X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • csuzor
    • Nov 2004

Connecting 2 center speakers on RSP / RSX

Can the RSX or RSP effectively handle 2 center channel speakers?

I have come to a preliminary conclusion that I need 2 center channel speakers, the 1st an HTM7 below the TV, and the 2nd a 704 / 703 standing next to the TV, for optimum sound quality. There will obviously be some compromise in the horizontal positioning, but I believe for cinema a slight offset will not be disturbing.

I see the Rotel RSX and RSP have 2 center pre-outs... is it really possible to select 1 or the other, based on preference (music: DTS NEO or sacd through external input; cinema: Dolby Digital or Dolby ProLogic2)?

On the RSX1067, can 1 of the unused rear surrounds (center back or zone 2) be assigned as the "other center", and then use one or the other center by preference?

Note that I now have my surrounds at 80deg from the center, not behind (usually 110-140deg is recommended), which is much better for music but maybe not so great for cinema... I may have to go 7.1 later and selectively use different surrounds as well for cinema or music.

Thanks
    Christophe
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

The center 1 and 2 outputs are the same thing and cannot be selected separately. Also, nothing can be routed to or from those outputs on the 1067 or 1056, you would need an additional amp.

That said, please let us know how you came to decide you needed two center speakers.. The whole reason for a center channel will most likely be destroyed by using two speakers...

Kevin D.

Comment

• Jason R
      • Jul 2004

Not at all i use my 704's and they are far better than 1 htm7,perhaps not as good as and htm1 but i don't have to lose money selling off the 704's just to get an htm1 to match the 804's, they fill the the 80" screen far better than the htm7 ever did, a very balanced centre sound not like it's coming directly from the centre of the screen all the time. That being said i always considered the htm7 to be a bit of a pig and never enjoyed it far to bright and small sounding.

I use the 2 outs from the 1098 and a 1080 amp, works great.

Comment

• DelRay
        • Jun 2004

I'm using both center preouts of my 1068 to run my single center. I'm using 2 of the channels of my 1075 bi-amped to my center which has dual binding posts. Don't really know if it's much of an improvement, but I had the extra channel.

Comment

• csuzor
          • Nov 2004

I see... looks like there is no real support for selecting one or the other center channel speaker, just the ability to have 2 speakers...

The reason to use 2 different speakers is to get cinema sound in-line with the TV screen for the HTM7, and to have 5 identical speakers for music. I currently have the HTM7 next to the TV, at the same height as the 704, and this sounds reasonable (though bass response is clearly lacking), but having it low and under the TV really muffles the sound.

Using 2 floor standing speakers either side of the screen is an [expensive] option... and not sure I have enough space, they would be too close to the L-R speakers...

Either I find a way to switch between center speakers, or I raise the screen above the 704 / 703... (projecting the image onto a screen in front of the speaker is not my preference).

Christophe

Comment

• Jason R
            • Jul 2004

Be carefulrunning non magnetically shielded speakers to close to your set, that is why the htm7 is a dedicated centre and can be placed so close to your set. Normal floor stnders are not shielded and might leave some nasty marks on your set.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"