X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

:DFinally Joined!..now I need help...

Sorry to drag this up again but the same old 1055 vs 1066 question. The way I see it is that I get a tuner (not a big deal...almost never listen to radio) and I'll be able to bi-amp all my speakers with the 1055 and 1075 getting me 195WPC! I have no plans for 7.1, no room for extra speakers, so the re-direct is a neat but useless feature for me. Or I get the 1066 and 1075 and have the sonic benefits of the dedicated pre/pro. So my question is what would you do? More power/headroom with the 1055 or sonic improvements from 1066?

J.R.
    Jason
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Welcome to the forum Aud19.

I don't know if there is a correct answer to your question. You'll definitely get different opinions. Some say that the 1955 sounds indistinguishable from the 1066, while others state that they do hear a difference. I do know it's less expensive and comes with the power supply, but, for me personally, I'd go with the 1066/1075 combo unless there was a real need for the extra power. Again, I have never lived with the 1055, so am not in a position to truly judge its preamp capabilities. However, my choice would be based on the fact that my current amp has plenty of power to drive my speakers as loud as I want and personally wouldn't be interested in biamping. As a result, my decision comes down to whether the 1066 might offer that little bit extra in the preamping department and whether it would be worth the extra money for that, albeit tiny, improvement. I guess I'm saying it would be for me.

I should also say that for someone interested in a tuner or redirecting the amp, my answer would be different.

Again, others will be more than justified, perhaps more logically so, in going the other route.

One more thing Aud19: I was just reading the Pioneer, NAD, Rotel thread over at AVS. I'm even more glad to have you posting here cause I like your style. I can pretty much guarantee that, while we might have differing opinions over here, this thread will carry a different tenor. Again, good to have you on board.

Keith
    Keith

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

If you're not interested in the tuner or 6.1 then I'd go with the 1066 / 1075 combo....though there likely won't be much difference in the real world

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Thanks guys, glad to be here As Andrew might remember I've been a creepy lurker for quite a while...lol. I like my style too Keith (though my girlfriend has differing opinions at times )

I guess I should have mentioned in the original post that I've heard both. (Just posted a questions on this over at AVS in the thread you mentioned Keith) This is where I ran into questioning myself. I was originally set on the 1066/1075. It was what I was getting. Period. Then out of curiousity I decided I'd listen to the 1055 bi-amped with the 1075. Now the 1066 did sound a bit cleaner/tighter etc. But the headroom and power with the other setup was good too. So they both have their good points. Different but both good. I'm just not sure which one I like better...? I know I'll enjoy the sonic bennefits of the 1066 but it's hard to supress that inner cave-man urge for more power too. Hence my problem... Now I don't know what to do...

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
        Jason

Comment

• Aeromos
          • Jun 2003

If you want more power, why don't you just get the RMB-1095. If I'm correct, the 1066/1095 combo will give you more power than the 1055/1075 biamped.

Aeromos
          Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
          My Collection
          Aeromos
          My Collection

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Yes it does...it would be 200WPC vs 195 for the 1055/1075 sytem. Pretty negligible difference plus the 1095 is a fair bit more $. The 1055 and 1075 can actually be bought for a couple hundred less than the 1066 and 1075. Also pretty negligible. I'm just trying to get the biggest bang for the buck. I'm just looking for opinions from people on whether they would prefer sonics or power for about the same $. Or which one they think is the bigger bang so to speak. Looks like a couple votes for sonics vs. zero for power so far....lol

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
            Jason

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Energeezer just brought up a good question on AVS. I was planning on running one wire from the positve terminal on the 1055 and one from the positve on the 1075 to the single positive terminal on my speaker. Then the same with the negative terminals. One from the 1055 and one from the 1075 both going to the negative speaker terminal. Will this short the amps? I have Energy C-series speakers and they only have the single set of binding posts.

Urgently awaiting your responses.... 8O

J.R.

Jason

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Sorry double post.... ops:

Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Aud if the speakers you plan on bi amping with don't have two binding posts with the metal connecting plates you CAN NOT bi amp or yes you'll short the amps. I thought most Energy speakers did have two inputs though? Also passive biamping does not mean that you get 195 watts with the 1055 and 1075 since there's some loss due the cross over networks etc. It will still be a gain but not as much as the 1095's true 200 watts would be.

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Well there ya go 1066 it is then.

I remember reading something on Energy apparently doing a bunch of research on the bi-wire thang. Blind tests etc. They found neither casual listeners or "experts" could hear a difference. So no dual posts. Would have helped me in this situation here though to get more power for the money if I had decided to go that route...or if I was even able to for that matter...lol

Thanks for your help guys....even if I do feel a little silly now... ops:

J.R.

Jason

Comment

• Danbry39
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Sep 2002

I've heard the same thing about biwiring, but, as I've never tried it, I really don't know. I do know that when I was thinking about doing it with my Klipsch speakers, I started a thread at a different forum and the responses I received back led me believe that it wasn't worth the expense/effort. I have noticed that owners of certain brands, specifically Polk, report a higher incedence of improvement after biwiring than others. Don't know why that would be the case.

Biamping is another thing altogether, especially active biamping.

Now onto the more important subject at large: You're system is going to rock and I think you're going to love it. You certainly did your homework.

As for being embarassed. I just deleted my first post here. Whose was it you ask? Mine!!! The reason was that my 16 year old girl is starting to drive and I spent yesterday at car dealers buying a new car, so she can drive to college. Anyway, after all the hassle, price of the vehicle, extras, financing, etc. I was totally beat and came onto the boards with like a short circuit in my brain and started posting stuff that didn't make any sense. Sorry, for all who read them. Anyway, I got to delete my first post!!! Even if it was mine.

So, I stand with you as both a 1066 owner and one who is embarassed.

Keith
                      Keith

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

wow keith a new car for your daughter...my first car was a 16 year old mustang that cost us $250 at a farm auction :LOL: Out of curiostiy what did you get her?

Comment

• Danbry39
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Sep 2002

A Honda Accord EX.

Here's my dilemma. Should I give her my Camry, which has only 48,000 miles on it and keep the Accord for myself?

My dream is to have a sports car and when I saw the Honda S2000, my eyes bulged. Dang, that's a nice car. And, they're upping the horsepower to 300 with a 9000 rpm redline either with the upcoming models or the 2005's. My wife said that could be my next car IF I give my daughter the Accord.

Hey, I'll just get it if I want, when I want anyway. Right guys!!!

By the way, my wife also wants to send Dana to Europe for a trip next summer. Wish I'd been that lucky as a teenager.

Keith
                          Keith

Comment

• aud19
                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2003

It is going to rock! I can't wait to get it all together and enjoy all the work and help I've got from here and AVS. Thanks for standing with me :LOL:

Strangely my first car was an Accord as well. However mine was closer to Andrews price, $300 if I remember correctly. It had a lovely leaky, duct taped sunroof, a bumper that was only attached on one side and occasionally only ran on 3 cylinders...lol

If you do manage to get the S2000 come swing by Vancouver and take me for a spin. I've been drooling over those since they came out :P

Good luck with the daughter....you poor man (how much hair loss do you think she's responsible for?)

J.R.

Jason

Comment

• Danbry39
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Sep 2002

If you do manage to get the S2000 come swing by Vancouver and take me for a spin. I've been drooling over those since they came out

Good luck with the daughter....you poor man (how much hair loss do you think she's responsible for?)
                              Glad someone else knows the S2000. I just sat there and drooled.

Even though I complain about how spoiled they are, both my daughters are just so lovable and treat me like a king. I know they cost a lot of money, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Keith
                              Keith

Comment

• Aeromos
                                • Jun 2003

Hey Andrew,

That S200 is a beautiful car. A friend of mine was going to buy one but decided on the new Accord as well when they found out they were expecting their first baby. I didn't know that they've brought out new S2000 models. Did they just start building them again for 2003 or 2004?

Aeromos
                                My Collection
                                Aeromos
                                My Collection

Comment

• aud19
                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2003

droool.... :P God i'd love that car. I'll just have to stick with my Civic si for now...

So over on AVS Energeezer is doing his best to get me to go with the 1055. He even pointed out that that's what you owned, Andrew, prior to your 1098. 1098, drooool again :P

This would be a lot easier to decide on if there was a BIG difference in the quality of sound from the 1066 vs. 1055.

The only thing that's making me even consideer the 1055 still is the fact that I could easily slip it into a secondary system should I upgrade to a new pre/pro in a few years. No need for extra amps etc. I feel like I'm going in circles....maybe I need to go cold turkey on the forums / electronics for a few days...lol

Oh well, here's to having to make tough decisions because the equipent is so GOOD. :LOL: Go figure...lol. Cheers!

J.R.

Jason

Comment

• Danbry39
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Sep 2002

J. R.

I'd look at it this way. You're choosing between two great options. IMO, you can't go wrong with either. I do believe there are sonic differences between the two as pre amps, but don't think they're very significant. I did read that the higher up you move in the audio chain, the more the differences would appear, but don't know this as fact, only what I read.

As for the beautiful babe of a car, Honda told me that they are continuing the line. I even called my insurance company to find out how much more that would cost me and they told me about $750/year more. I want one real badly, but it will probably have to wait for a few years.

Keith
                                    Keith

Comment

• aud19
                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2003

They are two great options As I mentioned, It's nice to have trouble picking because the options are too good instead of the other way around. (Goverment elections anyone?...lol)

I guess I've decided on the 1066 unless Rotel introduces a "real' 3-channel amp to power the mains and centre and then use the 1055 to handle the surrounds. I've heard there are some issues with the RMB-1066 bridged... and I don't want to underpower my centre especially for soundtracks with only a 2-channel amp. Hey Rotel pssst ... a say 150-200WPC 3-channel amp would be real nice......

J.R.

Jason

Comment

• Danbry39
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Sep 2002

aud19,

Couldn't agree more. With people most interested in the front three channels as far as power, I bet Rotel could sell many three channel amps. 150-200 watts/channel sounds just about right to me too. Funny thing is that they once, unless I'm wrong, carried three channel amps in their line up.

Keith
                                        Keith

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"