Clear All
  • RAJAN2420
    • Feb 2005

Nautilus Or Rotel

My present configuration is the following :
    Rotel 1066 preamp
    Rotel 1075 multicanal amp
    B&W 804.

To me the sound of the combo seems without life. What will you suggest that I change
    the speakers or the preamp/amp

thanks
  • weijst
    • Jun 2004

Hmm strange...
    I have the pleasure of owning the 1068/1075 combination which has driven a pair of N804's for about 2 weeks and all I can say is that I certainly was impressed (am used to the 705's).

Your options as I see them:
    1) You could play around a bit with speaker placement. I had them app. 3 meters apart, toed in a bit and app. 0,5 of clearance from wallcorners.

2) You might also wanna try silver speakers cables.

3) If all this doesn't give you enough satisfaction, you might wanna consider upgrading your amplification section. Perhaps a RB-1080?

4) Upgrading your speakers now to the next nautilus in the range (meaning at least a 803) will leave you wanting to upgrade your amp within no-time, so this is by far the most expensive option

5) Downgrade to 704's (easier for the 1075 to drive) ...

6) Try other brands. Rotel / B&W might not be for you...

Good luck and let us know!
    Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• alkalay
      • Jun 2004

Hi RAJAN,

How long have you been listening to your setup?

Do have any kind of treatment (sound wise) at your listening room? If not, is it possible to do?

Have you tried different placements for those 804?

Itai.

Comment

• Dmantis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2004

Tuff to call.

It is possible your not feeling the B&W speakers. Or the Rotel gear driving it.What I suggest if your serious about your sound is the following.

1) Try better cables meaning interconnects and speakerwire.
        2) Placement and room treatment is key.
        3) Try different brands of spekaers and see if you can find the qualities your looking for.
        4) Same with the gear.Sources included

When things don't sound just right it's tuff to call why. You have to like the combo in order to try improving on it. Sometimes like me , I just need to start over and find my way again.

Good luck,

Dan

Comment

• RAJAN2420
          • Feb 2005

Thanks for your posts

I had a pair of JBL before which gave me pleasure but gave me headaches too after long listening! That's why I switched to Nautilus 804 for smoother and cleaner listening. The Nauts were connected to a Denon A1D. It was ok for movies but stereo-wise I was not satisfied. So I bought the Rotel 1066/1075 combo. The cables are Qed silver and the source is a Nad cd player C541i.
          Again to watch a movie it is okay but for stereo I just miss the magic ! I almost regret my JBLs !

Comment

• voxy
            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by RAJAN2420
            Thanks for your posts

I had a pair of JBL before which gave me pleasure but gave me headaches too after long listening! That's why I switched to Nautilus 804 for smoother and cleaner listening. The Nauts were connected to a Denon A1D. It was ok for movies but stereo-wise I was not satisfied. So I bought the Rotel 1066/1075 combo. The cables are Qed silver and the source is a Nad cd player C541i.
            Again to watch a movie it is okay but for stereo I just miss the magic ! I almost regret my JBLs !
            How about your interconnect and power source? Any upgrade in those area?
            Then again, I find NAD products are a bit bright so may not synergise with your Rotel.

Care to elaberate more on what is missing.

Base on your set up, I think the combo sounds a bit on the bright side and lacking in bass extension. Soundstage would also suffer abit if your mains and IC are not of better quality.

BTW, the 804 is already a good reference speakers. The 1075 though will not bring the best out of it should still give a decent music reproduction.

Comment

• DrBoom
              • Dec 2003

Rajan, I had exactly the same feeling with my system.
              I started out with a RSP1098 and RMB1075, powering my N804's.
              After a while I realised how lifeless everything sounded, very flat and uninvolving.
              No bass slam, no real sense of power or detail.
              So I bought a different poweramp, which made all the difference in the world.
              My current opinion is that (in my opinion) the RMB1075 is not really a good partner for the 804's.
              I feel it's more at home with the 600 series actually.
              I now own a Parasound HCA2205AT which is much much better, but more powerful and even more expensive. (allthough the difference in the US is marginal)
              The Parasound is definately more open-sounding than the Rotel, and has a lot more control over the speakers.
              The sound is much more lively and better defined, so I suggest you try a different power amplifier.
              Granted, there are a lot of people that DO like the sound of 804's on a 1075 (or even as big as 802's) but that's personal taste.
              Like voxy said, the 1075 will not get the most of your 804's, not even close.
              I think your greatest problem is the 1075, just like it was in my situation.

Comment

• csuzor
                • Nov 2004

Let me suggest something that may turn many responses against me:
                I now find music lifeless with just 2 speakers. I always listen to music in 5.0 configuration, either sacd or DTS NEO (which doesn't change the left and right channels, but adds the "common" component to the center and the "difference" component to the surrounds). But careful, don't spread the surrounds too far (or the music will sound completely wrong), I have them at 70degrees to the center (and 30degrees for the mains).
                Having said that, I have a relatively inexpensive system, but in 5.0 the music is full of life. And that's all about personal taste.
                In your case, the 1075 would suggest you try it out. Let me know if you do.
                Christophe

Comment

• rhoffman000
                  • Sep 2004

I'd buy new speakers if you think yours sound flat. You've already got 125 watts of clean power, what's another 75 going to get you? (another 2.5 dbs of sound....so what?) Maybe you don't like the sound of the B&Ws as much as you think. Go to a dealer and listen to some other speakers, maybe you'll find something you like.

Comment

• junior77blue
                    • Nov 2004

How new or old are the speakers? Have they 'ALWAYS' seemed flat? I know my older series P6 B&W became lifeless after years of use. Tweeter could be going bad, have yet to correct.

How about room accoustics?

I agree with rhoffman, yes they might sound better with a larger amp, but I don't think it will be a night/day difference.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Room acoustics play a huge role in the sound you eventually hear so maybe investing some time and energy into that would bring you some of the changes you're looking for and most would be cheap. A more powerful amp will help as well but I'd caution you to do an in home demo before spending a penny. Your sources and cables seem fine so I'd leave those alone for now and while the 1066 isn't the last word in refinment its not what's holding you back at this time. The B&W's are going to sound more laid back and warm compared to JBL's so after trying the above suggestion's if you're still not happy it might be time to try a different brand of speaker

Comment

• PewterTA
                        • Nov 2004

I'm one for an good power amp can make the world and/or breathe new life into your speakers. The amp you have is good, but not highly recommended to push the Nautilus line...

I'm not sure how much money you would be interested in spending, but I think a really good amp to match up with the Nautilus series (that isn't costing something like a Krell/Mark Levinson) is the Earthquake CineNova Grande amps. I heard the Grande 5 -biamped to the N802D and my jaw litterally dropped (actually had to re-attach it ha ha). I've always wanted the Mark Levinson/N802 combo because I loved the way they sounded ...and a lot of people do like that combo as well. But I have to say for the price...the CineNova did almost exactly the same. Plus pushing close to 330watts per channel (bi-amped to 660) to each speaker...was amazing. I've heard the N804s with just the 3 channel Earthquake amp and there is no way you could ever say the sound is lifeless and that the amp doesn't have total control of the speakers.

One nice thing is the retail price for the Earthquake CineNova Amps is about double what you will pay (yes they typically sell for roughly half the price).

If you can find a dealer by you, I would recommend checking them out to see what you think. If you like the Rotel sound, CineNova amps are very similar with an ever so slightly more bright sound...or maybe it's just that the highs aren't rolled off like Rotel does....!?
                        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                        -Dan

Comment

• drgolfnut
                          • Jan 2005

I have been listening to 5 channel music as well and find it more satisfying. I tried forcing myself to listen to 2 channel b/c it is SUPPOSED to be better. I still come around to the 5 channel in the end. I guess even if it is contrary to the majority as long as it sounds good to my ears that's what counts.

RSX-1067
                          Denon 2910
                          B&W 703s, 705s, HTM7
                          Pioneer plasma

Comment

• rhoffman000
                            • Sep 2004

Isn't the N802D like a $20,000 speaker? It better cause your jaw to drop! (and maybe stain your pants too)

Comment

• gostan
                              • May 2003

When I replaced my Rotel-1075 with an Aragon 8008 to power my front B&W 803's it was if I was listening to certain music for the first time. And it is my understanding that the 804's are more inefficient thatn the 803's and actually require more power than the 803's.

Without doubt, the 804's require a better amplifier to power them to their full potential. Power helps, but I would suggest that a 2 channel amplifier is the way to go as the 5 channel 1075 will not make the 804's sing. Ask your dealer if you can demo a Rotel 1080 or 1090 and listen to the difference. It is not a Rotel issue per se' and it is probably not a B&W speaker issue. Experiment a little and listen.
                              Stan

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"