X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Christian M
    • Feb 2005

Upgrade time...

Hey guys. Kinda stumbled upon this site/forum but what a great find.

Anyhow. It's time to upgrade (soon hopefully) to some rotel stuff and your opinions/suggestions will be very helpful. The Onkyo/Polk setup has functioned fine for a couple of years now but it now has its limitations, hence the need/want for rotel equipment. I'm planning on getting the rmb-1075, rsp-1068 (or 1098 - worth it?), and eventually the rdv-1050 and rb-1070 (to power the fronts). Speakers... well that's still a toss-up. Paradigm Reference series are up top as well as Swans but other suggestions will be accounted for. Definitely going to have floor-standing speakers for the fronts for stereo listening. I just want to get a general concensus if these particular components will provide a clear but NOT bright/forward sound.

Thanks in advance
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

As many will tell you, the wisest thing to do is take a test drive. Most of us would'nt buy a $5000 vehicle b-4 driving it, why should these goodies be any different. I currently own the RSP-1068, RMB-1075, and RMB-1070 all driving a full compliment of Klipsch Reference speaks. I absolutely love the sound. I did get to hear the 1068, Anthem power amp (model ???) through some "big" Paradigm floorstanders b-4 I bought my 1068 and the soundstage was what sent me to my dealer to do some test driving and comparing. I came from Yamaha, Carver, Koss (believe it or not they made towers) and the single biggest improvement to me was Rotel, Rotel, and Rotel. You do owe it to yourself to go and give em a try.........Bob

Comment

• audiofan
      • May 2004

Hi,
      I just want to jump in for tower speaker. I have axiom M60. It sounds great to me and the price is reasonable.

Comment

• weijst
        • Jun 2004

Christian,

Welcome! I myself upgraded to the 1068/1075 combination about half a year ago (coming from a budget Marantz) and must say it's been a delight so far! The RMB-1075 is a impressive machine indeed and I believe that it has been the most noticeable upgrade. HOWEVER, for 2 ch listening it does have its limits (now I think of it, that's about the only downside), especially compared to upclass, dedicated 2 ch amps.

You mentioned the addition of an RB-1070. I myself would save up a little longer and get the RB-1080. This amp might be a better long term investment, as it will be powerfull enough for a wider range of speakers (not unimportant since you're considering floorstanders). Not to say the RB-1070 (or the RMB-1075 for that matter) won't be able to drive these, but the 1080 does have that edge.

Furthermore I believe that when you're used to the RMB-1075's 2ch performance, the RB-1070's 2ch performance might not give you the leap in performance you hope for...
        Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

If warm smooth sound is what you're looking for the Swans would be a better bet then the Paradigms and getting a 1080 to power the front mains would be a wise move.

Comment

• Slice
            • Jan 2005

Christian,

I recently put together an HT setup which incorporates the RSP-1068, RMB-1075, and Paradigm Studio 40v3's (also Denon 2910).

FWIW, somehow, to me the 40's sounded better on 2 channel than the 60's or 100's. I was already a fan of the clear Paradigm sound and am very happy with my selection. Other speakers I auditioned with the Rotel included B&W's (too muddy - dont recall model, but were ~ $1800 & the Studio 40 'equivalent') and M&K's (waaay too bright).

Nits:
            1. I now realize the convenience factor of the display screen on the front of the 1098, instead of having to warm up the TV for several minutes every time I want to access the setup menu on the 1068, which is still pretty often.
            2. The funky volume button on the remote - one press does not always produce one unit of volume change.

Other than that, I love it all.

Good Luck and have fun!
            - Slice

Comment

• Christian M
              • Feb 2005

Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate the input.

Soundhound - point taken. I have already had the chance to audition a rotel/paradigm combination (twice actually) but I could not remember which amp they had driving the speakers (pre/pro was 1098).

I did like the Paradigm but since my listening duration was kind of short, I could only take in so much. I did like the sound however...

Audiofan - Axiom's are an option as well.

As for the two channel amp... I never even thought of that - the rotel being "limited." I dont really listen to movies or music at intense levels but future compatibility would be great. Not to mention the extra headroom in a 200watt amp would be nice.

My main concern was the sound of swan's with rotel equipment as I have only heard a rotel/paradigm combo. Delightful to say the least.

Thanks again!!

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"