X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cjrivera
    • Jun 2005

B&W 7.1 surround system with Rotels?

I tried to get some answers in the Rotel forum, but no luck so far (I'm looking at an auction ending soon and need answers soon)

Can anyone here help (since I know a lot of you guys run Rotel with your B&W's)?

"I'm looking to setup a 7.1 system with Rotel gear, but wanted to get opinions from the Rotel forum and see what you guys think...

I am going with B&W 802N's for the fronts, HTM-1 for the center, and SCM-1's for sides and rears, and an ASW 825 for sub

What processor/amp combo what work well for this 7.1 system.

I was thinking of using an RSP-1068 as a processor, but was wondering which amp would work well for this setup. Or would the RSP-1098 be a better choice for a processor?

Thanks."
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

Not sure exactly how much $$ you're looking to spend...

Also, is 2ch music important at all, or just HT?

If you want to stick with Rotel, you might think about a 1090 or 1080 for the 802s and a 1095 for the rest.

As far as the processors go, I don't have a feel for the 1068 vs the 1098.
    Danish

Comment

• cjrivera
      • Jun 2005

2 channel is important, but the primary use will be HT.

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
        • May 2004

Personally for the 802's I would go with higher-end equipment. Rotel is good stuff but I have heard many 802, 803, 804... owners who liked the higher stuff much better. Look at Krell, Classe, Bryston...Classe is the same company as Rotel but higher end, very good match with B&W. Also check out used amps, alot of the stuff is built like a tank and will save you some $.
        Steel

Comment

• stewfoo
          • Jul 2005

I just dumped all of my rotel gear for classe, running the 803s, htm3s... they are just way too revealing. If you want to run rotel, I would look at the 700 series b&W speakers.
          Stew
          Stew

Comment

• kurtholz
            • Feb 2005

i switched to Krell, using 803n and htmi center with 805s as rear surrounds, the krell showcase and the kav3250 for the fronts is just out of this world, i started with Rotel, i am one of the few who didnt find it to be in the same league at all, Krell is the way to go, of course a did get to listen to the classe hooked up to some 801's. have to admit a few upgraditis pangs did come over me, im battling the upgradits bug with all my might, hahaha'
            '
            happy holidays to all

Kurt

Comment

• Nov 2005

Originally posted by kurtholz
              i switched to Krell, using 803n and htmi center with 805s as rear surrounds, the krell showcase and the kav3250 for the fronts is just out of this world, i started with Rotel, i am one of the few who didnt find it to be in the same league at all, Krell is the way to go, of course a did get to listen to the classe hooked up to some 801's. have to admit a few upgraditis pangs did come over me, im battling the upgradits bug with all my might, hahaha'
              '
              happy holidays to all

Kurt
              HI Kurt,
              Music is very important to me. When I started assembling my HT bedroom system it was a given that I would not compromise music for HT. I selected B&W 805's, the HTM4S and two ASW 800 subs. The surrounds are B&W 600i's.

I decided to drive the 805's with a Krell KAV 2250 amp because of its musical virtues. The HT front end is a Denon 3805 AV receiver. For music I drive a CAL Audio Labs Sigma II tube DAC directly from the Denon 3910 Play Anything player via the coax output then route the Sigma analog outputs through a passive preamp to the Krell. Thus, the Krell inputs are switched between the Sigma and the Denon front preamp outputs. The subs are similarly swiched.

The KAV 2250 was a mistake. I did not appreciate the importance of the center channel which was being driven by the Denon center channel amp.

I just traded my KAV 2250 in for the three channel KAV 3250. I think this will turn out to be a wise move. I don't have the new amp yet. Maybe next week. I'm so excited that I want to drive to Krell (3000 miles) and pick it up directly. :P 8) :W :lol: Well, it's too late. The KAV 3250 is already on the BIG BROWN TRUCK.

I did not want to spend Krell type money on what for me is a secondary system. I really wanted to buy Rotel. But I just couldn't. The Krell was so much better with the 805's. With the floor standing 800 series the Krell is even more impressive. Can I say without fear of contradiction that Krell's bass is the best money can buy? The 805's can't really take advantage of Krell's monster bass capability.

I can appreciate why Rotel is so popular. It's a lot of bang for the buck. But Krell KAV series is really in a different league. So is the cost. It is truly a high end amplifier and is priced accordingly though cheap for Krell.

Sparky

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                • May 2004

I'm not fortunate enough to own the higher end stuff. But have always loved the way a 800s series setup running with Krell Standard components for a HT setup. The sound is so room filling and clean at the same time.

Comment

• kurtholz
                  • Feb 2005

separated at birth hahaha, i agree101%

lets all make 2006 the best, regards to all

Kurt

Comment

• cjrivera
                    • Jun 2005

I'm just getting into the world of higher end audio and loved the B&W 802N's I listened to. The research I did seemed to have Rotel, Classe, & Krell repeatedly come up as good matches for the B&W's. However, as I'm just getting started, I figured the Rotel would be the best "bang for the buck" as someone earlier mentioned. I figure, I can always upgrade to the higher end stuff down the road.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2003

cjrivera,

Rotel is good value... The Krells and Classe amps are significantly better but at a matching higher price... In answer to your question the RB-1090 is the only Rotel Amp IMO to seriously drive the B&W 802s to an ejoyable level... I have some Emails from B&W Uk (Rotel distributors) confirming this...)

Some say the RMB-1077 can also do this - but I haven't heard it to know... I wouldn't use the multi-channel amps like the RMB-1095 with the 802s - nice amps but not going to reveal anything like what the speaker is capable of...

And yes the RSP-1098 is the Rotel processor of choice for the 802s..

Geoff

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
                        • May 2004

I started out driving my CDMnt's with Outlaw monoblocks. It was fine for h/t but I wanted more for 2 channel. So I bought the Krell Kav250A and 250p preamp. WOW, what a difference it made. You may find yourself wanting to upgrade sooner than you think with the 802's. They are a lot more demanding of amp power. I say save a little longer and get the better stuff, you will wish you had if you get the Rotels. I bought my stuff used and got a great deal. I would look into that first. Check out www.audiogon.com
                        Steel

Comment

• Ryx
                          • Oct 2005

Cjrivera,
                          it may be worth your while to wait until Rotel releases there new 500w monoblocks to see how they would fare paired with the 802s. it all depends on how long you can wait, if you can wait that long it would defanetly be another good option for you to look at!

Comment

• chinets
                            • Jun 2005

For Rotel: Go with the 1098 and 1095 combo amazing sound and would give Krell a run for the money you save. B&W need power and IMHO Rotel 1098/1095 has it and sounds better than anything I've ever heard ,even better than all the top ends mentioned by others above and you can't beat their price so go for it!!!! And if you like HT this 5 channel monster combo will rock your world!!!! The only thing that bugs me with your set up is your SCM-1 as surrrounds. I would get floor standers like 803s or 804s to match your powerful front to get the full affect of the anasthetic that will blow you away in HT or 5 channel listening mode. GOOD lUCK!!!!!

Comment

• sikoniko
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Aug 2003

I have the same speaker setup. N802's, Nhtm1 & 4x SCM1. It is a great setup and one that I will be satisfied for year to come with. Now, on the other side of the system, I started with a rotel rsx-1055 and cinenova grande5. I upgraded the 1055 to a sherwood newcastle. That was a step up, even to the 1098 in my opinion.

Recently, I upgraded my power. I am using nuforce ref9's for the front 3 speakers and I am looking at getting a parasound 5125 for the back four.

The sherwood is good, but I find myself wanting better for my system. I am thinking in the coming months of moving to arcam, but other brands I am considering include parasound halo, or classe, which would be a major stretch for me and not likely anytime soon. I am also considering adding 2 more ref9's to biamp the N802's. they are hungry children... hollow leg I think.

In the end, you might choose the rotel, but I dont think it is enough to satisfy either you or your speakers.

just my opinion.
                              I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"