X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Woo Wooooo
    • May 2004

Which DVD Player to get??? HELLLP!

I am interested in 3 DVD players and I hope some of you own either one of these players RDV-1060, RDV-1050 or the Denon 2910. This is not a Denon vs Rotel war I just want my $$$ to go to the best possible unit. I know the Denon will play SACD and the rotel will not. I just want some pro and cons with these units. What do you have? What do you recomend, like dislike about the units. If you have an opinion please help me chose the best unit out there. I also know the Rotel units are a couple of years old and the denon is new. right now my 57" sony does not have DVI or the new HDMI connectors so I would not be able to utilize them right away and I do not think i will be buying a new TV in the next year or so.

Thanks for any advice..... :T

J
    Last edited by Woo Wooooo; 03 February 2005, 00:17 Thursday. Reason: left a word out
  • nash
    • Mar 2004

I have no experience with the Rotel players, but I think my 2910 is great. I have a DLP tv, so the upscaling DVI/HDMI ports are the main selling point for me. I do not use it for audio, so I can't comment on that part of the player. The picture is the best I've seen (definitely nicer than the HD931 I had previously).

Comment

• tonych31
      • Sep 2004

I got the denon 2200 coupled with Sony Wega 36" widescreen.
      It is a fantastic dvd player with excellent picture quality. The HT and SACD sound is also excellent. Although it skips if reading dvd-r. I dont like the normal CD sound though. It just doesn't have that quality. I think for dvd player, it boils down to Denon and Toshiba. Then followed by Pioneer and Sony. I previously have the Toshiba and Pioneer. I used the Pioneer for my backup DVD-R.

Comment

• Dmantis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2004

Go with the Denon. It's a fantastic player ad has SACD. Rotel only supports DVD audio for some reason or another.

Dan

Comment

• shadow
          • Dec 2003

If you like the high def audio formats, the Rotel is out of consideration unless you dislike SACD. IMO Rotel has really dropped the ball with their mindless refusal to embrace SACD. Had they offered a universal player I suspect virtually everyone on this site would strongly consider buying it, but it appears that will never happen.

Comment

• metallo
            • Sep 2004

Hard to say...

I would look a bit closer at RDV1060 (and RDV1050 if you dont need HDCD), Denon 2910 got better specs, no question about that...

but i got 3+3 proffesional reviews on my computer, and they all have the same conclusion "fantastic DVD-A player" "best DVD-A player", even a guy who said that he will buy the player after reviewing it...

I used to own a RDV1050, but i couldnt accept that it cant send hdcd via digital connection, RDV1060 doesnt have these problems and if i can be honest, RDV1060 feels much mer luxiary and feels more "Rotel"... hard to explain.

I have never tried a Denon player and will not do it either because i dont like the design or the brand...

/Daniel

Comment

• toossie
              • Mar 2004

My opinion

Depends on what you're after. The Rotel lacks SACD, but imho that's a good thing. If you want quality you cannot put all the formats into one player (yet). I auditioned the Rotel 1060, because it seemed to be good with audio as well (cd's). Well....it is, but it nowhere near my dedicated cd-player. Video was very good. I can't say anything about DVD-A because I haven't tested it. My dealer said that the picture quality of the 1050 is exactly the same as the 1060, so he recommended that one to me since I am sticking with a dedicated cd-player. I'm picking it up this afternoon together with the RCD-1072 cd-player. I hope he is right with his advice, otherwise I will have to trade the 1050 for the 1060 again. Keep you posted!

Comment

• shadow
                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by toossie
                Depends on what you're after. The Rotel lacks SACD, but imho that's a good thing. If you want quality you cannot put all the formats into one player (yet). I auditioned the Rotel 1060, because it seemed to be good with audio as well (cd's). Well....it is, but it nowhere near my dedicated cd-player. Video was very good. I can't say anything about DVD-A because I haven't tested it. My dealer said that the picture quality of the 1050 is exactly the same as the 1060, so he recommended that one to me since I am sticking with a dedicated cd-player. I'm picking it up this afternoon together with the RCD-1072 cd-player. I hope he is right with his advice, otherwise I will have to trade the 1050 for the 1060 again. Keep you posted!
                Sure you can have it all. The Denon 5900(now discontinued but available used at good prices), the 3910 and new 5910 all have great sound and state of the art video. Pioneer also makes a great player, the Elite 59 (I think) which sounds and looks very good. If you have the money, the Linn and other high end brands sound great on all formats. Seems it is always the guys who do not make (or sell) universal players who claim you can't get quality in a universal. :roll:

Comment

• Buick92
                  • Feb 2005

I purchased a Pioneer DV-578A in silver for $179.00 (CDN), its plays SACD and DVD A. It has played all the disks that I can throw at it, It even made all my MP3's and regular CD's sound excellent. For the price, if it lasts even one year you can then decide to upgrade to a better unit with little investment.

Comment

• resperc
                    • May 2004

For what it is worth I own a Denon DVD-2910. It is hooked up to a 34" Sony XBR HD-ready monitor. The pic is great. It sounds good with CDs as well. Granted, it does not sound like "high-end" dedicated CD player, but it does not embarrass itself either. Overall I have been very pleased. Good luck on your decision.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"