X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mitzipurr
    • Feb 2005

Monitor and 1066

Hi to you all

Anybody out there that can solve this problem please.

Have just purchased a Citizen 4 inch M938 monitor so I can see the menu on the 1066 without having to connect it to the TV (sort of a poor mans 1098!!). It has only a 3.5 av in socket. When connected to the processor it displays a very unclear picture which seems to show the same image four times and appears to roll.

Many thanks
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Need more info.. How did you go from the 3.5mm to the normal composite output? First though is either the moniter is set to the wrong type of input (SECAM or PAL), or you used the wrong style 3.5mm cable. A lot of monitors have a mono audio inputin addition to video and need a stereo 3.5mm cable to plug both in. Sending video to the audio input through a mono 3.5mm could cause issues..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Mikko
      • Mar 2005

Now that sounds like a cool idea! Let us know if you get that working and I'll do the same thing with my RSP 1066. How about using a touch-sensitive screen - could be a bit tricky to map the buttons...

Cheers,
      Mikko

Comment

• mjb
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

If the picture is rolling, there is either too little signal, or your connections and/or settings are wrong. Technical detils and schematic can be found here: http://www.citizen-lcd.com/tc73.htm
        The 3.5mm A/V jack and connections is shown... good luck!
        - Mike

Main System:
        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Jason R
          • Jul 2004

Could be that output is set to display progressive which would cause it roll.

Comment

• mitzipurr
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D
            Need more info.. How did you go from the 3.5mm to the normal composite output? First though is either the moniter is set to the wrong type of input (SECAM or PAL), or you used the wrong style 3.5mm cable. A lot of monitors have a mono audio inputin addition to video and need a stereo 3.5mm cable to plug both in. Sending video to the audio input through a mono 3.5mm could cause issues..

Kevin D.

Hi Kevin Thanks for your input. In reply monitor has either
            pal or secam switch but seems to make no difference other than I think (because picture is so bad) moves it to one side slightly. The lead I am using to connect it from processor is a 3.5mm stereo (it has two grooves on the plug) twin black/yellow RCA lead. If connected by yellow terrible picture, black no picture.

Hope this helps you to solve this.

Dave (mitzipurr)

Comment

• mitzipurr
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Mikko
              Now that sounds like a cool idea! Let us know if you get that working and I'll do the same thing with my RSP 1066. How about using a touch-sensitive screen - could be a bit tricky to map the buttons...

Cheers,
              Mikko

Hi Mikko

I thought it a cool idea too. I got fed up with leads trailing across my rack into the TV. The tricky part was securing it safely to my rack. I came up with the following idea. The rack is fastened together with threaded steel rods. All I did was make a flat bar and drill each end, fasten one end into camera mount using screw and slide other end over rod and secure using nut and washer replace top plastic cap over rod and bingo problem solved. I will be pleased to send a picture into forum if anybody is interested.
              Never thought about a touch sensitive screen could be a good idea. I am sure I can get it to work and will keep you posted.

Cheers

Mitzipurr

Mitzipurr

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

If you only have a Pal or Secan switch, I'll assume you're not in the US.. Maybe someone with a 1066 can chime in on how to set the 1066 to output the menu in Pal.. Default is NTSC I believe.

Kevin D.

Comment

• mitzipurr
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by mjb
                  If the picture is rolling, there is either too little signal, or your connections and/or settings are wrong. Technical detils and schematic can be found here: http://www.citizen-lcd.com/tc73.htm
                  The 3.5mm A/V jack and connections is shown... good luck!

Many thanks for the info and link it is very usefull. There are no settings on the monitor so I think it may be the lead I am using.

Thanks
                  Mitzipurr

Comment

• mitzipurr
                    • Feb 2005

If you only have a Pal or Secan switch, I'll assume you're not in the US.. Maybe someone with a 1066 can chime in on how to set the 1066 to output the menu in Pal.. Default is NTSC I believe.

Kevin D.
                    Hi Kevin

Not in US, in Spain, land of sangria, sun and senoritas!
                    Processor was bought in UK though if thats any help. You could have hit the nail on the head. Never thought about this when I bought the monitor.

Mitzipurr

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

Ah Spain.. I miss the tapa bars.. Spent a month there a few years back in Madrid and Marbella.

From the owners manual:

NOTE: On a PAL standard monitor, the OSD
                      cannot be displayed until a video signal is
                      present, irrespective of the type of video
                      cables in use. For setup, connect the Composite
                      video output from your DVD player and
                      select its input on the RSP-1066. The OSD
                      will be displayed as an overlay to the video
                      signal from the DVD player.
                      So looks like you need a PAL input to set the OSD to PAL output.

Kevin D.

Comment

• mitzipurr
                        • Feb 2005

Ah Spain.. I miss the tapa bars.. Spent a month there a few years back in Madrid and Marbella.

From the owners manual:

So looks like you need a PAL input to set the OSD to PAL output.

Kevin D.

Know Marbella well lived 15kms from there for 5 years. Moved now to near Cadiz. This year anniversary of Nelson and battle of Trafalger etc.

Not clear what you mean does this mean I cannot use the monitor?

Comment

• Kevin D
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Oct 2002

You should be able to use the monitor, you just need to make sure you have a PAL video source playing through the 1066 and you need to be on that input. I think the OSD defaults to NTSC unless there's a PAL signal flowing through it.

Kevin D.

Comment

• mitzipurr
                            • Feb 2005

You should be able to use the monitor, you just need to make sure you have a PAL video source playing through the 1066 and you need to be on that input. I think the OSD defaults to NTSC unless there's a PAL signal flowing through it.

Kevin D.

Sorry Kevin I am still not clear what you mean. I can see the set up menu from the 1066 perfectly on my Sony FD1 TV and this is what I want to able to do using the Citizen monitor. Please explain.

Mitzipurr

Comment

• Kevin D
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Oct 2002

No problem.. I could try explaining it in my Spanish, but that would probably make things worse..

You need to be viewing a PAL video signal (from a DVD/SAT box, etc) on the monitor first. Then when you hit the menu button for the OSD, it should show up in PAL format over the video signal. Your Sony may be able to display an NTSC signal fine. So.. PAL composite output into VIDEO X on the 1066, monitor out from the 1066 to the 4" monitor. Switch to VIDEO X and make sure you have a picture, then try to view the menu.

That said, if the PAL video signal messes up on the monitor also, you may just have a faulty monitor. Over here those little things are so cheap now it sometimes take 2-3 to actually get on that works.

Kevin D.

Comment

• mitzipurr
                                • Feb 2005

No problem.. I could try explaining it in my Spanish, but that would probably make things worse..

You need to be viewing a PAL video signal (from a DVD/SAT box, etc) on the monitor first. Then when you hit the menu button for the OSD, it should show up in PAL format over the video signal. Your Sony may be able to display an NTSC signal fine. So.. PAL composite output into VIDEO X on the 1066, monitor out from the 1066 to the 4" monitor. Switch to VIDEO X and make sure you have a picture, then try to view the menu.

That said, if the PAL video signal messes up on the monitor also, you may just have a faulty monitor. Over here those little things are so cheap now it sometimes take 2-3 to actually get on that works.

Kevin D.

Thanks Kevin

I have a Rotel RDV1060 DVD player. Do you mean I have to have the monitor connected to it and playing a DVD before I can see the processors menu on the 4 inch monitor. Sorry for bothering you again but its driving me crackers trying to get this thing working.

Mitzipurr

Comment

• Kevin D
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2002

Yup.. Connec the 1060 to the 1066. Play a PAL disc and see what it looks like on the 4".. If all's good, hit the menu button and see what the OSD looks like.. You might have to switch the 1060 to interlaced output in order to get anything out the composite outputs..

KevinD.

Comment

• mitzipurr
                                    • Feb 2005

Yup.. Connec the 1060 to the 1066. Play a PAL disc and see what it looks like on the 4".. If all's good, hit the menu button and see what the OSD looks like.. You might have to switch the 1060 to interlaced output in order to get anything out the composite outputs..

KevinD.
                                    Kevin
                                    Have done what you said no joy. However monitor plays dvd picture fine. So Monitor works ok. Any more ideas please its really starting to drive me crackers!?

Mitzipurr

Comment

• mitzipurr
                                      • Feb 2005

KevinD.

Please ignore last email. Yipee I got it working just how you said :T

Many thanks Kevin and everyone else who offered assistance.

Mitzipurr

Comment

• mitzipurr
                                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Mikko

Cheers,
                                        Mikko

Yipee Got it working thanks to everyone in forum :T
                                        Attached Files

Comment

• Jive Dadson
                                          • Dec 2010

I want one! It's December 2010 already. Doesn't tempus just fugit right along?

I have a 1066, and I want to furnish it with a small, yea tiny, screen for the OSD. But I want to connect it directly, not through a DVD player. So does anyone know of a little monitor that will accept an NTSC composite or S-video signal? I found a bunch of 7-inchers. Too huge.

There's one on Amazon that looks promising, but I do not know what to make of those connectors. What is "AV RCA"? Is the yellow connector an RCA composite video input? If so (or if not), what is the black one?

Last edited by Jive Dadson; 11 December 2010, 00:32 Saturday.

Comment

• srb
                                            • Oct 2004

That's the ticket!

That looks just like what you want. Yep, the yellow RCA female connector is for the composite video output from your receiver and the black female power connector is for the included AC power supply or battery cable.

Steve

Comment

• Jive Dadson
                                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by srb
                                              That looks just like what you want. Yep, the yellow RCA female connector is for the composite video output from your receiver and the black female power connector is for the included AC power supply or battery cable.

Steve
                                              Thanks much. There's another option I found. For thirty bucks or so I can get a box that converts S-video to VGA, and just tote my computer monitor over when I want to program the 1066. The image quality might draw vacuum, but for the application, that doesn't matter.

One way or another, I'm set.

I have been googling up a storm about all these different connection types and signal formats. The topic was a vast hole in my knowledge base. I am sure to dream of boa constrictor cable-snakes tonight. Well, this morning.

Comment

• Jive Dadson
                                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by srb

Steve
                                                I sprang for the little monitor. Should receive it next week.

Comment

• srb
                                                  • Oct 2004

It's very cute, I like the little stand. I'm hoping the OSD will be readable and useable relative to the 3.5" screen. Good luck!

Steve

Comment

• Jive Dadson
                                                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by srb
                                                    It's very cute, I like the little stand. I'm hoping the OSD will be readable and useable relative to the 3.5" screen. Good luck!

Steve
                                                    Whoa. What happened to "That looks just like what you want"? The picture of the 4" monitor looks like it's readable.

Comment

• srb
                                                      • Oct 2004

Sorry, I meant that it had the correct composite video connection and was small and unobtrusive! Later I started thinking about what size the OSD would be displayed on the 3.5" screen with a composite connection.

After you responded to my comment, (and it had been awhile since I did any setup on my receiver), I checked out how large the OSD was relative to my component-connected TV, and it filled the height of the display ~ 75%.

It should be fine and my slight concern is probably unwarranted, as I had remembered the OSD being somewhat smaller. If you are able, please try and take a photo of it with the OSD displayed.

Steve

Comment

• Jive Dadson
                                                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by srb
                                                        Sorry, I meant that it had the correct composite video connection and was small and unobtrusive! Later I started thinking about what size the OSD would be displayed on the 3.5" screen with a composite connection.

After you responded to my comment, (and it had been awhile since I did any setup on my receiver), I checked out how large the OSD was relative to my component-connected TV, and it filled the height of the display ~ 75%.

It should be fine and my slight concern is probably unwarranted, as I had remembered the OSD being somewhat smaller. If you are able, please try and take a photo of it with the OSD displayed.

Steve
                                                        So, screaming nightmares are not in order. Whew. Now it's in the hands of UPS.

I will post a pic, one way or the other.

Comment

• Jive Dadson
                                                          • Dec 2010

Hey, it works!

The text is a little small for old eyes like mine to see from across the room, but up close it's quite readable. I took a snap shot. Had to use flash, so it's not a great pic, but you'll get the idea.
                                                          Attached Files

Comment

• srb
                                                            • Oct 2004

Very nice! Fills the screen even just a little more than my component connection. Too bad the Rotel OSD can't take advantage of it's color capabilities.

If the Rotel directly underneath it were a DVD player, you would have a mini home theater. As it is, makes you want to walk up to it, swipe your ATM debit card and get some quick cash!

Steve

Comment

Working...
                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                            Search Result for "|||"