X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DJDREW
    • Dec 2004

Music Studio

I am planning on building a studio and want to know in anyones opinion if they think Rotel amp can handle the task, and what model. I will be only using two channels. I was think a A 1070 or seperates RC1090 and RB1080. What do you guys think?

Next I have to work on some good monitors too.
    Rotel For Life :T
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Well that depends a lot on your budget. Rotel will give you great performance for the dollar but there is better stuff out there... It just costs more Same with speakers. If you're looking for something neutral (I would imagine you's want the least coloured sound possible for a studio) PSB is one of my favourite companies that make extremely neutral measuring/great sounding speakers in a midrange price point. Again though, there are better speakers that cost more....
    Jason

Comment

• DJDREW
      • Dec 2004

What about powered monitors what are your thought on thos M audio makes some decent ones I guess

Comment

• basementjack
        • Dec 2004

DJDrew, you need to go listen!

I wanted to like the PSB Image series speakers, as I found an internet dealer that was selling them at a huge discount, but as much as I tried, they just weren't for me. So far the best for my ears has been the B&W 800 series and also the Paradigm Studio series.

- Jack

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by basementjack2
          DJDrew, you need to go listen!

I wanted to like the PSB Image series speakers, as I found an internet dealer that was selling them at a huge discount, but as much as I tried, they just weren't for me. So far the best for my ears has been the B&W 800 series and also the Paradigm Studio series.

- Jack
          Glad you mentioned hearing them. The PSB's tend to be very neutral and measure very flat which can make them less "exciting" or "engaging" than other speakers that might be otherwise slightly coloured to make them more appealing. My Energy's and your B&W's would fall in to that group, both great speakers but they do make the sounds slightly prettier than they "should be" For a studio however, I would expect that you would want as neutral as possible speakers so as to not affect any mixing/mastering decisions and the actual software can be as close as possible to the intended sound on many other systems that may not be as neutral...?

You may also want to look in to pro gear. Look for info on what pro's are using, hell call a couple of better, local studio's and ask what they're using :T
          Jason

Comment

• purplepeople
            • Aug 2004

I don't like the M-Audio BX-5. I would say it has a little too much edge. Unfortunately, not much else in the same price point, especially when you are talking about street prices.

I think the Tannoy Reveal Passives make good monitors. Stay away from the Reveal Actives, much harsher... as if the amps are not very good.

Your price point and where you are determines what you should be listening to.

If you can afford any of the following, I suggest you listen to the Mackie 624, the Genelec 8030, Dynaudio BM-5a, and the Yorkville YSM-1P. All slightly different, but very good, very detailed, lots of extension and relatively smooth. I think the Yorkvilles are very good, especially for the really low street price.

ensen.
            Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it...

Comment

• DJDREW
              • Dec 2004

Thanks for all the help guys

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"