The planets align and bring great joy! (RMB-1095)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greggz
    • Jun 2002

The planets align and bring great joy! (RMB-1095)

I don’t know if Mars's proximity to earth had anything to do with it, but out of the blue my wife gave me her blessing to buy my RMB-1095 today. Given that she is expecting, such authorizations are subject to very short windows of opportunity and must be acted upon immediately.

I called my dealer and asked if they had any 1095's, preferably black. Sure enough, they just received a black 1095. They had ordered silver for a customer and instead received black. They were getting ready to ship it back to Rotel when I called. Again, planetary alignment?

Needless to say, within the hour that 1095 was sitting in the front seat of my trusty pickup on the way to its new home.

Summoning great strength, I managed to -- by myself -- get this beast out of the shipping carton and onto the top shelf of my rack (6 feet 2 inches up in the air).

Aside from a low grounding hum that I half expected (I've got 2 cable boxes in my setup)... SONIC BLISS! Gone is the glare of my old Adcom. I can listen at higher levels with out the fatigue that my Adcom caused. The soundstage is broader and bass is tighter, cleaner, and more powerful. But for all this power, there also improved delicacy and detail.

My ears are quite happy tonight. My back, on the other hand, will probably not be so happy in the morning.

Gregg
    Gregg

Our Home Theater
  • dave
    • Aug 2003

Greggz: Nice piece of equipment , the 1095 in my opinion is the best purchase i,ve ever made. No regrets, have fun

dave
    Dave...

Comment

• LEVESQUE
      • Oct 2002

Congrats! My RMB-1095 is probably the only equipment I won't replace in a while!

The 1095 is known to work like a big antenna and catching everything. Moving it around or far from any outlets can sometimes remove the hum (it did for me). Try different outlets. You can also try a cheater plug, and IF this get rid of the hum, you will know it's a ground-loop problem.

Going XLR did help me remove my hum with my RMB-1095.
      To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• Danbry39
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2002

You're gonna love that POWER!! UMMMMMM....

Keith
        Keith

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Given that she is expecting, such authorizations are subject to very short windows of opportunity and must be acted upon immediately.
          :LOL: Yeah I know all about that

Congrat's on a fantastic purchase:T

Comment

• Azeke
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2003

Greggz,

Congratulations on your new purchase, it was wise of you to make this purchase prior to the window of opportunity closing.

How does it feel to have a Kilo of power at your disposal?

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• greggz
              • Jun 2002

I know 200w is overkill for my N805's but man-o-man this amp controls them so much better than my Adcom did. It was a strategic purchase to enable me to move up to bigger speakers in the future without having to get a new amp.

My REL sub also sounds better. It is true what they say about a REL. It really does blend seamlessly by taking on the characteristics of what ever speaker/amp combo you use with it. (Unfortunately at a single 10" driver I need a 2nd or 3rd REL to really get some more SPL's for HT)

Gregg
              Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

Summoning great strength, I managed to -- by myself -- get this beast out of the shipping carton and onto the top shelf of my rack (6 feet 2 inches up in the air).
                I understand what you are talking about. Here's mine, ceiling is at 8' and I had to put it on the shelf from behind in the 2' wide closet, because I definitely couldn't lift it up AND bolt the shelf in..

Comment

• skipm
                  • Jun 2003

Kevin-

Nice rack!!! Is that Middle Atlantic stuff? The reason I ask is I want to do something similiar. I have a coat closet next to my fireplace so I want to mount my plasma above the fireplace and build a rack in the adjacent coat closet. I was going to do it on the cheap using material from Home Depot but I really like the look of yours.

-Skip

Comment

• ht_addict
                    • Dec 2002

Congrats on the new piece of hardware. I added a 1095 to my setup about 2mths ago. Best upgrade I ever did and at$1550CDN with 9yr warranty, I just couldn't pass it up. Now I'm in the same boat you'll be in down the road. Time for new speakers. Looks like Studio 40,20,CC470 v3 will be making their way into my setup once I sell of my Mini Monitor/350/PS1000 5.1 setup.

ht_addict

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

Skip,

Yup, all Middle Atlantic except what comes with it's own ears. The shelves will bite you in the wallet, but as long as you just use the rack rail and not a full rack, it's not that bad. Meaning you can buy 45 space rails for about $125 and just bolt them to two studs 19" apart. The custom cut shelves range from $100 to $150, but you could buy a contractor pack of 2U shelves pretty cheap to start and then slowly swap stuff over to the flushmount.

That picture is only two months old and all ready out of date. The BFD is swapped for a 8024, there's an AMX cardframe in there now, and a different DVD (that's actually on a shelf). I've got to move everything down one notch to make room for a 1098 coming in November, and my satellite is moving to the inside of the closet on an addition section of 6 rack spaces that will eventually hold all my EQ's... Fun fun fun. If we can ever get done with the painting in the room I'll have to take some new pictures..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Nicholas Renter
                        • Jun 2002

I don't think that 200 watts are overkill for the N805. I'm driving 4 of them with my 1095 (along with a HTM-2) and think that these speakers really need some power to open up - the B&W spec sheet claim 88dB spl (2.83V 1m) but I tend to think that they are actually more on-par Stereophile's measuremetns of 85.5dB (2.83V 1m).

As for the REL Strata III, I think that this is perhaps one of the finest subs on the market. If you just wanted low-end sound effects, any sub would have been sufficient. But why would you mate a lesser sub with N805?

Be sure you leave that amp on 100% of the time for best sound - and break that amp in hard for about 2 weeks. You'll be glad you did.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"