X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skipm
    • Jun 2003

1098 Video Setup Questions

Since this is the first receiver/processor that I've owned with more than 2 component video inputs I wanted to check with the other 1098 owners in the group to make sure I was reading the setup information correctly. You can connect 5 video sources, labeled Video 1 thru 5. You have 4 component video inputs, labeled 1 thru 4. Does the component video input labeling correspond with the the Video source labeling? (i.e. Component Video 1 is Video Source 1, Component Video 2 is Video Source 2, etc., etc.. Since they are not assignable I'm pretty sure this is the case however it's always nice to have a second opinion.

Now an observation having to do with the video conversion that I wonder if anyone else has seen. I have 5 video sources, all connected via the component video inputs except for my ReplayTV 5160 which I have connected to Video Source 5 thru the S-Video input. My cable box is a Motorola 5100 which does HDTV so last night I wanted to see if ESPN was broadcasting the Braves game on ESPNHD. I'm on Video Source 5 (ReplayTV) and I change channels to ESPNHD and I see a blank screen on my monitor and the 1098 TFT screen and I wonder what's going on. The Motorola 5100 is also connected to Video Source 3 thru component video input 3 so I switch over there and take a look and I see the following message on the screen, "This channel will be available shortly." I switch back to Video 5 (ReplayTV) and see a blank screen. The message does not appear on my monitor or the 1098 even though it is clearly there. I had a similar setup with my Denon 3803 receiver which also did video conversion and didn't have this problem. Has anyone else seen this occur?

Skip
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Does the component video input labeling correspond with the the Video source labeling?
    Yes that's correct.

As for the video problem the way I read it you were trying to view a HD signal though the s-video connected cable box right? If that's the case it won't work since s-video won't pass a progressive image so even though the 1098 will upconvert to component it can't if signal isn't there. That and you'd have to set the TFT display to progressive to view anything on the screen I believe.

Comment

• skipm
      • Jun 2003

Andrew-

I'm using the S-Video out from the Motorola 5100 cable box to S-Video in on the ReplayTV 5160. Then I'm using the S-Video out on the ReplayTV 5160 to the S-Video in on the 1098. Since the path is S-Video all the way, the signal is 480i all the way. Also, I tuned to a regular cable channel I don't subscribe to, Showtime, and got a blank screen as well. When I switched over to Video 3 (Cable) there was a message there letting me know that I need to subscribe before receiving this channel.

I'll do some more testing tonite. I'll connect the S-Video out from the cable box direct into the 1098, taking the Replay out of the mix and see what happens. Like I said I had a similiar setup with a Denon 3803 and didn't see this issue. I was also using an Audio Authority 1154 Component Video Switcher as well.

-Skip

-Skip

Comment

• ejfiii
        • May 2003

Skip, I'm a little confused as to what you are trying to do. I have a similar setup as you, though I have a totally separate cable box feeding my RTV.

AFAIK, you will never see a HD image from the 5100 cable box unless you have componet hooked up from the cable box to the TV. That can go through the 1098 if you want (I think). But if you are trying to send an HD channel over svideo cable from the cable box, whether it goes through the RTV or not, it wont work. Also, RTV will not record HDTV, nor will it pass HD signals through it since it has no component inputs.

I am assuming your cable box is similar to my Sci. Atl. HD box. I have my component cables from the cable box using one of the inputs on the TV and I switch it there when I want to watch HD. My other component input is a DVD player and I switch that in my 1065 receiver.

I hope that helps some, and if it doesnt, I am not clear on the problem you are having and it would be helpful if you could clarify a little.

E. J.

My HT
        My HT

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

It's possible that if the Motorola is set to HD, that it will only display on screen messages through the HD output (even though it has redundant SD output through S-video of everything not HD).

Kevin D.

Comment

• skipm
            • Jun 2003

Hey Guys-

Sorry I didn't do a better job of explaining what I am seeing (or actually not seeing ). My cable box is Video Source 3 using a component input, my Replay is Video Source 5 using a s-video input. When I switch to a channel that I don't subscribe to, I see the typical Comcast ad stuff across the bottom of the screen and a message that says basically need to subscribe to get this channel. I see all this on on Video 3, I switch to Video 5 and I see nothing. None of the graphics show up on my display or the Rotel's TFT screen on Video 5.

The cable box is connected to the PVR via s-video, the PVR is connected to the 1098 via s-video. The 1098 is connected to my display via component. I switched to a standard definition channel so I know the signal is 480i which is all it can be over s-video. I should be seeing the exact same image over both sources except for the fact the PVR image will be slightly delayed. This is the way it was connected to my 3803.

I'll do some more testing tomorrow. It took me 2 days to rip everything out and put it back together and if I start pulling stuff out now, my wife is gonna kill me. Plus I want to sit back and enjoy the fruits of my labor. I still tweaking but I can already tell a big difference in sound quality. I've listened to a few CDs and some DVD-Audio's and the 1098/1075 combo has really opened up my Monitor Audio's. It's hard to describe but the sound is "fuller", more open across the front. I'm not turning the volume up any higher than before but I really like what I hear so far. I still have to dial the sub in a bit more and I'll do a more formal review after I've finished tweaking.

I was hoping someone else out there had a video source connected via s-video and was outputting over component so they could verify my results.

-Skip

Comment

• ejfiii
              • May 2003

Eureka! Unless Rotel has changed something with the new 1098, it will not convert S-Video signals up to component signals for out to the TV. So if you input an S-Video signal, you have to output an S-Video signal. So try connecting an SVideo cable from your 1098 S-Video MOnitor Out to your TV S-Video in.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but the 1055, 1065 and 1066 all act this way.

Good luck,

E. J.

My HT
              My HT

Comment

• skipm
                • Jun 2003

E. J.

The 1098 will convert composite and s-video signals to component video and it looks wonderful. I don't want to say anymore until I do some more testing but I think there my be an issue with the s-video up conversion in a rare situation. I want to come up with a test that someone else can recreate and verify.

-Skip

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

I have both my VCR and DSS connected with s-video and they work fine via componet output to my monitor.

Comment

• Howie
                    • Feb 2003

I have an old VCR connected to the 1098 via composite and a Tivo connected via S-video. Both signals are upconverted and sent to my monitor via component cables. Works great!

Howie

Howie
                    Howie

Comment

• ejfiii
                      • May 2003

Well SH$!. Anyone want to buy a 1 month old 1065?

My wife is going to kill me and hate you guys.

E. J.

My HT
                      My HT

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

EJ resistance is futile :W

Comment

• Azeke
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2003

EJ,

Did you buy the 1065 at Myer-Emco, because they have a ninety day trade-up policy on receivers?

No worries, my wife wasn't happy with me either, but opportunity rang my doorbell.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• ejfiii
                            • May 2003

Damn you Azeke. I know the policy, but I had conveniently forgotten about it.

E. J.

My HT
                            My HT

Comment

• Azeke
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2003

UhOh :uhoh: . This could present a problem.

Just trying to keep you abreast with current information.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"