X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • griddall
    • Aug 2003

RSP-1066 vs Lexicon DC-1

I have been saving my pennies for an RSP 1066 for a few months now, but the longer I wait to buy, the more questions I come up with. I see allot of Lexicon DC-1's coming up for sale and I am wondering if anyone has any comments on these 2 processors. It seems I could get them for approx the same price used (~$1100 CDN). The Lexicon is older and may not have component video switching or DLPII, but it was an expensive unit in it's day ($4500US I believe). I have never heard one but I am curious if anyone has compared the two sonically? BTW, I would be using an RMB-1075 for amplification. Any and all comments welcome.

Regards,
    Gil

Gil Riddall
    Gil Riddall
  • jimmyp58
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

I have not heard the Lexicon unit but someone gave us a link the other day regarding the comparison of the 1066/1075 combo versus other high-end pre-pro/amp systems (I think it is under the thread 1066 vs. Pioneer Elite 45). Take a peak at that. I think that after you read it, you'll be satisfied this combo is the best value for your money. By the way, if your wallet can handle it, you may want to check out the recently released RSP-1098. It is nearly double the cost of the 1066 but it is an awesome unit.

Jim
    jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• jimmyp58
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

Here's the link:

http://www.rotel.com/introduction/pdfs/reviews/hometheater/RSP1066-RMB1075%20Supertest.pdf
      jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

The Lexicon is a great unit and worthy of the fame it got. That said its getting pretty old now and were it not for Logic 7 it wouldn't have much going for it at all. Musically they aren't very good, they lack 5.1 analog inputs for DVD-A and SACD, lack component switching, lack DTS NEO lack Pro Logic II and you are buying a 5 plus year old model vs a much newer model with Rotel. So if this is just a theater and you won't listen to music at all in it then the lex might not be a bad choice as Logic 7 apparently is perfect if you listen to the lexicon zealots Still I've often thought about buying the lexicon's over the years but they were too expensive when they were more current and now they just don't seem to offer the features I need.

Comment

• simonb68
          • Jan 2003

I've also not heard the Lexicon, but have read numerous posts asking a similar question to yourself - now that they're relatively cheap is it worth a punt given how well they were regarded in their day? The answers tend to be, yes it is a good processor, but is a dead end product, no possibility of upgrades, lacks recent formats, and is no great shakes in stereo. Current lower priced units will give it a very good run for its money, especially in 2ch, where I would expect the 1066/1075 to beat it. Again all IMHO.

Get a demo if you can.

Simon

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Perhaps you meant to say MC-1? The DC-1 is getting a little long in the toother. I'd say go for an MC-1, knowing you won't have DPLII, etc... or the possibility of upgrade, can't do analog bypass, but can do all the standard formats and do them well. But don't go older than that.

Lex
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I'm pretty sure he meant the DC1 since they're no way he'd find a MC1 for $1100 cdn.

Comment

• griddall
                • Aug 2003

Yeah, I meant DC-1, but you guys helped me realize what I already knew deep down... wait for a nice used 1066 to come along and snatch it up!

thanks for your help guys. I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!

Regards,
                Gil

Gil Riddall
                Gil Riddall

Comment

• will1066
                  • Aug 2003

Better keep an eye out and hurry. Every 1066 I've seen on Audiogon lasts only a few days before being sold. Even while they're likely negotiated down, from the prices offered, they have good resale value.

Comment

• Danbry39
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Sep 2002

Yeah, but I believe, or at least hope, that there will be an increase to hit the market once more 1098's become available, so that Griddall can get his hands on one. You might also try shops in your area that might have accepted one as a trade in.

Keith
                    Keith

Comment

• zeppelin
                      • May 2003

Sound wise in pure stereo I personally love the Rotels than compare to Lexicon,Fosgate or Citation. They maybe expensive due to the parts, workmanship, the country they made in and the name that they already establish in the Hifi Arena.
                      If you want a real hi end good sounding stereo and multichannel go for eg. EAD - Enlightened Audio Design TheaterMaster or maybe Acurus, if its the price concern than by all means Rotel is the best.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"