X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mave
    • Dec 2004

RB-1080 broken ??

Hello,
    I've been testing some new cables and ended upwith my 1080 only playing through the left channel.
    All cables are checked and with another power amp added to the 1056 all's working fine.

Any idea what's the matter ??

Thanks !
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

I would double check, just for what if sake, then suspect a solder joint for the rca connector, or the connector itself. They are usually more robust than that, but depending on the number of swaps and the cable grip something may have given up.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2003

Mave,

The RB-1080 has two time release 20 mm x 5 mm 6.3A or 8A fuses per channel on the inside. These can blow with things like shorts to the speaker cable or (for some of us) triggered turn-ons. In theory they are only dealer replaceable - so talk to your dealer...

Geoff

Comment

• mave
        • Dec 2004

I checked many times. I do get cracking sound through the right channel, especially on high volume.
        Do you expect high costs..... A pity as I bought the machine second hand from someone in Germany. It's only 4 months old and I guess without warranty in Holland... :cry:

Comment

• JDH
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
          Mave,

The RB-1080 has two time release 20 mm x 5 mm 6.3A or 8A fuses per channel on the inside. These can blow with things like shorts to the speaker cable or (for some of us) triggered turn-ons. In theory they are only dealer replaceable - so talk to your dealer...

Geoff

Agree with Geoff, it will most likely be the left channel fuse, if you search this forum you will find a lot of discussion of on left channel fuse failure with the RB-1080 (the thread could almost be made a sticky as it is so common with that model).
          Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• mave
            • Dec 2004

I opened the amp looking for fuses but - as I couldn't find any - thought the only one was on the back. ops:
            Does anyone know where to find them inside ??

Thanks

Comment

• mave
              • Dec 2004

Reopened and found them ! They're broken. Although I'm not a "handyman" I must be able to replace them.
              Thanks !!!!

Comment

• Mitchell
                • Sep 2004

Mave,
                I think its important that you read the threads regarding the 1080 fuse problem as Geoff suggests.
                There has been an issue with some 1080 blowing fuses and there is I believe a 2 step solution-upgrade that solves it completely.
                The first is larger fuses and the second in combo with larger fuses is an upgrade to some capacitors that can only be done by Rotel.
                The larger fuses could probably be obtained by you and installled, and is reported to solve it in a large percentage of cases even without the upgrade to the capacitors.
                Hope this is helpful.
                Mitchell

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"