyone for their contributions to this wonderful forum and for all your help.

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Wish you all the luck Aud19. Here's to hoping your Yamaha works out for you.

Keith
    Keith

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Where have you tried selling it? I've had very good luck selling on Audiogon

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Ebay, Canuck Audio and local Buy & Sell...

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
        Jason

Comment

• will1066
          • Aug 2003

Aud19, do give Audiogon a shot before you give up and in.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Definatly give Audiogon a try then. I've sold a few things there in under 24 hours in the last few months

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Alright...... waiting for my account confirmations as I type this...oh there it is!

J.R.

Jason

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Andrew maybe you can help me here, I've never sold anything online. So I'm and e-seller virgin. I've already had a "bite" from Audiogon (ok thanks for making me go there in my moment of weakness ops: lol) and he's interested in using an escrow service. Have you or anyone used one that you can recommend? If this comes through and I do manage to get the Rotel gear I think I'll owe you guys each a beer...lol

Any other tips would be great too...

J.R.

Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

I've never used escrow but its a trusted and reliable way of conducting online business from what I understand.

As far as tips the ones that spring to mind are

1) get his home phone number just in case you ever need to contact him.
                  2) insure the package very well so you're covered in case something happens. Do not ship via UPS since they won't allow us to insure a package for some reason so use FedEX (if you have an account) or regular Canada Post. You can choose expidited or purolator at the post office if he insists on faster shipments. Since you have the original packing box's I'm assuming that's what you're going to ship with. If its not already doubled boxed I'd suggest finding another box to put around it for two reasons. First it will add insulation from the clutz's at the post office and second it will cover the Yamaha logo's that might tempt someone to walk away with it. If you don't need to double box I'd suggest wrapping it in paper or a garbage bag and tapeing the entire box to again cover the contents.
                  3) get a tracking number

Really thats about it. As I said I'm not sure about what steps are involved in escrow but it shouldn't be all that difficult to use and it will protect both parties (well more so the buyer).

Good luck and I told you Audiogon was fast 8O

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Thanks Andrew!

One question though, if you can't help me I might have to call Fed-Ex... lol. If the buyer is paying for shipping am I able to add insurance to the shipment or do I have to rely on the buyer to make that decision?

J.R.

Jason

Comment

• Aeromos
                      • Jun 2003

I would imagine you'd have to agree about the insurance with the buyer. As long as he knows he's paying for the insurance (total cost) you'll have no problem insuring it since you're the sender. I would insist on it though for both your protection. I'm guessing that you're sending it as C.O.D. after you've received payment.

Aeromos
                      Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
                      My Collection
                      Aeromos
                      Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
                      My Collection

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Personally given that insurance is so cheap even if he refuses to pay for it I'd pony up the $10 or so it takes to properly insure it just to cover your butt in case something happens to it on route. I've only ever had to use the insurance once and that was shipping a very heavy pro amp to alaska...they dropped it and it required fixing but all was covered and it went fairly smoothly.

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

Well a lovely gentleman has agreed to purchase my receiver...yay! Thanks Andrew and Will for making me try Audiogon. Bad news is that FedEx is trying to make it as hard as possible to send it to the US especially C.O.D. Why didn't you people warn me!? My head's killing me! ...lol

J.R.

Jason

Comment

• Danbry39
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Sep 2002

Great news aud19. Didn't want to lose you here at Club Rotel. The main thing is that you have a buyer. I'm sure you can find a way to overcome the other obstacles that present themselves. I'd email the seller and explain the difficulty. Perhaps, he'd agree to transact the deal some other way that's mutually acceptable to both parties.

Still, I have to say that was a pretty quick sale.

Keith
                            Keith

Comment

• dave
                              • Aug 2003

Aud19, just a thought,,, have you tried UPS? I have had a great deal of success with them. Possibly they will insure. Any way its worth a try I,ve had great success using them in the past. I wish you success in this matter. Regards Dave
                              Dave...

Comment

• will1066
                                • Aug 2003

Aud19, glad you found success at Audiogon. I was able to sell my speakers there quickly earlier in the summer. I find UPS much easier to use than Fedex. I won't get into specifics but the Audiogon buyer insisted that I use Fedex, which made me go through hoops like a circus animal. I'm sticking to UPS, which, indeed, insures.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

The issue for UPS is that they won't allow us to insure a package heading down to the US from Canada for some bizaar reason :M At least they won't for me :cry:

Comment

• aud19
                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2003

Well my buyer wants to use FedEx, I'm not sure if UPS has a C.O.D. service nevermind the insure from Canada issue. So I've been doing the hoop jumping...lol. Hopefully it'll go out today :roll: Keep your fingers crossed guys! I hope to be a Rotel owning Club Rotel member soon boys!

J.R.

Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

You could see if he'd do purolator instead which would be much easier for you...just a thought.

Comment

• Lex
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Apr 2001

You do know if he refuses the package, you will be responsible for shipping both ways, right? I'd avoid COD if possible. It's not the standard mode of selling.

Do not accept a cashiers check without 15 days to clear.

Why not just use www.escrow.com?

Lex
                                        Doug
                                        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• aud19
                                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2003

Trying to get ahold of him to go escrow/purolator. Do you still have to deal with customs documents etc when doing escow/purolator?

J.R.

Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

Yes you'll have to fill in a small green form no matter how you ship it...its easy though just your address, his address and declare the contents and value of the package.

Comment

• Danbry39
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Sep 2002

This would all be so much easier if Tom Hanks still ran FedEx.

Hang in there aud. It will all be worth the wait and patience you've shown.

Keith
                                              Keith

Comment

• Zzap
                                                • Sep 2003

*LOL*

So many of my friends called that movie slow and non-happening (though they all liked the crash scene) - I loved every minute of it!
                                                /John

Comment

• Lex
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Apr 2001

JR, I can only tell you the US side of things.

1. There's always a customs form for any insured package, and value must be declared.
                                                  2. Shipping is complicated by long forms here at UPS. Likely FedX as well to some degree. But I can't verify that personally.
                                                  3. US postal service is much simpler with a small customs form. I always choose USPS for international shipments.

Lex
                                                  Doug
                                                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• aud19
                                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2003

Well it's out of my hands let's hope it all works out and by the way I hate FedEx. (Just thought I'd add that in...lol) Hopefully sometime in early October I'll be able to sign on as a "true" Club Rotel owner/member.

J.R.

Jason

Comment

• dave
                                                      • Aug 2003

Aud19, hang in there these things seem to have a way of working out.......

dave
                                                      Dave...

Comment

• aud19
                                                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Aug 2003

Thanks Dave,

God I love this forum! There is a general sense of pleasantness and friendliness here. Nevermind the technical help you receive, the emotional support is great too. And in this hobby you need it! ...lol

Thanks again everyone

J.R.

Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Aug 2000

Yeah we really do have a great group of members here:T

Comment

• bsacco
                                                            • Sep 2003

what's wrong with the Yamaha RX-z1?

Are you really going to notice the difference from the Rotel.

Have you done a cost comparison of how much improvement of sound vs. how much more dollars you'll have to spend?

I think the higher you go ...the improvement gets smaller in comparison...you just have to find your own sweet spot.

Comment

• aud19
                                                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Aug 2003

Oh believe me there is nothing wrong with the RX-Z1. I just prefer the Rotel. And yes HT is the land of diminishing returns. If say a big money Lexicon or Tag etc system is %99 perfect (No electronics are %100 in my opinion, that's reserved for live music) than in my opinion the Rotel gear is say %95-96. The Yamaha, no slouch either is say %93-94. Barely a difference there but ever so slightly noticeable. And that's just my opinion, not a fact. Those percentages are to my ears. Also, I had originally purchased a RX-V1 for just above cost and got the Z1 (as an exhange for the damaged V1) from Yamaha Canada and never opened it. As such I was able to sell the Z1 for more than I actually paid for the V1. And yes I am quite proud of myself for that, not to mention the free touchscreen LCD remote I got with it.

J.R.

Jason

Comment

• aud19
                                                                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Aug 2003

Just thought I'd let everyone know I received my cheque today and went to my bank at lunch and placed the funds in my account I even ended up getting $30 more than my asking price after it was transfered from US to Canadian funds! I'll keep ya updated on what gear I get and when I get it. Hopefully this weekend!

J.R.

Jason

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Sep 2002

Congratulations Aud!!! ;h I was a concerned when I noticed you'd posted. It looks like your big hurdle has been cleared handily. Make sure you contact the bank and find out when the check truly clears though, just to be safe. Again, things are looking great!!!

Keith
                                                                  Keith

Comment

• dave
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Aug 2003

That is great news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy Days Are Here Again!!!!!!! Let us know what you get!!! Dave.
                                                                    Dave...

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Aug 2000

Congrat's on getting the funds...now onto the realy fun part :twisted:

Comment

• aud19
                                                                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Aug 2003

Thanks guys! I owe a good portion of my soon to be A/V happiness to this forum and you kind folks. If you hadn't pushed me to persevere and try out Audiogon etc I probably would've never had the good fortune to own any Rotel gear.

Now that I've finished kissing ass, just one more question...lol

I'm planning on getting the 1066 and 1075. Anything to check for other than see if it's got version 2.26, the 200Mhz video bandwidth (serial number 2341001 or higher) and the 1050 remote?

I've heard of some people getting the upgrade cable included and from what I've read I can just use a mono 1/8" plug for the 12v trigger to the amp, correct? I'm terrified I'm going to forget something 8O ...lol

J.R.

Jason

Comment

Working...
                                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                        Search Result for "|||"