X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

New 1056 firmware

Here's the new code for the for 1056, 1067 and 1068 models that should be up on the Rotel site this week.

1056 Code
  • basementjack
    • Dec 2004

Thanks Andrew, you kick a$$! :T :lol:

Comment

• Raphie
      • Nov 2004

Does this work for the 1068 as well? (would like DPII game mode )

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Yes just got conformation that its for the 1056, 1067 and 1068 models

Comment

• Joelp
          • Nov 2004

what are the changes?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Please see the new firmware update changes thread at the top of the forum for the latest changes and firmware files.

Comment

• eelco74
              • Dec 2002

Thanks andrew,

The only problem is I just picked up a nice used Pronto 950 (3000 in the US) and am trying to migrate my old pronto .cff file. I need to get the basics working.

So the update of my rsp-1068 will have to wait untill tomorrow:-(
              Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
              Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
              Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• Raphie
                • Nov 2004

how can i update/erase the 1068 eeprom? I don't see a tool on rotel.com?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

When we did it for the 1098 there was a special update program to download to the 1098. I'm going to slook into that in greater detail tomorrow as I'm curious myself.

Comment

• Raphie
                    • Nov 2004

Thanks Andrew, i will wait with updating then until this is clear (would prefer stereo on back surrounds)

Comment

• Raphie
                      • Nov 2004

Stupid me, i didn't wait, loaded the new FW via Hyperterminal, 1068 totally dead. reloaded the 1.17 version from Rotel.com, unit worked again. so it seems that a bootloader update is required in order to get this new FW into the 1068

Download Setup

Cautious! Do not enter any key not requested
                      >> Manufacture Code = 0x7f
                      >> Device code = 0xaf
                      >> Will you download new program?(select number)
                      1. Yes 2. No 3. Direct program(No Erase operation)
                      >> locking...
                      >> Erasing memory... Wait a minute
                      >> Erasing completed except for boot area.
                      >> Select download binary file
                      .................................................. .....................
                      .................................................. ..............................
                      .................................................. ..............................
                      Received data checksum = 0x9349

Rom checksum = 0x9349

>> download ok
                      Confirm if checksum is right. If anything wrong,retry from the beginning.

Comment

• lars
                        • Feb 2005

Interesting - are there 'release notes' along with the code, or are there notes on dependancies anywhere?

Thanks,
                        Lars
                        Rotel 1067

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

lars read the firmware update thread at the top of the forum...all the details are there.

Comment

• lars
                            • Feb 2005

Thanks Andrew; did so - also found the following on the website which I found useful given my extreme! noobe status with Rotel -

which leads to the step by step instructions at

All of which you no doubt no better than I do, but I threw it up here in case any other lost noobies come across it 8O

Comment

• Kyle
                              • Jan 2005

FYI, I upgraded to 1.1.21 last night WITHOUT the eeprom update on my 1068. I'm going to try the eeprom update when i get home.
                              My gear

Comment

• rick c
                                • Aug 2004

Can anyone explain if these firmware upgrades effect the sound or performance of the rsx1056 in anyway.The reason i ask this is because i have been hearing about the hissing and popping some people have with their 1056.I dont have this problem with mine(so far,knock on wood).So i'm a little hesitant to do any firmware downloads.Besides i dont have a laptop nor am i computer literate.Obviously if it makes the 1056 that much better in anyway i may give it a shot.Would like some help.

Comment

• Azeke
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2003

I own the 1098, and it seems that the new firmware can only be loaded via the MTTY software program, Hyperterminal versions are not a viable option with the new firmware. I also learned this the hard way and posted it on the 1098 firmware update thread.

The MTTY software program seems faster than Hyperterminal, as well as more intuitive.

Rick C, you should read the firmware change sticky to determine if the upgrade is worth it for you. I believe since you don't have the pop/hiss issue you should't have to worry, from what was been told, that this only affects a certain batch of receivers . If you are unsure, wait and see what are others responses are after evaluation.

Best Regards,

Azeke
                                  Last edited by Azeke; 23 February 2005, 22:54 Wednesday.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

The firmware helps some causes of the pop issue but for the most part that has to do with the DSP chip getting hot not firmware...meaning if you don't have pops now adding new code shouldn't give you any problems.

I typically recomend upgrading the code but as the old saying goes it if isn't broken don't fix it

Comment

• eelco74
                                      • Dec 2002

I have read rotels instructions on upgrading, but there is some crucial information missing.

After step 13, you put the switches back to "off" and power on the unit. But before step 13 there is no indication where to power off the unit.

Do you power off first afther the upgrade and then change the switches ?
                                      Or do you change the switches and then power off ?
                                      Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
                                      Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
                                      Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• weijst
                                        • Jun 2004

Eelco74,

If you're refering to the Eprom update:
                                        "1. Power off the RSP 1068 and all other components in the system."
                                        "2. Connect the RS 232 cable between the RSP 1068 and the computer. (Note the
                                        software upgrade dip switches on the back panel do NOT need to be set to the ON
                                        position.)
                                        "
                                        "3. Power on the RSP 1068."
                                        "14. After the update procedure has finished for the ROMUpdate4.bin data file, press
                                        the Exit button to close the FlashUp program. At this point the EPROM is updated..."

If you're refering to the software update:
                                        "2. Power off the unit and remove all connections."
                                        "5. Set the two software upgrade dip switches to the ON position."
                                        "11. Power on the unit. The main MTTY display should..."
                                        "17. Return the two software upgrade dip switches to the off position and replace the switch cover."
                                        "18. Power on the unit and..."

I assume you'll need to turn off the unit between steps 16 and 17 since you'll be working at the back panel of the unit with a srewdriver in step 17...

Good luck and I can assure you, the update also works when it's performed by a Dutch person... .
                                        Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• Noddy
                                          • Dec 2004

what are the changes/improvements for the 1056 with this upgrade?

Comment

• weijst
                                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Noddy
                                            what are the changes/improvements for the 1056 with this upgrade?

2nd post...
                                            Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• guibara
                                              • Jan 2005

Great!!! but I'm Mac based!

So... complete newbie here. Got my Rotel 1056 a month ago. My Quad 22L speakers arrived two weeks ago... I couldn't be any happier!!!

Anyway, I'm completely Mac based... Which options do I have to get my firmware updated? I'd hate to have to unplug the whole system and take it to the dealer, pay him a fee to update it and then bring it home and hook it all back up.

I guess an option would be to have Virtual PC running on my Mac... but then again, it's pretty slow and I'd hate to mess anything up.

Any ideas? Anybody in the same situation?

Thanks!!!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Aug 2000

You might try to get a friend with a laptop PC to drop over and help you (make sure it has a serial port or they have a USB to Serial adapter)

Comment

• basementjack
                                                  • Dec 2004

Andrew, others,

The firmware notes state:

Dolby Pro Logic II Emulation changed to Dolby Pro Logic.

What does this mean?

My analog stuff like tivo sounds great on my 5 speakers setup with PLII right now - is this going to change it to Standard Pro Logic?

- Jack

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • Oct 2002

No, part of the DPLII spec states that they can (have to?) include the old Pro Logic as an option. Rotel used to call this old mode 'Pro Logic II Emulation'. Either Rotel wanted to make it clearer or Dolby asked them to change it; but this mode is now called 'Pro Logic'. The update in question is just a name change, everything will still work in the same way.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Asterduc
                                                      • Dec 2004

This is the second time I sit down and prepare for the update, and again I get "Removed temporarily. Please check back shortly." on both http://rotel.com/support/techups/techup-H22.htm and http://europe.rotel.com/support/techups/techup-H22.htm

Any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                      Search Result for "|||"