X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fishy
    • Jul 2004

Rotel Kit and UPS's

OK, I wonder about burst type surges in electricity that my equipment will put on the cabling in the house.

To combat this I am thinking of installing a UPS to deal with this sort of thing, with a plus side being that I would get a clean(er) supply of power coming in, with surge protection built in a standard.

OK I sort of understand that the type of output waveform will impact of the type of sound, but most all UPS's nowadays output a Sinewave waveform. Or am I wrong on this?

This is what I am looking at!, or do I need a bigger version.

It needs to be able to deal with an RSP-1098, RMB-1095 and an RDV-1050.

Thanks in advance.

Fish
  • Taito
    • Sep 2004

Hi Fish, I'm not too sure about UPS's, but if you plug your 'protected' audio equipment into an 'unprotected' display or other component, a surge entering your display can easily travel down your interconnects and damage your audio equipment.

Also, I very much doubt that 1000VA is anywhere near enough. The two transformers in your 1095 alone have a combined rating of 2400VA.

Your best bet is to try a similar post where Jon or Thomas will see it (DIY) - they know plenty about power supply/conditioning. Maybe what you want is balanced power?

Bottom line, I definitly wouldn't rush out and buy one. Hope this is helpful, and good luck.

Cheers, Ben
    Last edited by Taito; 27 March 2005, 21:09 Sunday. Reason: typos

Comment

• mjb
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Fish, I would definitely NOT add a UPS - and for a number of reasons. A UPS uses very high chopping frequencies, some artifacts and harmonics will be present on the output. Also, no way will a UPS be capable of providing the surge current, or instantaneous peaks you're looking for. Most UPS's are designed for computer applications. A filter and/or surge suppressor might be something to consider, but note these sort of devices rely on ground (ie, the surge is taken away to ground). Most Rotel kit is two pronged (no ground)
      - Mike

Main System:
      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
      Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• johnvb
        • Dec 2004

google "Brickwall" and Zero Surge" for surge protectors. Also Monster makes some for more $$$

Comment

• Fishy
          • Jul 2004

Thanks for your input guys.

Fish

Comment

• mikeyc
            • Sep 2004

Ups

I would recommend the UPC-200 from PS Audio. Its reasonably priced and offers surge protection plus line conditioning and most importantly does not limit current. This unit is made by a high end audio company and is specifically designed for high current units like your Rotel amps.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"