X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wsung23
    • Apr 2005

Is rotel durable to use?

I brought RDV-1050 in last year, I like it due to its audio and video performance, except, after 8 months, disc tray started not to slip back automatically when I placed a CD/DVD on the tray. Each time, I need to push it back with my finger.

I regard that problem as minor problem, after all, I can use it.

Now I want to buy a A/V preamplier, my first choice is RSP-1068. However, in this forum, I find many people experience their 1068 got zapped. I'm wondering, where I live is a pretty dry city (humidity usually remains 25 to 30%), if someone in HK need to use humifider, can my humifider generate enough dump out to satisfy need of 1068?

My question is: if 1068 cannot stand well with static electricity, each time, when 1068 get zapped, do they only need to re-setup, or electronic components in some of them will burn? In addition, what else should I to do for keeping that machine in good health?

Thank you for your help.
  • Elvis
    • Jan 2005

I've had a 1068 and 1056 for about a year without any functional problems.Also these units come with a very good warranty,which makes one feel a little better.

Comment

• Slice
      • Jan 2005

I've now gotten in the habit of touching my knuckle to the face of my power center before reaching for the 1068 - so far, so good. I've had mine since February - absolutely no complaints. Go for it.
      - Slice

Comment

• Taito
        • Sep 2004

Over the past 13 months, I've purchased 3 rotel components (RCD-1072, RC-1070 & RB-1080) I've experienced no faults with these units.

Also, my father bought a Rotel system (CD, Tape, Tuner, Integrated Amp) 12 years ago. Also no faults -still working beautifully!

I wouldn't worry too much. If you like the sound, and it fits your budget, buy it.

The RDV-1050 sounds a little dodgy. If I were you, I'd get it fixed under warrantee.

-Ben

Comment

• DrJRapp
          Super Senior Member
          • Apr 2003

Rotel's warantee is for 5 years, so whatever problems you may have you can rest assured that it will get repaired eventually.
          Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Woo Wooooo
            • May 2004

AND how much is user error

I can say I F'd up some things on my 1075 amp and blew a fuse due to the fact that I wasn't really paying attention to what I was doing. So with that say should I post a message that states NOW MY 1075 stopped working. I'm not trying to say this stuff breaks down either. Let's have some posts that says DUE TO MY MISTAKE MY ROTEL STOPPED WORKING...... :E oh yeah wsung23 this is not aimed at you at all

Comment

• pbarata
              • Feb 2003

No, it's not. Compared to my previous equipment from Onkyo, Technics and Pioneer which are lasting forever, Rotel is much less reliable. Not only my RSP-1066 died after 2 years of normal operation, but also I've always had some glitches with RMB-1075. Further, if you look this forum you will find some horrific stories about Rotel equipment malfunction, starting from the first day on.

If you add the fact that in Portugal warranty provided by the local representative is only one year (now extended for 2 years by imposition of the European Community), you will think twice next time you decide for Rotel.

At last, even that we know that Rotel provide us with the best components in the market, when you open your box and see “Made in China”, you just wonder why so many fine brands are trusting the manufacturing of their products in a country where the quality of man worship still very low?
              Movies: Samsung LCD LE37A557, Rotel RSP-1066 & RMB-1075, Sony PS3, VdH D-102 Hybrid III interc, QED XT-350 & Supra Rondo 4x2,5 speaker cable, QED Qunex P75 coax, Monitor Audio Silver 5i/8i/10i speakers, REL Quake sub, QED Qunex SR-SW subwoofer cable, IXOS XHT458 HDMI, Supra LoRad, Isotek Mini Sub GII;
              Music: Rega Planar 3, Goldring 1042, Vincent PHO-8, Krell KAV-280cd, Krell KAV-400xi, B&W 703, Siltech SQ-28 Classic G5 (XLR), Siltech LS-68 Classic Mk2, Nordost Vishnu, QED Qonduit MDH6.

Comment

• Marcel B
                • Nov 2004

I changed to Rotel because my Pioneer kept breaking down.
                I think every brand has some problems and if you're so unlucky to get a bad one you are likely to say that all Rotel or Pioneer or Sony products are bad.

The thing that really put me off Pioneer was the very poor service department.

Marcel B

Comment

• DrJRapp
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Apr 2003

Originally posted by pbarata
                  At last, even that we know that Rotel provide us with the best components in the market, when you open your box and see “Made in China”, you just wonder why so many fine brands are trusting the manufacturing of their products in a country where the quality of man worship still very low?
                  With all due respects we need to put the political statement aside and look at the facts. It's not the fact that Rotel is now made in China that's the problem, it's the fact that just about every switch, resistor, capacitor, transistor and related bits and pieces are made by the lowest bidder and Rotel doesn't have adequate QC proceedures or people in place to screen it's incoming parts.

As we all discuss this online we are using our computers' to communicate. I am willing to guarantee that nearly 100% of us are using a computer with it's major electronic parts built in China or another Pacific Rim Country. Most computer Assemblers (can't really call them manufacturer's) such as my Dell, have the right people and proceedures in place to prevent the QC nightmares that are being experienced by Rotel at the moment.

Speaking of nightmares, the person I would not want to be right now is the head of Rotel service. He must live this perverbial nightmare wondering "what's next?". At least there's good job security there!..lol
                  Last edited by DrJRapp; 25 April 2005, 06:52 Monday.
                  Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• pbarata
                    • Feb 2003

Dr JRapp,

Maybe the local where our computers are build and assembled is not so relevant for the overall quality, but I wonder why now so many companies are putting labels in front of their products with “Made in USA”, “Made in Japan”, “Made in Germany”, etc.

And if we extended the subject and speak a little about Corporate Social Responsibility, we will find brands like BMW that proudly announce that from the simplest plastic cover, to the more complex electronic part, all components in general are build in places where CSR policies are in place.

I don’t want to particularize in a specific country, but I do believe for the future, that all companies like Rotel, that do not have a CSR policy in place, will later or soon not be able succeed in the market.

If you have someone, somewhere, well paid, working the right hours, in a place with good conditions, I do believe that in the end you will get a much better product. Because Rotel really needs “adequate people in place to screen it's incoming parts”.
                    Movies: Samsung LCD LE37A557, Rotel RSP-1066 & RMB-1075, Sony PS3, VdH D-102 Hybrid III interc, QED XT-350 & Supra Rondo 4x2,5 speaker cable, QED Qunex P75 coax, Monitor Audio Silver 5i/8i/10i speakers, REL Quake sub, QED Qunex SR-SW subwoofer cable, IXOS XHT458 HDMI, Supra LoRad, Isotek Mini Sub GII;
                    Music: Rega Planar 3, Goldring 1042, Vincent PHO-8, Krell KAV-280cd, Krell KAV-400xi, B&W 703, Siltech SQ-28 Classic G5 (XLR), Siltech LS-68 Classic Mk2, Nordost Vishnu, QED Qonduit MDH6.

Comment

• Woo Wooooo
                      • May 2004

maybe you should fill out a job application at Rotel...... :twisted:

Comment

• soldonandy
                        • Mar 2005

"Is Rotel durable to use".....apparently from this forum the answer is "no".

Comment

• Robert
                          • Jan 2004

Old school Rotels still tickin'

I have two RB-980BX amps (7+ years old) and one RB-981 amp (5 years old) being driven by a RSX-1056 (2 months old). All units are quite reliable.

Comment

• Woo Wooooo
                            • May 2004

nicely put.......
                            If ya don't like the stuff quit ^#$# and go buy KLH. If it breaks buy another...
                            If it last forever then your a happy buyer..... nuff said! :Z

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

"Is Rotel durable to use".....apparently from this forum the answer is "no".
                              I wouldn't say that...maybe more accurate to say that those that do have a problem always say so...those that don't are happy listening to their systems not trolling the web

As for the china comment lets stick to the topic at hand shall we. One thing that's often over looked is that Rotel owns and opperates its own factory in China that it has complete control over unlike many that just contract it out to the lowest bidder etc. From my correspondance with them I have no worries about the working conditions or build quality concerns from that factory though you are right in that for some reason there does seems to be some question about the source of a few parts that are giving them glitches. For the most part though with the exception of the known 1080 fuse issue the rest of the Rotel line falls well in line with industry return rates.

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Apr 2003

Andrew

Something I have always been curious of, and I'm sure a lot of others on this forum have pondered also is the statistical base. Just how many of each type product does Rotel produce a year? I understand that Rotel is quite a small company by comparison to most. Thru your sources can you get us that information? Please.

Therefore, for example, if Rotel produces 100,000 RSX 1056s each year, then the few bad ones we hear about here are insignificant. If however, Rotel only produces say, 10,000 RSX 1056 units a year then we have something quite different happening. I have to admit I don't even know if those numbers are the right orders of magnitude.
                                Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• wsung23
                                  • Apr 2005

Thank you all.

Actually some faults are bearable, some are not. I don't hate my 1050 due to, comparing with my Musical Fidelity CD player, the problem is minor at least at present.

The problem I'm facing is that, I live in China, but I can't buy many China made products under foreign brands in China due to they are not available on China market; when those products can't be brought in China, no one can give warranty when I buy those in Hong Kong. Why I buy in Hong Kong, it's true Chinese manufacturer can't produce sophisticate apperatus well now.

As a backup, could someone suggest a A/V preamp, which performance is similar to 1068, with price being not-higher than US$2000 and availabe in Hong Kong?

Thank you again.

Comment

• lars
                                    • Feb 2005

Deleted by meself since my comment was behind the thread -

- Lars

Comment

• RickF
                                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                                      For the most part though with the exception of the known 1080 fuse issue the rest of the Rotel line falls well in line with industry return rates.
                                      This is an issue that has been resolved by Rotel, if my understanding is correct? I have a friend who has had his RB 1080 and RC 1070 for about 2 years without nary a hitch and tells me the problems we see here on the board are minimal compared to the units manufactured and are competative industry wide. I'm hoping so!

Comment

• PewterTA
                                        • Nov 2004

I've had my Rotel Units for 5 months now and not had a single problem. Only once had it where the 1098 wouldn't come on, but a simple power cycle from the back main switch fixed that.

I, for one, am one that either has no luck with equipment and have tones of problems with something, or hardly if ever have a single problem. I just never know what I'm going to get, but I know there's no inbetween for me. ha ha.

So far, I have to say the Rotel units are performing flawlessly (don't even have any ground loop issues). And I think all manufacturers tend to have the same problems with their products.

But not all manufacturers have such a big and nice forum that their users come to...so you are bound to hear the problems more so when there is a larger community coming together. I mean, afterall, what's the fun of coming in and saying hey, my equipment's working perfectly...just thought you all should know that. It's much easier to come in and say hey, this just happened to me, what's going on.

I find it a relief to have a forum like this where I can know that there could be a potential problem with a one of my units and know what all is needed to get it fixed. Versus having no idea what happened and relying on my dealer or someone else to fix the problem. I'm a very "hands on" and "if I can fix it myself, I'm going to" type of person. Heck, that's even why I like doing my own firmware upgrades!

Most of Rotel's equipment is pretty darn reliable from what I read, yes some of their units have their problems, but those that do, seem to get fixed and not have problems afterwards.
                                        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                        -Dan

Comment

• Radec
                                          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by RickF
                                          This is an issue that has been resolved by Rotel, if my understanding is correct?
                                          It has been resolved to the point where rotel has acknowledged there is a problem and is taking care of it. It is still an issue as there are still 1080's out there with the problem (mine included). From what I understand 1080's with the problem have to be serviced and a cap modification is done as well as putting 8 amp fuses, replacing the old 6 amp fuses. I know the new 1080's coming off the line already have the 8 amp fuses installed, but I do not think new caps are being installed.

Comment

• PewterTA
                                            • Nov 2004

I just opened up my Rotel 1080 the other day, it has the 8 Amp fuses on it. I can check to see if it has the new Cap Modification to it if someone tells me what I'm looking for. lol
                                            -Dan

Comment

• Radec
                                              • Jan 2005

PewterTA I'd have no freaking idea! :E
                                              Honestly, I get a bit worried swapping out fuses!

I'd bet you don't have the cap mod, but it doesn't matter unless you are blowing fuses like no tomorrow. Trust me, you'd know.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Aug 2000

I'm not sure how many units Rotel sells per annum and I'm not sure they'd want that inof made public but let me see what I can find out.

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                                                  I'm not sure how many units Rotel sells per annum and I'm not sure they'd want that inof made public but let me see what I can find out.
                                                  Thanks
                                                  Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Radec
                                                    PewterTA I'd have no freaking idea! :E
                                                    Honestly, I get a bit worried swapping out fuses!

I'd bet you don't have the cap mod, but it doesn't matter unless you are blowing fuses like no tomorrow. Trust me, you'd know.
                                                    I bought mine brand new from my dealer, it came that way from Rotel... :T

Well I'm only 5 months into it and it has not blown yet and I am using the 12volt trigger with it and my 1095.
                                                    -Dan

Comment

• pbarata
                                                      • Feb 2003

In spite of the premature failure of my RSP-1066, which I proudly showed and recommended to many friends, I still very compelled to continue with Rotel brand.

The decision for Rotel took quite a long time, but I’ve to confess that since the first audition it was like love at first audition, even when compared with Arcam, Myryad and TAG McLaren. On cheer value for money, Rotel was the wise choice.

Now I’m sad, because this major failure is preventing me to continue to enjoy music and movies, and whatever I use to replace Rotel while in service, it doesn’t fulfill my heart like Rotel. So I’m expecting now that my local representative can both properly and quick fix it.

I only regret and don’t understand why we are limit for a period of 2 years of warranty here in Portugal?!

Comment

• fordster
                                                        • Feb 2005

We only get 2 years warranty in the UK as well. However under comsumer protection law we are still able to take a product back to the shop we bought it from (but no direct to the manufacturer!) if it breaks a resonable time outside of warranty as any electrical product can be expected to last a reasonable amount of time. I can't remember the exact time but it's more than 2 years (about 5 years from purchaes if I had to guess). The shop therefore has a liability to resolve your problem (whether by repair themselves or returning to manufacturer I'm not sure). It's not a commonly known thing and seems to be a slightly grey area of what constitutes a resonable period for a product to last and shops will usually try to deny responsibility (after all most of them try to sell 5 year extended warranties that often make them more money than the original product!).

With regards to Rotel durability my RA01 and RCD02 have been working fine for about 18months but are not heavily used as they are on my dedicated hifi which is located ij the study due to lack of space in the living room. My RDV1060 had a problem playing DVDAs so went back for repair within 1 month but was fixed and returned within a week and is fine now so I'm happy.
                                                        Dave

Comment

• bassett
                                                          • Apr 2005

This 12 volt trigger system thing, Why is it that I can't get it to work on either of my systems.
                                                          Out of RC 1070 pre-amp into "In" socket of RB-1070 power amp. from "OUT" socket to RCD -02 cd player.
                                                          Result,, Switch "ON" toggle switch on Power Amp, CD player lights up, Power Amp dies. leave switch "off" power amp works, CD is dead.

Comment

• GregoriusM
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Oct 2000

Originally posted by PewterTA
                                                            And I think all manufacturers tend to have the same problems with their products.

But not all manufacturers have such a big and nice forum that their users come to...so you are bound to hear the problems more so when there is a larger community coming together. I mean, afterall, what's the fun of coming in and saying hey, my equipment's working perfectly...just thought you all should know that. It's much easier to come in and say hey, this just happened to me, what's going on.

I find it a relief to have a forum like this where I can know that there could be a potential problem with a one of my units and know what all is needed to get it fixed. Versus having no idea what happened and relying on my dealer or someone else to fix the problem. I'm a very "hands on" and "if I can fix it myself, I'm going to" type of person. Heck, that's even why I like doing my own firmware upgrades!
                                                            I agree.

And, you may notice, that a there are quite a number of posts on other forums that are answered by "Go to the Rotel Club on HTGuide - you'll get your best info there", so virtually EVERYONE who is internet savvy and has a problem shows up here. That sort of tips the scales when it looks like Rotel may have more problems than other manufacturers. This forum is the "catch-all" for most of the problems of online Rotel users.

Anyway, I still like the fact the upgradability factor that many other products don't have.

IMHO!

Greg
                                                            Gregor

Comment

• Stevebez
                                                              • Oct 2003

To me I think it is almost inevitable that sometimes things break ... bit like death and taxes. The question that’s important to me is if they do break is the trend getting worse or better and if they do break how is it resolved?

Even top end Krell amps have problems ... not to pick Krell out in particular but and as a percentage of quantities produced the ratio of faults is probably way higher than Rotel. On the other hand I bet their customer service is top notch though ... but for the prices you pay it had better be.

On balance in terms of product I rate Rotel 8/10, support 9/10 and overall 9/10. So I certainly cannot complain even though I have had some minor issues with my kit (1068/1075/1080). But I also have had not so minor issues with a £2400 brand new Velodyne sub - which I have to say was addressed by the CEO of Velodyne himself - which again makes for a pleasant experience.

The situation that you really have to avoid is when an inferior product is produced and furthermore is not supported. I hardly think Rotel falls into this category at all.

Often the dealer plays a bigger part in the picture than the Manufacturer. My supplier is top notch and this really enhances the Rotel brand for me ... Allot of the complaints about Rotel products on the forum can be attributed to the dealer involved - which is no excuse really but a step away from the component design and integrity of the workmanship and components.

I am a "happy camper" with Rotel... as much as we would want a perfect world - it just does not exist and probably never will.... but I guess its human nature to expect it when we pay good money.

Rgds Steve.

Comment

• soldonandy
                                                                • Mar 2005

Is Rotel durable to use? Sure it is, any sample of answers obtained here certainly can't be accurately representative as to the integrity of Rotel. The fact that my Rotel RMB 985 had a bad transformer, my Rotel 1066 & 1056 had hissing/popping issues and the clicking sound my RMB 1075 made had to be a fluke. I don't think that my meager investment of $4,000-$5,000 in Rotel rivals what most of you have spent so I am not sure whether I have the right to even bring up the problems I have had or voice any counter support of Rotel. Currently my RDV 1040 has trouble distinguishing between the film and video mode but it seems to be an excellent DVD player.

I agree with all of you, we should expect problems from all of our gear, especially the cream of the crop stuff like Rotel, after all, it is exotic and tempermental like a British sports car. None of the reliability issues mean anything to me, Rotel is wonderful that is why I keep buying it. (I hope this input is acceptable to all.)

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Aug 2000

Andy you have as much right as anyone else to voice your opinion on the matter...but please give some consideration on what and where you post. Your post above is likely only going to upset the majority of Rotel fans that frequent this area of the HTGuide given the tone you decided to use. As I said I don't have a problem with people posting about their rotel problems but a less condesending attitude might go further then the tatics you apparently seem to enjoy using on our board. Also since you've apparently sold your Rotel gear in favour of another brand purhapse its time to move on (Club Anthem for example) and enjoy the gear you currently own rather then picking fights with members here.

Comment

• Kens1
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Mar 2005

God forbid something should go wrong with his Anthem gear or "club anthem" will be in for a real treat.

Comment

• Clemo
                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                      • Jul 2004

I've had a Rotel RSP985 for 5 years and a 4 year old RMB985 mkII I purchased used last year. The processor locked up the first day I had it home. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and nothing. Took it back to the dealer for a replacement and when we plugged it in at the shop it worked perfectly and has work perfectly ever since. No glitches, no lock-ups, no hiccups... nadda.
                                                                      Anticipation is 9/10th's realization. :roll:

Comment

• soldonandy
                                                                        • Mar 2005

Andrew, I do enjoy posting on the Rotel board because number one, I still own Rotel and for the most part, feel positive with some aspects of my past and present Rotel purchases. I feel strongly about voicing an opinion on the Rotel forum when those have asked for advice concerning opinions on the performance of Rotel because I feel that I represent someone who has invested in several different Rotel pieces over several years. Think of it this way, as annoying as it is for you to see me offer my two cents whenever a fair game topic about the durability of Rotel comes up, it is equally annoying to see your comments (I believe to the tune of several thousand). I feel that you should be sensitive to the fact that I have spent hard earned money time and time again with Rotel and have gotten in many circumstances less that what I have expected in terms of reliability. I am not typically a troublemaker and have never started a thread complaining about Rotel as others have, in fact, I have been the first to offer good will feelings toward other products on other topics throughout the HT forum.

I think from your side of the table, my last few rounds of commments has not been constructive and regarless of what has driven me to that point, your only interest is keeping the peace. I further acknowledge that combatents tend to only see things from their own side so I would like to formally apologize for crossing the line according to what I think the standards set forth here are at the Rotel forum. I also pledge to participate constructively if I choose to from this point on.

With that said, with all due respect, my opinion is that a moderator's role is to be impartial at all costs, if the Rotel forum is only designed to exchange positive experiences, then fine, be consistent and nip any negative threads in the bud. If my comments "will upset the majority of Rotel fans", then you may want to limit the scope of the threads because "Is Rotel durable to use" is asking for trouble. Moreover, I am somewhat of a Rotel fan, I just bought a RDV 1040 and feel that it is a nice DVD player. The bottom line is that I just can't voice alot of support when it comes to the reliability aspect of their products nor can I fool myself into believing that Rotel is in the upper threshold of "hifi" gear, end of story. If you are looking to entertain all Rotel experiences good or bad for the purpose of exchanging information, providing advice, letting those vent frustration constructively and providing an overall venue for discussion, then your role is to rise above your own personal feelings and understand that not everyone has had as positive experience as you.

In sum, my 30 posts compared to your several thousand truly indicate that my priorities are somewhere else (like a career and raising a family). Andrew, you seem like a real swell guy who enjoys what you do, I apologize for aspects of my behavior which are against the spirit you are trying to maintain here, this is all a hobby for most of us and should be fun.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                          • 16507

Andy maybe I was a little to strong with my words before and you're likely right that this thread was only going to cause problems regardless of who posted in it given that it was posted in a Rotel fan club and Rotel has had its fair share of issues as of late. I do try to stay out of sensorship side of moderating here and just let things go but when members start posting messages that in someway attack others its my responsibility to step in before it gets out of hand like it does on some of the other larger boards. Thankfully that's rarely required here given the mature audience we have here. In the case here I didn't have a problem with what you said more so how it was said. Had you just stated that you had purchased "XXX" items and that they'd had issues etc nobody would have batted an eye. Anyway you're right this should be a fun hobby and I'm sure in person we'd all have a great time together.

Comment

• soldonandy
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Mar 2005
                                                                            • 32

Thanks Andrew, I sent you a PM. In closure, I am a fan to some extent of Rotel because I own a RDV 1040 and would consider Rotel in the future. I just haven't had alot of luck on the "durability" side of things. That is not to say that many have had success with Rotel. Who really knows if whether our opinions are a representative sample, I can only state from personal experience. I would not discourage anyone from giving Rotel a shot, the warranty is long so you have ample time to address any issues. The performance makes it overall a decent value.

Comment

Working...
                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                            Search Result for "|||"