My upgrade to the Sony HS51......Woo Hoo !!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ralph P.
    • Feb 2005

My upgrade to the Sony HS51......Woo Hoo !!

Greetings,

Last week I upgraded from the Sony HS10 LCD front projector to the HS51. I have to say that the differences are not subtle. The HS51 takes LCD to a new level entirely. The HS10 is a fine piece and offers excellent picture quality with both DVD and HD source material. The HS51 with it's excellent contrast/black level create images that are much more dynamic and three dimensional. Colors are vibrant and detail is amazing.

I have it connected with a Denon DVD3910 connected via HDMI set at 720p, and A Scientific Atlanta 3250HD high def. cable box. I am using Ram Electronics Rev 2 HDMI cables along with a Gefen 2x1 HDMI switcher. The unit runs dead quiet and is virtually undectecable even during the quietest movie scenes. It is ceiling mounted and paired with a Da-lite High Contrast Cinema Vision ( gray ) 1.1 gain screen.

The units most detectable shortcoming is with SD ( standard definition ) sourced material. I have a Pioneer DVR 810H-S recorder with Tivo plus service. I am running a 24' S Video cable to the HS51. Image quality with recordings set at the High quality ( one down from the best ) is fair but it was cleaner with my HS10.

Overall a tremendous value and one well worth considering if you are thinking about a front projector.

You can click on the " My Home Theater " link in my signature which will take you to my web page. There are pics of my setup there. I will taking some screen shots this weekend and loading them up. The ones there currently were taken of my HS10.

:sn
    Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
    Blu-ray Disc Reviews
    AVSForum.com
    My Home Theater
    My DVD Collection
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Congrats on the upgrade, Ralph. Here's to thousands of hours of happy viewing. :T
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Ralph P.
      • Feb 2005

Greetings,

Thanks much George !
      Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
      Blu-ray Disc Reviews
      AVSForum.com
      My Home Theater
      My DVD Collection

Comment

• Kens1
        • Mar 2005

Beautiful home theater you have there. Congrats on the new projector.

Comment

• Ralph P.
          • Feb 2005

Greetings,

Thanks Ken. It is an ever changing thing. I am lucky to have a supportive wife and it's great that it is something the whole fmaily can enjoy.
          Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
          Blu-ray Disc Reviews
          AVSForum.com
          My Home Theater
          My DVD Collection

Comment

• Claude D D
            • Jan 2003

Great projo for the money.Like you said,very quiet.What a breeze to set up with the lens shift. :T I've played around with one at work and was quite impressed.It's gotta be one of the best looking pictures to come from a LCD projo.Enjoy.

Comment

• Ralph P.
              • Feb 2005

Greetings,

Thanks Claude ! I am doing just that ( enjoying that is ) :T
              Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
              Blu-ray Disc Reviews
              AVSForum.com
              My Home Theater
              My DVD Collection

Comment

• pkh
                • May 2005

Hi Ralph,

I am considering the HS50 also. I am using 11HT with filter now and my only concern is the brightness of HS50. There are many reviews saying it is pretty dim to acheive the magic black level. How is it compare to your HS10? Thanks.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                  • Sep 2001

There are many reviews saying it is pretty dim to acheive the magic black level.
                  The HS50/51 is not as bright as its immediate predecessors. However, with controlled ambient light and the right screen, it still produces a sufficiently bright image to yield a sensational viewing experience.

The DaLite High Power retro-reflective screen was "made" for the Sony VPL-HS50/51 even though its availability predated the HS50/51's introduction by several years. If you are not familiar with the High Power screen material, it is high gain (2.8 ), but being retro-reflective (meaning the light projected onto the screen is bounced back at the same angle it arrives), it does not exhibit hot-spotting and blur from light scatter that other high gain screen materials suffer from.

The Sony VPL-HS50/51 is a remarkable performer and an excellent value. Unlike some popular competing models it does not suffer from vertical banding and of course being LCD rather than DLP, it has no rainbows. With the high gain of the High Power screen, you get a sufficiently bright picture, and since it is the HS50/51, you get incredible contrast as well.

Like any major purchase it is advisable to get a preview demo before buying or serious return privileges. But if you set it up properly in a light-controlled room, and feed it reasonably good images, you will probably wish you had gotten it sooner. It's a keeper!

Enjoy,

Burke
                  Last edited by Burke Strickland; 11 May 2005, 23:56 Wednesday. Reason: correct typos

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• pkh
                    • May 2005

Thanks Burke,

On paper my 11HT is rated at 1000 lumens and HS50 at 1200 lumens. I only use low lamp mode with filter so the actual number is much less. If the 1200 number is any real indication then I have no worry and buy it straight away.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"