X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiofan
    • May 2004

New owner of rcd-1072.

Finally, i have owned rcd-1072 after an hour listening at a local dealer. I take a plung on this baby as i don't know how it sounds in my system (denon avr-2805 and rotel rmb-1080). I won't regret when i bring it home....it sounds awesome. I decide to go for black version instead of silver because all of my gears are in black color Another thing is rcd-1072 decodes HDCD and i love it as i have several HDCD music CDs.

I hope i can enjoy this unit for a long time...

thanks all.
  • nyny
    • Jul 2004

audiofan, congrats on the new CD player. I have my 1072 for a few months now and I have to say that it's one of the most worthwhile upgrade I made. You are sure to enjoy it for a long time...hehe :T
    Tony

Comment

• Jeff
      • Dec 2004

You'll enjoy your 1072. Formerly I played my cd's off of a $400 dvd player. The 1072 was wonderfully more dynamic with greater detail. We cannot forget the black back ground provides an intimacy to the music I had not previously enjoyed.

Make sure you have good interrconnects. When I tried a Monster cable 550i with the player and it lost it's magic! You bought a great player. Buy good interrconnects, set back and enjoy! :T I would recommend against using the digital out on the 1072. It's DAC's will likely be much better than your pre/pro or receiver.

Have fun!

Comment

• audiofan
        • May 2004

thanks. I got very good interconnect and i use analog out.... One thing i notice is rcd-1072 is heavy, solid built...

Comment

• mmpeak
          • Jan 2005

Best CD player I've ever had!

Congrats! I really enjoy mine, sounds great. I'm very impressed
          with the sound quality, much better than any I've had so far.
          Love the extra detail and smoothness.

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

Congrats on the new purchase!!!

Now here's a question maybe someone can help answer for me...

I have a Pioneer DVD player that I am currently using for CD listening. It's pushed via coax (digital) to my RSP-1098. I'm assuming the 1098 is being used for it's DAC for the music. Now my question is, would it be better to get the 1072 and use the analog connects on it to the 1098? Would the sound be THAT much better over letting the 1098's DACs be used for the sound?

I'm basically squeezing pennies here with trying to buy all this gear and I'm just not sure if it's worth trying out or not.... Can someone give me an idea if my thinking is correct that the DACs in the 1098 are almost as good as the ones in the 1072?
            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
            -Dan

Comment

• audiofan
              • May 2004

When i auditioned rcd-1072, i had a chance of trying out rsp-1098 at the store. This one sounds great, but that runs with the digital out from rcd-1072. I guess, it would be the same if DAC in rsp-1098 and rcd-1072

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2003

PewterTA,

The RSP-1098 has different DACs than the RCD-1072 (which are optimised for the CD 44.1 Kz 16 bit signal. I have both...

I have found that the difference between the two depends very much on the quality of the interconnects used and whether you use pure stereo (i.e. bypass on the RSP-1098 ). Firstly, unless you use pure stereo - the RSP-1098 will redigitise all analog inputs to do bass processing etc - wasting / masking the quality of any DACs in the CD player... So for 5.1 or 7.1 with Dolby IIx Music - I use digital coax into the RSP-1098. For pure stereo I use analog (for a better more natural stereo sound).

However getting to this required a journey of different quality interconnects. Once I got a digital interconnect of a certain standard the sound bettered by analog interconnects. I needed to get very good analog interconnects for the analog sound to again better the digital. Either way the sound from the RCD-1072 for CDs is way better than my 2 different DVD players playing CDs (bits aint bits).

If you can't afford both types off interconnects go for the best digital coax you can... It will be great for all types of music and one day - when you can afford a good analog interconnect you can get that extra edge for pure stereo...

Geoff

Comment

• PewterTA
                  • Nov 2004

Geoff,

Thanks man! That's what I was looking for. I use Belden 1505F cable with Canare end caps for my analog stereo cables and Belden 1694A for my Digital Coax (with Canare Ends) cables and have yet to find a better cable that isn't 10x the amount.

So they might not be the absolute best, but they've thoroughly compared to any cables that I can find that fit the price range...

Right now I don't use the bypass mode with my DVD player as I doubted the DACs in it were much better (and probably aren't) than the 1098. So I just run the digital cable to the 1098. But I definitely (with the good DACs of the 1072) would run both the digital and analog cables from it and most likely use the bypass mode of the 1098 (for the analogs) as my main listening style...

But I wanted to make sure there's a decent night/day difference between how my DVD player would output to the 1098 and the DACs of the 1098 decoded, over the DACs in the 1072. I pretty much figured the 1072 us going to be better with the Burr Brown DACs than the 1098, but just figured I'd ask someone that might know how much better the sound is!

Now to see how much I can get it for...
                  Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                  -Dan

Comment

• thyname
                    • Jan 2005

I like Rotel RCD-1072 too and I want to buy one soon. I have a Rotel RX-1052 Stereo receiver. The problem is that my local store Myer-Emco does not have one in stock (has to be special ordered) and I also think that USD 700 is too much. Any idea how to find it cheaper? Also the other Rotel CD player RCD-02 is cheaper, and I wonder if there is a big difference in quality with 1072. Any input would be greately appreciated.
                    Thanx!!

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2003

thyname,

Beforw I bought by RCD-1072 I did a detailed listenning comparison with the RCD-02 - same equipment, and CDs and room etc. I found the RCD-1072 to be a very clear step up in clarity, transparcency and musicallity... The RCD-02 was good but the RCD-1072 was amazing...

I left with the RCD-1072

Geoff

Comment

• audiofan
                        • May 2004

Thyname,
                        The only way you can get new rcd-1072 is to buy it through dealer. If you want to get a cheaper price, then you will need to get used one at the place such as audiogon.com, but it's very competitive because this unit will be sold out quickly.
                        I was in the same situation, and i decide to get new one since it's a delicated electronic equipment and i don't want any problem. I went to another dealer beside Myer-Emco as i got it with better price with 10% off MSRP. So , in the end, i think it's not bad and not such a good deal. I like it a lot .

Good luck.

Comment

• thyname
                          • Jan 2005

Geoff and audiofan;

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. I guess I have to wait for the private sale of Myer-Emco (those with invitations). So far I have not been able to find a different authorized Rotel dealer in my area (Falls Church, VA 22041) to compare it with M-E.

Thanks again both!

Comment

• roundmound
                            • Sep 2004

Thyname,

I too am in the Washington Metro area. Audio-Video Solutions (14621 Baltimore Blvd., Laurel , MD, 301 953-7242 - College Park Exit 25 on Beltway) also sells Rotel equipment and in my opinion offers greater discounts and are more helpful with any questions. I received a 17% discount when the 1068, 1095 and 1070 were purchased. My only need at Myer-Emco is B&W speakers, otherwise I would never even enter the store.

Good luck,
                            Darin

Comment

• audiofan
                              • May 2004

Originally posted by thyname
                              Geoff and audiofan;

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. I guess I have to wait for the private sale of Myer-Emco (those with invitations). So far I have not been able to find a different authorized Rotel dealer in my area (Falls Church, VA 22041) to compare it with M-E.

Thanks again both!

Thyname,
                              There is another dealer in Centreville, VA called . Go to www.rotel.com to check for the address. This is where i got 1072. Basically, there are many Myer-Emco in Washingtonian area. And each store will have different discount or none at all depending on the saleman

Good luck.

Comment

• thyname
                                • Jan 2005

hI there;

Thank you Darin for your information. I have talked to Audio-Video Solutions as well (over the phone though since they are about 45 min away from where I live) they were very kind and offered me around 10% discount.

However, just about an hour ago I was able to get it down to USD 640 from my local Myer-Emco (I guess they can offer these deals when they want to) I will arrive in about one week. To tell you the truth I could not wait any longer to get my hands to 1072.

I am planning to couple it with my Rotel RX-1052 stereo receiver for listening to CD audio only. I know that I have to buy some quality interconnectors though. Any suggestions on what are the best connectors for these two components out there!??? I plan to spend a little over USD 50 and only use them for 2 ch stereo CDs. I'd appreciate any info!!!

Comment

• audiofan
                                  • May 2004

thyname,
                                  you get PM. $640 is a good price.

Comment

• thyname
                                    • Jan 2005

Hey audiofan, what is PM. I assume a brand for interconnectors?

Comment

• audiofan
                                      • May 2004

No.. Private Message.

Comment

• roundmound
                                        • Sep 2004

Thyname,

I believe PM is Private Message. Look in the top right corner of your HTGuide screen for the link.

As far as cables, I currently use the standard cheap fare (Monster, Audioquest) BUT as soon as I pay off my latest purchases, I plan on calling Lex at CatCables for some premium quality cables. This may be a strategy you can employ also.

Congrats on the 1072. I am tempted to purchase one for audio and leave the 1060 for video.

Darin

Comment

• thyname
                                          • Jan 2005

Thanks Darin for your tip, I'll check CatCables out.

Hey Geoff!! if you get this, what interconnects you suggest for my RX-1052 Stereo Receiver to my RCD-1072 Cd player?

Comment

• shep
                                            • Dec 2004

Discounts on 1072

I was offered a 10% discount on the 1072 at my Myer-Emco in Bethesda a few weeks ago. Will be going in during their sale next week to see if I can pair it with an RC-1070 and get a slightly better price. Again, they have to order it, as no one seems to stock the 1072.

Comment

• roundmound
                                              • Sep 2004

Shep,

Is Myer-Emco having a public sale or private, invitation only sale next week? Since I just bought 805Ss from them, I hope I would be invited.

Thanks

Comment

• audiofan
                                                • May 2004

what do you mean "public" or "private" sale? I don't understand why Myer-Emco does business that way. It's probably that only M-Es carries Rotel in Washingtonian area and they donminate us ! I wish that more high-end audio stores in the area carry Rotel.

Comment

• thyname
                                                  • Jan 2005

Myer-Emco in Northern VA is having an invitation only pre-warehouse sale on March 3 to proceede the open to public warehouse sale that weekend. However, I don't think they will have a discounted RCD 1072, since this type of sale is for floor models, discountinued items only.

Comment

• roundmound
                                                    • Sep 2004

I could not agree more audiofan. Something about Myer-Emco's business practices do not sit well with me.

The M-E public sales are weekly promotions open to all walk-in customers with marginal discounts on usually mass-produced equipment, like Bose and Yamaha.

Their "private" sale is an invitation-only, usually one day or evening event where they sell their demos and trade-ins of the high-end products. When I traded up from the B&W 705s to the 805Ss and asked what they did with them, that is what I was told.

Audio Visual solutions is at least an option for Rotel (DC has none for B&W), but more dealers certainly create more competition and better pricing.

If you know of better retailers within a 150 mile radius, please let me know as I would not mind a Sunday drive to support another retailer.

Thanks,
                                                    Darin

Comment

• audiofan
                                                      • May 2004

Roundmount,
                                                      I think there are lots of dealers in Philadelphia, PA and it's not far from DC area. The problem is if your equipment has problem , you will have either drive all the way to dealer or ship the unit (which i don't prefer.. ) LIke you , i don't mind driving if i have a good deal. Also, i think there is no sale tax in Delaware too.

by the way, anyone heard of Aperion tower power speaker? From the website, it looks simple, cool, but i don't know how it sounds. Good thing is it has 30 days in-home try out. I may try it as i'm looking for new full-range speaker for my 2 channel stereo as well.

Comment

• audiofan
                                                        • May 2004

Originally posted by roundmound
                                                        I could not agree more audiofan. Something about Myer-Emco's business practices do not sit well with me.

The M-E public sales are weekly promotions open to all walk-in customers with marginal discounts on usually mass-produced equipment, like Bose and Yamaha.

Their "private" sale is an invitation-only, usually one day or evening event where they sell their demos and trade-ins of the high-end products. When I traded up from the B&W 705s to the 805Ss and asked what they did with them, that is what I was told.

Audio Visual solutions is at least an option for Rotel (DC has none for B&W), but more dealers certainly create more competition and better pricing.

If you know of better retailers within a 150 mile radius, please let me know as I would not mind a Sunday drive to support another retailer.

Thanks,
                                                        Darin

try giftedlistener.com . This dealer is in VA.

Comment

• shep
                                                          • Dec 2004

M-E private sale in Bethesda next Thursday

True, they will only have trade-ins and floor models at the sale, but I would be willing to pick up a slightly used pre-amp. Wouldn't buy a used CD player, though - too many more things that can go wrong...

I understand that there are a few other Rotel dealers in the DC area. Check their website armed with a few local area codes to search in DC, Maryland, and Virginia.

Comment

Working...
                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                          Search Result for "|||"