X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rnp614
    • Feb 2005

My RSP-980 may be broken?

I just recently purchased a RSP-980 from audiogon and its in EXCELLENT SHAPE--except for the switch in the back that controls the center modes. That switch happens to be missing. I'm currently running 4.1 so I really need to throw this switch into the middle? Is there anything I could do without having to send it to Rotel? Would I be able to stick something in there like a paper clip and safely do it?

Let me know! Thanks!
  • rnp614
    • Feb 2005

any assistance for the new guy on the block?

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

You may be the new guy, but the preamp is the old guy.. I'm sure most of this forum hasn't ever seen a 980 and would know anything about the switch.. Allow some time for other people that might have owned one.

Kevin D.

Comment

• rnp614
        • Feb 2005

haha thanks for the tip

Comment

• soundhound
          • Mar 2004

rnp, when you ask "stick something in there" implies the switch housing and contacts are still intact, is it just the slide that is missing? If memory serves me you have normal, none, and large for options? This is a dptt switch, which should be a simple fix for most any shop in case you don't live near a dealer. If the switch is completely missing I would suspect you have selected none by default as this would leave you with an open circuit.

Comment

• rnp614
            • Feb 2005

well what I see inside the hole is 2 vertical wires of copper. The original owner never used it and so I think it was on normal bc that person used a center channel. Also, what kind of shop would I take it to?

Comment

• rnp614
              • Feb 2005

by stick something in there I mean could I possibly switch the switch with a pair of tweezers

Comment

• soundhound
                • Mar 2004

The previous owner may have just tied a couple of circuits together (psuedo switch) to keep the machine running for his application. By shop I meant any electronic service center. Believe it or not these things still bring some descent money (killer 2 channel) so you probably don't want it "hacked". I sold mine with an RDA-980 processor about 6 mos. ago and got $500 for the pair. Finding a double pole tripple throw (on-off-on) switch wouldn't be as hard as finding the one with the correct footprint to be plug and play. I would be quite cautious about sticking anything in it and trying to adjust as this may do more harm than good. Good Luck, Bob

Comment

• rnp614
                  • Feb 2005

I actually am only planning on using it for 2 channel so I guess this issue is just a problem for my friend thats borrowing it for now. Its just one of those things that bugs you but doesnt really matter in the end. I'm still waiting on the response from Rotel. Either way, the Stereo sound is complete sweetness.

Comment

• soundhound
                    • Mar 2004

Hear-Hear................

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"