X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eslaudio
    • Jul 2004

RSX-1056 Annoying HDCD Issue

My new RSX-1056 has the annoying tendency to cut the first second of HDCDs. This does not happen with standard CDs but seems to be the result of the Rotel taking a second to read the HDCD. My player (Cambridge Audio Azur 640c) is not an HDCD player, and this problem did not happen with my previous receiver which did not have HDCD decoding technology. Anyone with similar experience and/or suggestions?
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Assumign you're running the latest firmware there's not much that can be done to fix the issue. All that I can suggest is that maybe hitting the back button once to restart the track might work and once its locked onto HDCD it could be ok? I've only got a few HDCD's and haven't really noticed much of a delay with them on the 1098 but I don't often listen to those CD's

Comment

• Wolfenstein 2k2
      • Jun 2004

@ eslaudio

I´ve got the same issue with my 1098. When playing a HDCD CD on my DVD player (digital connection) and consequently using the HDCD decoder within the 1098, then the first second of the first track on that CD can´t be heard. This seems to be due to the fact that the processor needs some time to detect the HDCD stream as you already assumed.

This issue is especially annoying if you use a CD with some HDCD tracks only. In this case the 1098 always switches between HDCD mode and non-HDCD mode so that the first second of every HDCD track is missing provided that there is at least one track in between which is not HDCD decoded. When using a completely decoded HDCD CD, only the first track is affected by this issues as I said already.

Another issue: If you press the "pause" button on your player while playing a HDCD track, the 1098 loses the connection to the HDCD stream and switches to non-HDCD mode - when resuming play back the 1098 switches to HDCD mode again resulting in a 1 sec delay until you can hear something.

However, as I use a NAD 541i HDCD compatible CD player I am not affected by this annoying issue as decoding takes place within the CD player. By the way, less than 5% of all my CD´s are HDCD decoded...

Comment

• jerohm
        • Oct 2002

I created a WAV file (cut with a WAV editor) of about 1 sec of HDCD silence (yes there is such a thing!, http://f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/...=/HDCD&.view=l ) and re-burned the CD with it prefixed to the first track. Actually, you may need to add several copies of this 1 sec WAV clip (4 seconds or so). Alternatively, you could create a 4 sec HDCD silence track #1. Don't mess with any type of digital scaling when working with HDCD (or DTS) WAV files!!! Sounds excessive, but I really don't have that many HDCD in the first place, and it bugged the hell out of me each time it happened! This is definitely a problem with 1066 and I assume it inflicts the 1098 as well.

Once the HDCD stream is detected, it seems to remain active for at least a couple of seconds even if the data stream is interrupted (paused or 2 second break between tracks)

Comment

• Mark_C.
          • Jan 2003

Here's a suggestion: load the HDCD disc into your player, but don't hit play immediately. Let the disc boot up in the player first. With this little extra time, the player sends the appropriate information to the pre/pro before you hit the play button. I have a 1066 hooked up to a Marantz DV-7010. I notice it takes the player a few seconds to decide whether the disc I just put in is a DVD or CD. This player processing time may be the reason the signal gets cut off a bit.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"