X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RobinK
    • Jan 2005

Rotel RDV-1080 DVD-Player info needed

Hi all

Could someone please tell me if my dvd player can output PAL progressive.

Thanks
  • vonlarsson
    • Jan 2005

I´m sorry to say but this awsome dvd-player don´t have progressive scan in PAL mode. Hopefully Rotel will come out with a deasent replacement to the rdv-1080. The rdv 1060 are not eaven close to replace the 1080. When my 1080 goes out of date I´ll use it as a high end cd-player. I love the sound!

Comment

• RobinK
      • Jan 2005

I read my manual and it says to switch the unit to NTSC mode (with a flick switch at the back) and then only can make use of progressive scan. I quote: 'This setting is only for the hardware configuration of your tv, etc and it will play discs encoded in either format, converting the signal to the format selected with the NTSC/PAL switch. A disc encoded with PAL standard interlaced video will always be played with standard interlaced video, regardless of the progressive scan feature.'

It goes on to say that the Progressive light will only go on in the front of the unit if the switch is in this position, the progressive feature has been activated with the remote, and the dvd video programming has film source progressive content. This light did go on when I played The Last Samurai R2 dvd. Now I'm confused. What does that mean? i.e. Did it convert to NTSC progressive output?

EDIT to say: I too love the sound quality of this player. I'm using it with a RSX-1055 and the on-board DAC makes the sound MUCH better than the RSX-1055 when playing 2-channel CD's!!

Comment

• vonlarsson
        • Jan 2005

The switch on the back is just setting the hardware. You can trick the player to get around the problem by setting it to ntsc and turn on the progresssive scan. Then put in the r2 disc (pal). Then you schoul´d have a progressive signal from the dvd-player. You can test this by switching your monitor in to interlaced mode (standard) pal and do the procedure above... You schould now have a "bad" picture an your monitor. Now switch the monitor in to progressive mode or auto and the picture schoul´d be crisp as a cracker!!!

Just remember that the dvd-player must now convert the signal from prog. pal to ntsc and then to prog. ntsc. It coul´d be a downside for the picture quality. But if you have a 32" or 36" CRT monitor you schould be fine. If you have a HD Plasma or projector then the picture could be a little "over-processed" and pal interlaced would be a better choice.

Test and see witch one you like the best...

Comment

• RobinK
          • Jan 2005

Thanks very much for clearing that up for me! I'm in the process of purchasing a projector, probably the Optoma H57, and I just needed to clear this up before I go out and spend $$$.

Oh, and the picture did get bad when I selected progressive, I just don't have any hardware that supports component so I can't test it yet.

Comment

• RobinK
            • Jan 2005

Sorry one last question. Does the dvd player send out a PAL interlaced picture through the component out or can I only use the s-video or composite outs?

Comment

• vonlarsson
              • Jan 2005

COMPONENT, COMPONENT,COMPONENT!!! The 1080 deserves nothing less. And yes it will send out PAL interlaced when using component. If you haven´t tried the 1080 with the component output you will be amazed by the crystal clear and deep picture the 1080 can produce! If you like the picture with s-video you will fall of the chair when playing your first dvd by using the component out!!!

Good luck with everything, and never sell your 1080... When it gets out of date go buy a new dvd-player just for film and play your cd´s on the 1080! That´s what I´m going to do...

Have fun with your stuff and don´t forget the important high quality cables, they do make a HUGE differens!

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"