is this guy Correct? 1055/1065 use old DACs?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ejfiii
    • May 2003

is this guy Correct? 1055/1065 use old DACs?

Third post from the bottom. Hope its not illegal to link to other forums for questions like this.

Other forum thread

Thanks,

E. J.

My HT
    My HT
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

EJ I posted a reply to that guy...came out swinging too :fight:

Comment

• ejfiii
      • May 2003

Awesome post Andrew. It is much more legit coming from someone like you rather than a wanker, amateur hack like me that only knows he loves the way the Rotel sounds.

E. J.

Oh, and I have been finding myself in many street fights over there recently. Its actually quite fun, but not very sporty - rather like shooting fish in a barrel. Crap, why do I sound British now? Rotel is taking over my body.

My HT
      My HT

Comment

• ejfiii
        • May 2003

Hey Andrew, some people just don't get it. He goes out and listens and says it is the best he has heard, and then says he can get a great deal on a denon so he is going to buy that.

I am glad for him.

E. J.

My HT
        My HT

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I replied to him last comment

Comment

• Nick V
            • May 2003

I don't want to sound like an A-hole or anything, but doesn't the 1066 use old DAC's? I wouldn't call them outdated, or even inferior, but they are older 96/24 DAC's are they not? Most everything is now using 192/24 DAC's, but the most important aspect is still the implementation.

I know with my own ears that the 1066 outperforms the mid-range receiver offerings from Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Sony ES... but that doesn't change the fact that the 1066 does use older DAC's. Am I way off here? It does use 96/24 DAC's right?

Click Here to see my HT
            Click Here to see my HT

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Yes it uses older technology then what's currently available but as you point out there's more to the sound of a component than
              just the DAC. Afterall I'd be willing to be a 5 year old Wedia CD player would sound better then the DAC's in my brand new 1098

Comment

• Danbry39
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Sep 2002

I think the point made was that, while the DAC's might be older, it doesn't mean that they're outdated and the it doesn't take away from the fact that the receiver itself is sonically superior to most out there. Besides, with the constant evolution of this type of technology, there's always something new on the horizon. So, like you said, yes the DAC's are older, but many other factors go into the final product and, overall, Rotel is very successful in its design and implementation.

Keith
                Keith

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

EJ finally took a peek at your website...nice clean install:T Also the porche page as well

Comment

• Matt Sprouls
                    • Apr 2003

EJ what's the retail on that Plasma? ;x(

SHHWWWWING

Matt
                    Regards,
                    Matt

Comment

• ejfiii
                      • May 2003

Thanks guys. I need to take some newer pics as we are all moved in now and I have sinse hooked up the VCR, CD and ReplayTV and extra cable box.

The plasma was a gift from Korea (no way I could spend that on a TV), and they are not available here yet. I think they are starting to trickle in and should be here in force next month. Retail will be $20k, but I think they should start at around $16k street and quickly drop to below $15k where it should stay for a while until the 70 comes out at which point the price will drop some more. Samsung has built new plants to build the really big Plasmas and LCD and we should see that effectively lower the prices of the Plasma sets first, and then the other companies will be forced to follow. About 12 months from now should be a good time to be a plasma buyer.

Andrew, I am still searching, but have come up dry so far. And back at you, I saw your site the other day too - nice.

E. J.

My HT
                      My HT

Comment

• OnlyOne
                        • Aug 2003

Hey Andrew, some people just don't get it. He goes out and listens and says it is the best he has heard, and then says he can get a great deal on a denon so he is going to buy that.

I am glad for him.
                        I like how I can get slammed anonymously on an entirely different internet forum for making a choice that makes sense for my needs. Thats cute...

Ya know the greatest use that Ive found for forums like this, HTF, and AVS, et al, is for using the knowledge and experience of others to aid in ones own purchasing decisions and quest for knowledge. And the aid Ive found has been invaluable.

For the most part.

But ultimately, being an independant thinker, I can take what I learn and apply it as needed for my situation.

Everyone's needs are different, and thankfully, the combined knowledge of the readership of these forums can help place the right product for the right individual.

I'm glad you love your Rotel as much as you do. And I'm quite glad it suits your needs AND falls within your price range.

But I'm afraid Im not so arrogant as to talk down to a construction worker who goes out and drives a Ferrari and then buys a Nissan Maxima.

I'm quite excited to have found a product in my budget that will perform for me and give me the best bang for my particular buck. The Denon is going to be a cherished upgrade.

Oh yeah, and I'm glad for me too.

Comment

• ejfiii
                          • May 2003

Hey only one, it wasn't really a slam. I am glad you made the right decision for you. But let me look at what you said. Here's a quote about your listening experience with the 1055 (not 1065):

The audio from the 1055 was very clean, crisp, clear, and detailed and was simply stunning. This is leaps and bounds better than my current Yamaha 5560. The sound field in the well calibrated room was wonderful and it is no surprise that people have such an affinity for this receiver.

In the little time I spent with the NAD T762 a few weeks ago, Id say the Rotel has a much nicer sound and delivers for home theater unlike anything I've demod thus far. All I could say was wow.
                          You went on and praised the 1065 even more, but from the start that has been out of your budget. My point above that you think was a slam was simple: the 1055 was the best sound you had heard. Its in your price range (even with $300 for an outboard 2 channel amp on Audiogon) and it doesn't have connection issues (you never addressed that). I see now that it looks like you have a bunch of component hookups and the 1055 only allows two or three. So that is a problem, if you had said it up front, it would have been better.

So seriously, enjoy your 4802R, I am sure you will and I am sure it will sound great for you. That is what this is all about, enjoying what you got.

E. J.

My HT
                          My HT

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Only One we didn't mean to slam you at all and it doesn't matter what profession you work as anyone can appreciate quality audio and it seems you do:T Our comments we more a rebuttle to earlier comments that the 1055 and 1066 were outdated and later to question why you still went with the Denon when you yourself said the Rotel was better. If the Rotels' really are out of your budget range and thus not really up for consideration that's more then understandable but I didn't get that impression from your posts...sorry for the misunderstanding. Regardless of what receiver you end up buying please feel that the membership at HTGuide would more then welcome you as a new member.

Comment

• Energeezer
                              • Sep 2002

Only One
                              Good choice in that price range.

Back to the Dacs.
                              My buddy just got a Audio Research CD1 CDP. I can tell you that this player blows away most of the new players with the 24/96, 24/192 Dacs from the mainstream manufactureres such as Denon, Marantz, Nad, Rotel etc yet it uses 18 bit Dacs I think. This product model year is 1996 so the Dacs are old and outdated by todays standard of 24/192.
                              On the better players a lot of effort goes into the supporting circuitry such as power supplies and even the case. Here is an example. The Arcam FMJ CD23 uses a 24/96 Ring Dac and its predeccosor the Alpha 9 uses the same. The difference is in the power supplys, analog section and the chassis. It is widely understood that the FMJ is a better sounding player than the 9 yet it uses the exact same Dac.
                              Since I own an FMJ and my buddy has the AR he has agreed to come over for some A/B comparrissons. This should be interesting due to ARs reputation and the fact the FMJ has newer Dacs but also has the support circuitry and chassis. I by no means expect the FMJ to blow away the AR. In fact I'm a little nervous after hearing the AR. It has a level of dynamics which is hard to beat.
                              BTW. The AR and the FMJ were bought used at a price that would shame many of the newer players with the so called better Dacs.
                              Looking forward to compaing the 2 in an A/B and I'll post on this thread when it gets done. Should be soon.
                              Steve

The Future of HT lies in FP SPREAD THE WORD
                              The Future of HT lies in FP SPREAD THE WORD

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Steve I'd love to hear your CD player on my speakers one day...nice player:T

Comment

• Danbry39
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Sep 2002

Only One,

Hope you're still here. I really don't think anyone meant to slam you, but sorry anyway if you felt that way.

I think that a lot of this stems from our pride of ownership of Rotel products. We truly think they are a cut above sonically. Many/most of us have owned other gear in the past and didn't find it satisfying as our Rotels. I'm hoping you can understand that, if something offended you, it probably comes more from a place of really wanting to share the joy in something, rather than a place of putting down your choice. Obviously, the Denon fit your priorities better.

Maybe we're like a cult. :LOL:

Good luck to you and I hope you don't hold a grudge.

Keith
                                  Keith

Comment

• OnlyOne
                                    • Aug 2003

Well you may be happy to hear, or maybe not as the case may be, I've joined your cult. I went out and bought the 1055 AVR for $1175 from my local dealer a few hours ago. Heres an abridged version of my post to AVS:

My deal to pickup the 4802R for $1200 fell through. I was disappointed, but I'll live. I thought long and hard about where to go from here with a budget of $1300 total including tax. Since that limits my options significantly I decided that I'd just say screw it and do without some features now so I can start moving on a path towards seperates.

After only a few hours with it I can't thoroughly review it, but I'll say this. It absolutley smokes my Yamaha 5560. And I can finally listen to those two DVD Audio discs I bought! And they do sound great!

I plan to upgrade to 7.1 in November or so when Athena releases the Audition series Bipole surrounds. So when the time comes I'll look for a used Rotel 1070 2 channel amp to power my mains, and reassign my 1055 front amps to power the rears (which btw is a cool feature!).

In the mean time the sound is excellent, the features are better than what I had, if not as good as what they couldve been had I spent another $600 or so.

And best of all, I havent any regrets. I suppose I'm easy to please, you can't lament the loss of something you never had, and any way you look at it, this is a major step up.

As time and money allows I will pickup better amps for powering my fronts and center, and then way down the line maybe I'll start to audition some really expensive pre/pros. The 1098 and the parasound sure look nice.

In the mean time, things didnt work out the way I wanted but they worked out great none the less.
                                    I am quite happy with my purcahse, this beast, and it is a beast, looks great, sounds even better, and has been the topic of conversation with everyone over tonight for movie night.

I am very impressed.

Ultimately, I imagine you'll see me more often here at Club Rotel now that I've joied the club and am sure I will need assisstance now and again.

Now then, while I did feel like I was being slammed, attacked, whatever you want to call it, I do not hold grudges, but I think its important to maintain perspective.

Because something is the right choice for you does not make it the right choice for everyone, and certainly, crying the merits of your favorite manufacturer from the rooftops isnt bad, but try not to hold the ardor of a quntissential fanboy.

In any event, I love my receiver and am sure I will garner an unhealthy amount of enjoyment out of it.

Comment

• Danbry39
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Sep 2002

OnlyOne,

Somehow, you just made my day. I'm sorry your deal fell through with your Denon, but really would like it if you became a regular here at Club Rotel.

Keith
                                      Keith

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

Good to hear you found a product that will suit your needs and you're right I'm sure we'll all be pleased as punch you ended up with the Rotel Welcome to the Club:T

Comment

• OnlyOne
                                          • Aug 2003

Thank you both for your comments. I'm sure I'll enjoy being around.

Comment

• twitchie
                                            • Apr 2003

Welcome to the Cult :LOL:

"cult" ... odd, but fitting for this bunch... :? I like that description though

Comment

• ejfiii
                                              • May 2003

The Cult - one of the greatest rock bands. And one of the greatest AV company followings.

Welcome Only One, I hope Rotel fixes you up quickly.

E. J.

My HT
                                              My HT

Comment

• zeppelin
                                                • May 2003

OnlyOne, I was wondering from the start of this forum, What was your extra special features that you craving about in the Denon that the Rotels lacks off.
                                                I cant think of any missing features in the Rotels accept maybe an AC3 RF input to play with the older Lds with DD5.1 and maybe a missing built in tuner. So whats the feature?

Comment

• Tha Freak
                                                  • Jul 2003

Originally posted by zeppelin
                                                  ...and maybe a missing built in tuner. So whats the feature?
                                                  the 1055 has a build in tuner...and quite a fine one!!

- - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?
                                                  -Mr. Blond in Reservoir Dogs
                                                  - - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?

Comment

• OnlyOne
                                                    • Aug 2003

I don't think comparing the Denon 4802R and the Rotel 1055 based off the features alone is fair at all. They are after all in completely different price ranges.

But ignoring the quality of sound, here goes:

Denon Rotel

$2000 $1300
                                                    125wpc x 7 75wpc x 5
                                                    3 component inputs 2 component inputs
                                                    5 Toslink inputs 2 Toslink inputs
                                                    Onboard Zone 2 Ext. Zone 2
                                                    DTS 96/24
                                                    Pure Direct Mode
                                                    THX Ultra 2

Pretty drastic difference based just on the featureset! I had found someone who worked at an authorized dealer and was going to get me his discount with the standard 40% dealer markup at $1200 before taxes. At that price, hell even up to and including $1600, that is a great deal.

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"