X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gizmo
    • Jan 2005

Rotel 991 thx deception ???

Hi...purchased a Rotel rb 991 Thx, to amplify my Marantz SR 7400(as pre).

Not noticed beter sound...loike other people said. It´s posible that cable conexion betwen marantz (preouts)----->Rotel in....down quality to Rotel?

I play Dynaudio 42 Speakers directly to marantz.....and then put Marantz as pre and rotel as amplifier...in same songs...and guys...no better sound. At same volume level...Marantz sounds a bit high and in my opinion very close but 4me a bit better for Marantz alone.
    Its posible that my cable conexion is as bad as lose all quality sound from Rotel?
    Rotel have 200 w 8 ohms and 300 w 4 ohms
    And Marantz have 110 w at 8 ohms and 170 w at 4 ohms...But at same volume level...i listen Marantz high!!!
    This Rotel is made in China...
    Whats the problem?
    Or simply Marantz SR 7400 alone is better than pak marantz- Rotel?
    Im very disappointed...please...advises!!!
  • gizmo
    • Jan 2005

maybe ROTEL only works with procesors ROTEL?

Some people in other forum said that he have a RMB 1075...and conected to sherwood AV procesor...bad sound..harsh, closed, cold...
    Then he buy a rsp 1066 procesor by rotel...and light is in sky!!
    This is true? i think that RB 991 THX was an excelent power amplifier...
    but only works with
    ROTEL procesor???
    help! thanks!
    my last post in this forum was this

HELP!!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

What interconnects are you using? It might be possible that the pre outs in your receiver aren't very good which would certinaly degrade the sound you hear.

Comment

• Can1
        • Nov 2004

Hi GIZMO, I do not own the SR7400, but I had the older SR7000 a while back,I am also using the Dynaudio 72SE and 52SE. I would guess the SR7400 is better. From my own experience, unless you have a very sensitive hearing, it is very hard to tell much different with a better amplifier since the SR7400 is not bad in the first place. However you will have better chance to hear big different with a better pre-amp. I am using the Rotel RSX-1056 in my bedroom now, I sometimes pull the amplifier from my main system and use RSX-1056 as the Pre. to listen to two channel music, I think it sounds much better then the Marantz. I have not own other Rotel products so I cannot say that they will sound better. Also I am lucky not to have the hiss/hum issues that many members here seem to have. Since you already purchased the RB- 991, just sit back and enjoy it.

Comment

• gizmo
          • Jan 2005

One guy sayme here...http://www.forodvd.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/...num=1107559602

this...

Hello deccra, I will say to You that the Rotel stage is normal that it does not sound well next to the Marantz, since needs a preproces Rotel, otherwise the sound that is obtained is little real, skeletal, harsh, closed and others. I verified it with a AV Sherwood exerting as previous of my stage Rotel d Rmb-1075. What a disastrous. But when arrives the Rsp-1066 became the light you do not embroil but so that the reality is that that if, with previous of Rotel the Audience they remain little qualitatively speaking. Ah, the stage stere Rotel Rb-991 is truely magnificent a hug and to sleep that it is already hour.

This are some photos...Andrew Pratt...i think conector
          is normal conector...not so bad.
          And pre out material from Marantz...i dont know..its extrange.

Do you thing that there is a big diference between marantz SR 7400 PREprocesor + Rotel RB 991
          o a ROTEL rsp 1066/68 + Rotel RB 991
          Thanks!!!

Comment

• DrJRapp
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2003

Gizmo

You appeat to be using the inexpensive interconnects that come with equipment. These are for emergency only. You need higher quality interconnects. That may be part of your problem.

The output (gain) of the Marantz may be lower than the Rotel requires for full output.

That frequently happens with separates where one component is not suitable for use with another, yet both are quality components on their own.
            Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• gizmo
              • Jan 2005

Solutions?

And my solutions....maybe...
              1. Purchase higher quality interconnects
              2. Purchase a RSP ROTEL procesor

I try to change procesor. Test another preprocesor...and purchase higher quality interconnects, Before buy a ROTEL procesor....no money now!!jeje
              More solutions?
              Thanks

Comment

• Arnold van Oostrum
                • Sep 2002

Gizmo,

Like Jerry stated, the first thing you really MUST do is buy much better interconnects. The ones you use know really damage the sound. It's a pity for the good quality of your equipment if you don't use better interconnects.

Changing the processor with these low quality interconnects you now have, won't give much improvement. So first, buy decent interconnects and the sound will enhance dramatically.

When using better interconnects you will definitely hear difference in sound quality. The Rotel amp has much more power reserve and will give you better dynamics and better controlled sound. This is especially noticable in the lower frequencies.

Comment

• gizmo
                  • Jan 2005

higher quality interconnects....where to buy in internet? trade marks?
                  Im new in this concept: higher quality interconnects
                  And i live in a little island. No sellers here. I need internet sales.
                  I hear van de hul. or similar....
                  Where i find good higher quality interconnects?
                  THANKS!!!

Comment

• DrJRapp
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Apr 2003

This forum has two sponsors that sell interconnects. Cat Cables makes very high quality custom interconnects, and Parts Express sells off the shelf solutions.
                    Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• gizmo
                      • Jan 2005

Find Europe dealer?

Internet dealer for CAT cable?
                      Near Spain?
                      Is good for me silvercat?
                      Where i can buy? i can t find it in http://www.partsexpress.com
                      thanks!!

Comment

• gd
                        • Jan 2003

CatCables is an internet-only manufacturer / dealer:

greg (gd to you)
                        Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                        production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• USBeauty
                          • Jan 2005

Gizmo,
                          This is the kind of interconnect you need to connect your Marantz to your Rotel:

Friends don't let friends listen to compressed music.

Comment

• gizmo
                            • Jan 2005

Send to Europe??

Ohh thanks a lot...but this people send it to Europe?
                            Is this kind of RCA better than mine?

thanks

Comment

• eelco74
                              • Dec 2002

Hi Gizmo,

In Europe it might be easier to get something like VdHul cables. I use the D102MkIII (http://www.vandenhul.com/cable/d-102-3h.htm) as well als the D102 (http://www.vandenhul.com/cable/d-102-5s.htm).

I upgraded my denon 3801 with an RB-981 for the fronts. The 981 has more punch, since the denon runs out of breath om higher volumes.

Next upgrade was to replace the 3801 with the rsp-1068. It sounds more spacious in suround. And most of all the analogue sound is so mutch better. I hade a dedicated Stereo pre-amp (rcp972) and the rsp-1068 sounded about the same. So for music the 1068 is a fine choice as well.

I might be wise to get yoursef a good quality power cable. Remeber the 991 draws almost the same amout of power as your Marantz. Take a look at http://www.hificables.co.uk/ProductD...e-0f9ff7cd7113
                              Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
                              Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
                              Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• gizmo
                                • Jan 2005

Hi EELCO74...yur ever as friendly. Thanks.
                                Only loose a few words in your post. Just when you say

I might be wise to get yoursef a good quality power cable. Remeber the 991 draws almost the same amout of power as your Marantz.

4 ohms...150 wats 86 db...

170 w marantz at 4 ohms and 300 w Rotel at 4 ohms...
                                And Rotel Power is visible with better speaker like Audience 52 SE or Contour 1.3 or dreaming...jaja

I open other post about RSP 1066/68 vs Marantz as pre...difference in quality...
                                Thanks a lot like ever!

P.D: I was folowing Van den hul too in ebay from thursday!!This model that you said
                                D102MkIII (http://www.vandenhul.com/cable/d-102-3h.htm)
                                seems be a good horse 4 me. It has good prized/value relation.
                                Thanks!

I

Comment

• Lex
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Apr 2001

Actually Eelco74, it's very easy to order from CAT Cables. I Will even call my international customers if necessary. We can email, I ship with insurance internationally. I shipped a cable to Denmark today. We ship worldwide period.

I'd be glad to discuss cable needs outside this forum in the CAT forum here, or via email or private message.

thanks,
                                  Doug
                                  CAT Cables
                                  Doug
                                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• princeoliver
                                    • Jan 2003

Hi Gizmo,

Have you try different settings on your Marantz? I had a similar problem as you when I added a 985 amp to my Denon receiver. Eventually I upgraded to a Rotel RSX972 receiver as a pre/pro. I was still not satisfy with the sound. Then one day I set my speaker settings to 'small' and then wow the sound was exactly what I was looking for! And I have to add I have full size Mirage OM6 speakers. This might surprise some but to me the sound is more right with the speaker settings at 'small'.

Good cables and a matching pre amp will of course make a different too. But for me it was the setting in my receiver that made night and day. Also, a dedicated amp like the 985, etc. in my experience should be MUCH MUCH better than any receiver. A good dedicated amp just have more reserve making the sound more stable and smooth!

Comment

• gizmo
                                      • Jan 2005

No aparent changes

Hi Lex & Princeoliver.
                                      Thanks!
                                      I change mi settings. I have a dynaudio 42 Audience series. Great speakers. I had large in settings and change it to small. This dyns are little...but in first setup i put in large...
                                      Now i change it and...very closed...
                                      Not see any change...
                                      Other hand...i listen that when Rotel is more hot...sounds a bit better.
                                      I will change conector pre- to -amp.. to Van den hul d 102 III soon...and write here again.
                                      Im surprised in your setup discover, but in my configuration...seems not change nothing. Thanks for this posibility.Thanks a lot. I try more test and follow other ways searching better sound.

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"