X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glen1
    • Feb 2004

RSX1055 for 2 ch and compared to 1065 and later models

Hi Guys,
    I have posted in the past about Rotel but ended up with a Primare ht amp which I did like but was frustrating to use and frustratingly unreliable so it's been sold and I'm back to Rotel again.
    My plan is to have a 2 ch and surround using the same speakers but with a ht amp for ht and 2 amp of some description for music. I did want to go for something like a Bryston 2bsst to power the fronts and have a ht amp for a pre and surround speaker power and one which can re-route the front power to the rear channels. I'm after some opinions regarding different configurations. Firstly I have to choose a ht receiver and have a choice of a discounted 1055 at AU$1300 or a 1065 at AU$1900. My room is 14 foot square and I have Epos speakers so power is not a huge issue. At these prices is the 1065 worth the extra? I understand that technically the 1055 is superior in terms of processing than the 1065 and the 1065 won't re-direct the power amps.
    Will the 1055 prove to be an adequate pre amp for 2 ch (compared to the Primare)?
    Is the 1056 all that much better than the 1055?
    Does anybody have experience with Bryston vs Rotel amps?

Sorry for the long post but there is so much to consider and the discount prices end this week.

Regards,
    Glen
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

Howdie Glen, opinions will abound so here is one, I had an RSX-1055, which is a very respectable machine for its inteneded purpose. 2 channel is good, but I purchased a seperate RC-1070 2 channel pre only which was better sounding. The 1070 was more dynamic at lower listening levels. The RSX-1055 does'nt have the latest and greatest surround circuits as does the RSX-1056. I opted to sell the 1055, and 1070 and now use an RSP-1068 as this gave me the better of both worlds in one, and is much simpler to use. As far as the Rotel vs Bryston I can't comment, all I can say is I will not part with my RMB-1075 as it is unbeatable value for surround, but my RB-1080 is in the process of being challenged for 2 channel duties. It sounds like you have a flexible budget which will allow you to experiment and eventually get it the way you like it. Good luck and have fun, Bob

Comment

• thyname
      • Jan 2005

I have the same dilema Glen, while thinking to build my HT. I currently have RB-1080 RC-1070 RCD-1072 in a stereo only setup. I know that the best would be to purchase RSP-1068/RMB-1075 combo, together my RB-1080 for a 7.1 setup, but this is very expensive system, and I am thinking more and more of buying a RSX-1056 receiver instead and using my RB-1080 to power the front through the receiver's pre-outs. I am worried though that the 2 channel stereo quality will not be as good. Any opinions on the difference in sound among the two options? I hope there is somebody that can provide some insight on both of us (me and Glen), as they are very similar.

Or should I get RSX-1056 and use it in HT only, and keep my current stereo setup for use in 2 channel only with new speakers (or a speaker switch for my current speakers)?

Thanks a lot!!!

Comment

• rick c
        • Aug 2004

I have the rsx1056 i think it's fantastic.My understanding from other posters is that the rsx1056 is pretty much the same as the rsp1068 but with a tuner.It's great for 2channel as well as HT.You can add the 1080 to the receiver and it would be a great combo or for 7.1 if you need it.But if it were me i would probably keep your present stereo setup and just get the rsx1056 for HT,even though it does great in stereo also.Just think of it as having 2 great stereo setups and HT would be a bonus.

Comment

• thyname
          • Jan 2005

Thanks Rick for your reply!

Originally posted by rick c
          IYou can add the 1080 to the receiver and it would be a great combo or for 7.1
          Can I really do this? I mean, can I have a 7.1 system with rsx-1056 and Rb-1080 only? I would be delighted to know this for sure. I know that RSX-1056 would be more than enough for me for HT, but I am very concerned about two channel quality. I listen to my redbook CD more than 80% of time as compared to 20% for HT in my HTIB. I have more a collection of more than 400 cds and growing.

Comment

• rick c
            • Aug 2004

Yes you can but i cant remember the exact configuration. It's a matter of redirecting the speakers for 7.1 after you add the amp and i believe you have to reset the receiver and your all done for 7.1.But do you really need 7.1 the reason i say this is if you like 2channel so much why not just use the rsx1056/rb1080 as a combo for your mains.It would be in my opinion a great 2channel/HT combo.I plan to to this with mine in the future.I completly satisfied with 5.1.

Comment

• RebelMan
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Glen1, I do not have any direct experience with the RSX-1055 but I can tell you the RSX-1056 has a host of improvements which make it a significant upgrade.

Much of what you seek to know will depend heavily on what kind of speakers you are going to be driving in your two channel and multi-channel setups. Without this "specific" information, no one can properly advise you. However, I can tell you that the RSX-1056 is the perfect solution for someone wanting high-end audio reproduction for either music or movies at value pricing. Many respectable hi-fi journalists will concur.

Using my system as an example, I drive my entire system with the RSX-1056 in both cases. For music I engage my RSX-1056 in "bypass" mode using the RB-1080 out board power amplifier to drive my B&W 803Ss (mains). For movies I engage my RSX-1056 in 5.1 surround to drive my B&W HTM3S center and SCMS surrounds using the internal power amplifier while still using the the RB-1080 for the mains. I use bass management to redirect low end frequencies from the center and surrounds to the subwoofer with the mains set to deliver the full range.

The reasons for using an out board power amplifier has to do with the demands of my main speakers and preservation of signal quality. Running the RSX-1056 in bypass mode with an out board power amplifier provides "separates" like performance at all-in-one pricing.

I am afraid your question regarding Bryston is a little to vague to give a qualifying answer. Though, in short, I will tell you that the Bryston is in an entirely different league from Rotel and would be an awesome addition to any system musically speaking.
              "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• thyname
                • Jan 2005

Thank you Rick again for your reply. I am planning to start with 5.1, but just want to keep my options open for 7.1 in the future.

RebelMan:
                the RSX-1056 in bypass mode with an out board power amplifier provides "separates" like performance at all-in-one pricing
                Do you really believe that rsx-1056/Rb-1080 can provide stereo quality comparable to, let's say, RSP-1068/RB-1080 combo? I have read at this board that a dedicated processor like 1068 is much better. I would be happy to learn that you statement is true, and just purchase rsx-1056 without any regret right away... I noticed huge difference in quality coming from RX-1052 receiver to my current rc-1070/RB-1080 combo, and I doubt a receiver can perform preamp duties just as good as a preamp.

Comment

• rick c
                  • Aug 2004

From what i have read among other posters here,not personal knowledge is that the rsx156 is the same or allmost the same as the rsp1068 but with a tuner.Your going to have to decide which is more for you by auditioning both if you can.Besides i beleive the rsx1056/rb1080 combo would be less costly than the rsp1068 plus amp.Remember with the rsp1068 you would need atleast a 5channel amp or any combination of amps for HT as well as stereo performance.

Comment

• ds22030
                    • Sep 2004

I had a similar dilema a while back and was told that there is a very slight but noticeable difference in sound btwn the 1056 and 1068, even when using the 1056 as a pre....This is attributed to a better power supply, lack of tuner, and certain components being upgraded.

I ended up with a 1068 because of a local sale. What ever you end up getting, make sure you ren it for quite a while before critical listening. I found 1068 to be extremely bright but after running it about 20 hrs or so, and after playing with different interconnect combos, the sound smoothed out nicely....very detailed and airy....which reminds me:
                    Don't forget the cost of the interconnects in this equation..you obviously will need more if you go the complete separates route...

Comment

• RebelMan
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by thyname
                      Thank you Rick again for your reply. I am planning to start with 5.1, but just want to keep my options open for 7.1 in the future.

RebelMan: Do you really believe that rsx-1056/Rb-1080 can provide stereo quality comparable to, let's say, RSP-1068/RB-1080 combo? I have read at this board that a dedicated processor like 1068 is much better. I would be happy to learn that you statement is true, and just purchase rsx-1056 without any regret right away... I noticed huge difference in quality coming from RX-1052 receiver to my current rc-1070/RB-1080 combo, and I doubt a receiver can perform preamp duties just as good as a preamp.
                      For all intents and purposes yes, provided that you use the RSX-1056 with an outboard power amplifier. Rotel states this and it has been my experience also. The digital and analog components of the RSX-1056 and RSP-1068 are identical. The RSP-1098, however, employs special circuit isolation techniques separating the digital and analog signals making it superior to either the RSX-1056 or RSP-1068.

The RSP-1068 has a lower noise floor than the RSX-1056 and this maybe detected by some listeners. However, an external power amplifier mitigates this when the RSX-1056 is used as a pre-out amp. "Musically" speaking the RSX-1056 and RSP-1068 are virtually identical when used in this fashion.

P.S. Don't be fooled by the price. The RSX-1056 actually costs much more than the RSP-1068 in some countries like the U.K.
                      Last edited by RebelMan; 07 August 2005, 13:16 Sunday.
                      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• soundhound
                        • Mar 2004

The best way to answer is truely to go give a listen. I went thru this last spring, and actually got to have my dealer do an a/b test (thru switchgear) of the RSP-1068 vs the RSX-1056. Money wise (RSP-1068 $500 more)everything pointed to the 1056 as it has on board amplification, built in tuner, great looks......I took my favorite sampling cd, sat between some B&W speaks, both units piped into an RB-1080 amp, fed by the same cd player. Mark just stood and pushed the 1056- 1068 button while I listened. I bought the 1068 and have not looked back. Everyone has a different take on "hows" and "whys" so do yourselves a favor and go take a listen. You could assemble 10 people from here, put them in the same room for the same listening test, and get 10 different explanations of what was heard, and sell each person a different machine.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"